( +5 hidden )
October 17, 2021 at 2:54 pm #1204523276
I’m sorry but if there was a movie that could have been an easy target for critics this year, it was TLD. Yet they like it enough and maybe that old-fashioned style made it stand out for most of them.
Any other “they gave it a pass” narrative comes pretty much from people that were ready to mock the film but it backfired lol.October 17, 2021 at 3:49 pm #1204523317
There is cinema outside of superhero or blockbuster movies.
But not at large budgets.
The shrinking of what kinds of movies can get meaningful budgets in Hollywood as a result of audiences not going to see anything but a couple of genres has serious impact on film.October 17, 2021 at 4:01 pm #1204523319
But not at large budgets. The shrinking of what kinds of movies can get meaningful budgets in Hollywood as a result of audiences not going to see anything but a couple of genres has serious impact on film.
Scorsese was right. And he is relegated to APPLE. Same case with Fincher, Snyder, Bay, etc…. It’s 100% a miracle Ridley Scott is doing HOUSE OF GUCCI and GLADIATOR PART II with huge budgets and for Movie TheatersOctober 17, 2021 at 4:05 pm #1204523321
Scorsese was right. And he is relegated to APPLE. Same case with Fincher, Snyder, Bay, etc…. It’s 100% a miracle Ridley Scott is doing HOUSE OF GUCCI and GLADIATOR PART II with huge budgets and for Movie Theaters
I disagree about Driver. Adam was great. And Ridley Scott always puts the coolest actors as the villains: Joaquin Phoenix, Michael Fassbender, R. HauerOctober 17, 2021 at 5:52 pm #1204523445
I disagree about Driver. Adam was great. And Ridley Scott always puts the coolest actors as the villains: Joaquin Phoenix, Michael Fassbender, R. Hauer
I don’t understand the hate for Prometheus and Alien covenant, i thought both were great movies and Fassbender was incredible.October 17, 2021 at 9:47 pm #1204523733
But every actor needs a hit and he needs a hit to offset one-two punch of Annette and TLD.
Annette got good reviews, and Driver’s performance was universally praised even from critics who didn’t like it. Amazon is planning to campaign him for Best Actor and the film for Best Picture (he co-produced it).
And many people expected The Last Duel to get awful reviews but it ended up receiving extremely positive reactions. It may have performed poorly at the BO (that’s on Disney, not the cast and crew), but the reviews are positive and the film was scripted by writers with a proven track record. The guy who wrote House of Gucci is an unknown and HoG is his debut as a writer.October 17, 2021 at 10:04 pm #1204523748
Some interviews with the cast:
1. Grazia UK: ‘With Adam Driver, there was a respect there’: Jodie Comer on filming The Last Duel (Ridley is also interviewed, and Comer talks about filming some of the film’s uncomfortable scenes with Driver): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I9W_ef8GlHs
2. Rotten Tomatoes interview: Matt Damon, Ben Affleck praise the ‘fearlessness’ of Jodie Comer in The Last Duel (Holofcener and Comer are also interviewed): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iNXDFMuSXWk
3. Fandango All Access interview with the cast and Holofcener: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NNFdCHySZbk
4. IMDB interview with Comer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UpEC0yn8P0I
5. Elle Hong Kong interview with Comer and Holofcener: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TDKWADifb8U
6. BlackFilmandTV interview with the writers: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w42o5lxjV8A
7. Hollywood Reporter interview: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JWRR-soJa7AOctober 17, 2021 at 10:12 pm #1204523757
Dariusz Wolski, Janty Yates and Harry Gregson-Williams were interviwed by Koalition about making the film: https://thekoalition.com/2021/the-creative-minds-behind-the-last-duel-explain-how-they-created-a-cohesive-vision
Janty Yates (who won an Oscar for Gladiator) talks about the costumes for each character:
1. Jacques Le Gris: “We enhanced Adam’s whole look as he got richer and he got more glamorous; as he got richer his cloaks were longer and his armor was golden or gilded. It was it was a lovely arc to build on.
2. Count Pierre: “Pierre who is played by Ben Affleck, I just kept adding more stuff. We put more jewels on him we gave him gold and black shoes we put more fur it was just adding more and more until he looked like a Christmas tree and I loved that,” said Janty.
3. Carrouges: For Damon’s character, Janty remembers Scott describing him as more of a military man, not a fancy man. He described Adam Driver’s character Le Gris as someone who would be driving a Ferrari, which made her laugh. Le Gris’ wardrobe looks slightly heavier and more structured, all his shirts are embroidered and he is in black most of the time.
4. Marguerite: For Marguerite, whom Scott describes as a dressed down noble, Janty chose a variety of different fabrics which she draped on Jodie Comer and photographed. “She has several dresses in linen, which are very functional, which she wears around the farm when she is collecting rent,” she says. “Her duel dress is very simple. Ridley wanted her in black on the scaffold, and we found the most glorious fabric that really stands out. It has a very striking neck piece and is worn under a cloak.”October 18, 2021 at 5:02 am #1204523973
2021 hasn’t been kind to Matt Damon.
It looks like a repetition of his disastrous 2017.
With the double serve of commercial failures of Stillwater and The Last Duel (and despite the latter having an increased critical acclaim with the second wave of reviews in the USA, he was still the weakest link completely outshined by Comer, Affleck, and Driver who all took best career notices), Matt Damon’s star power and movie star status keeps falling into decline, and at the age of 51 years old, he’s not getting any younger.
It will be interesting to see if studios will still give him other chances in the future regarding making and carrying big movies like this one.October 18, 2021 at 5:26 am #1204524000
The other Affleck/Fox film, Deep Water, is also a potential flop because it’s going up against Scream 5. There’s no way they’re keeping that date, right?October 18, 2021 at 5:57 am #1204524039
The other Affleck/Fox film, Deep Water, is also a potential flop because it’s going up against Scream 5. There’s no way they’re keeping that date, right?
I’m pretty sure the studio is going to bury that film 💀 It’s disappointing because it’s Adrian Lyne’s first film in 2 decades. We’re in October and there’s 0 promo for it. Scream already has a trailer and poster. The two leads were romantically involved and later broke up. I won’t be shocked if neither of them wants to promote it.October 18, 2021 at 6:02 am #1204524050
Comer is on one of the cover of Elle magazine’s annual Women in Hollywood issue! Elle usually celebrates their honorees at an event where they receive their awards. I hope it happens this year. If it does, it’ll likely be in November. Angelina Jolie, Salma Hayek, Gemma Chan and Gal Gadot are some of the other honorees. Link to the interview with Comer: https://www.elle.com/culture/celebrities/a37939744/jodie-comer-women-in-hollywood-2021/Not now
The topic ‘The Last Duel (Ridley Scott, Jodie Comer, Adam Driver)’ is closed to new replies.