Home Forums Movies The Lion King (2019)

The Lion King (2019)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 136 through 150 (of 203 total)
Created
2 years ago
Last Reply
1 hour ago
replies
views
users
Tyler [Last N..
upitt
Thatcher
  • Tyler The Awesome Guy
    Participant
    Topics:

The problem with this movie is this.

While the visual effects are spectacular, the problem is that they decided to not have the animals emote much to resemble realism (because let’s face it animals aren’t really that good of actors), but this is a double-edged sword. Yes, it looks real, but it doesn’t work in a visual medium like film because you need to display a range of expression needed to tell the story. The Lion King (1994) had the benefit of being anthropomorphized the way they were so that the animals still behaved like real animals, but still were able to emote like humans when the story needed them too.

In the scene where Mufasa dies, Simba is visually heartbroken. The father that he loves more than anything else is taken from him at a young age, and worst of all, his uncle pins the blame of his death on him. When you look at Simba in that scene, the emotion that he displays is real and genuine, like how someone would emote when losing a loved one so dear to him. That scene is an emotional powerhouse, feeling sadness when Mufasa dies and anger when Scar blames him for it.

In the new one because there is no emotion from the characters and because Jon Favreau made the ludicrous decision of having characters not emote in a visual medium, all the poignancy in that scene is sapped out. It’s like “oh my father died… I don’t care I guess”. It’s so frustrating!

Jon Favreau is under the misapprehension that live-action means “better” when it doesn’t. The original is far superior in every way! It’s the only Lion King I want to remember. There’s a reason why everyone remembers the 1994 one and no one will remember this version in another 25 years. Guarantee it.

In a fair and just society, this movie would be nominated for the Razzie for Worst Picture. I am not going to give Disney money so they can ruin more classics of my childhood. If I ever do choose to watch this movie, I am pirating it.

I'm not perfect, but I keep trying.

ReplyCopy URL
    Tyler The Awesome Guy
    Participant
    Topics:

Not a single person on this planet will say “this version of Lion King was better than the 1994 version”.

ReplyCopy URL
    Seven
    Participant
    Topics:

I’m glad to see this doing well at the BO and pissing Film Twitter off.

ReplyCopy URL
    Anonymous
    Topics:

The songs are dull and passable.

ReplyCopy URL
    BenitoDelicias
    Participant
    Topics:

A huge mess with amazing effects. A movie saving performance from Rogen and especially Eichner. Donald Glover sucked all the life out of Simba, you can’t even hear him in “Can You Feel…”. Beyonce submitted her list of demands. They surrendered. The end.

ReplyCopy URL
    Seven
    Participant
    Topics:

It got an “A” Cinemascore. The audience really said fuck a critic, lol

ReplyCopy URL
    Seven
    Participant
    Topics:

$78.5M opening day. At worst it will frontload to $170M. $200M seems likely since the audiences love it.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/box-office-lion-king-biting-huge-180m-200m-us-bow-1225682

• This reply was modified 1 month ago by  Seven.
    ReplyCopy URL
    Tyler The Awesome Guy
    Participant
    Topics:

It got an “A” Cinemascore. The audience really said fuck a critic, lol

Cinemascore RARELY gives movies lower than an A- grade. Cars 2 got an A- for Pete’s sake!

Cinemascore is that pathetic friend that likes every movie ever made.

ReplyCopy URL
    TOSHlRO
    Participant
    Topics:

It was terrible, even worse than Aladdin. At least Aladdin, while a visual wreck, had a sense of human emotion. Lion King remake destroyed everything about the original. Voice-acting was bad across the board except Mufasa, Pumbaa, Timon, and Kid Simba.

Chiwetel Eijofor, Donald Glover, and Beyonce deserve Razzies for this.

ReplyCopy URL
    Thatcher, Prime Minister of GoldDerby
    Participant
    Topics:

Darlings, Thatcher thinks this version was better than the 1994 version.

LENA HEADEY hasn't got an Emmy for Game of Thrones????? Emmys you need to win her right now!!

Lena Headey ("Game of Thrones") for Outstanding Supporting Actress in a Drama Series.

If Lena Headey doesn't win the Emmy, I'm leaving GoldDerby forever.

ReplyCopy URL
    Megan
    Participant
    Topics:

Let’s be real. Your taste sucks.

I serve the tea (politely)

ReplyCopy URL
    Seven
    Participant
    Topics:

$531M WW opening. $185M domestic. Hihi

ReplyCopy URL
    Aint2Proud2Beg
    Participant
    Topics:

Ladies and Gentlemen. I present to you Queen Beyonce, the “legendary” and “gifted” musical “icon” who recently gifted us with another work of art.

ReplyCopy URL
    Tyler The Awesome Guy
    Participant
    Topics:

I am honestly not surprised, considering that Thatcher has dementia and recently died.

ReplyCopy URL
    Seven
    Participant
    Topics:

Ladies and Gentlemen. I present to you Queen Beyonce, the “legendary” and “gifted” musical “icon” who recently gifted us with another work of art.

Some of these are absolute reaches, but otherwise this is kinda disappointing of her.

This said, people need to realize once and for all that these type of things need to be blamed on the directors and creatives and not the popstars who most likely don’t even have an idea. Beyoncé is merely an actor on these videos. She was presented with a concept which she approved and I doubt she knew about the original video. If anything her mistake here was not being careful enough.

• This reply was modified 4 weeks ago by  Seven.
    ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 136 through 150 (of 203 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.