Home Forums Movies The Lion King (2019)

The Lion King (2019)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 181 through 195 (of 208 total)
Created
2 years ago
Last Reply
3 days ago
replies
views
users
Tyler [Last N..
upitt
Thatcher
  • Megan
    Participant
    Topics:

Let’s be real. Beyoncé’s flop is funny.

I serve the tea (politely)

ReplyCopy URL
    circa 1993
    Participant
    Topics:

Looks like we haven’t seen the last of Beyonce and her movies (and film-based musical content).

Disney is so pleased with Beyonce and her contributions to the film that she’s securing the bag by working with them now on ANOTHER film! Get that paper, Bey!!!

https://www.list.co.uk/article/110023-beyonce-in-talks-with-disney-to-create-new-movie/

And with $990 million as of last night, it will most likely cross the billion-dollar mark by the end of the day today!

Calling it now…Beyoncé as Princess Tiana in The Princess & The Frog.

ReplyCopy URL
    Gabarnes43
    Participant
    Topics:

I don’t get why Beyonce is meant to be the stand out of the movie, she did nothing special. I much preferred Seth and Billy and John Oliver for their comedic elements

FYC Emmys 2019 ‘Killing Eve’ ‘Sandra Oh’ ‘Fiona Shaw’ ‘Bob Odenkirk ‘Jonathan Banks’ ‘Fleabag’ ‘Phoebe Waller Bridge ‘Olivia Colman’ ‘Ted Danson’ ‘Alan Arkin’ ‘Kristin Scott Thomas’

FYC OSCARS 2020- ‘Little Women’ ‘Saoirse Ronan’ ‘Maggie Smith’ ‘Downton Abbey’ ‘Emma Thompson ‘Late Night’

ReplyCopy URL
    upitt
    Participant
    Topics:

The Lion King is now the 19th highest-grossing film of all time, and officially the 2nd most commercially successful film of 2019, behind only Avengers: Endgame. Love it!!!

https://www.forbes.com/sites/travisbean/2019/08/05/box-office-the-lion-king-now-the-19th-highest-earner-of-all-time/#22abc4782061

ReplyCopy URL
    upitt
    Participant
    Topics:

The Lion King is only $40 million away from becoming the most commercially successful animated film of ALL TIME!!!! YESSSSSS!!!!

https://www.forbes.com/sites/travisbean/2019/08/06/box-office-the-lion-king-is-40-million-from-becoming-top-animated-movie-ever/#17cd613367bc

ReplyCopy URL
    Tyler The Awesome Guy
    Participant
    Topics:

That’s really fucking sad. Why couldn’t it belong to a more worthy animated feature?

I'm not perfect, but I keep trying.

ReplyCopy URL
    Tyler The Awesome Guy
    Participant
    Topics:

This movie is terrible because it is abundantly clear that there was no effort put forth whatsoever from anyone. They just recycled the music from the first movie, albeit with some re-recording from the orchestra. They recycled 90% of the script, made certain scenes needlessly longer, and the idiot mistake of having the animals not emote in a fucking visual medium where you NEED TO HAVE characters emoting in order to illicit a response from the audience. That is the primary rule of filmmaking and it’s what made the first movie so amazing, because they anthropomorphized the first film in such a perfect way to make them believable lions but still be able to tell the range of expression needed to tell the story.

The 1994 movie was trying to give you something new, something different, something that people wanted to see. An epic story, beautiful animation, stellar voice acting, breathtaking music. Here it’s copy-and-paste almost line for line and the voice acting is somehow like community theater even though we have super talented actors in this movie. It’s weird.

It’s almost like Disney can just release anything, plaster a name of a familiar property on it, and people just are hypnotized into seeing it because Disney and they are making truckloads of money off of this with no effort. Man, I should try this. Live-action Snow White but it’s just 2 hours of a flower. I’ll make so much money! As a review I saw said, “why be alive when dead is enough. People would still see dead Disney”.

Also Seth Rogen should never sing again for the rest of his natural life.

And yet this movie is what people felt was necessary to make the highest grossing animated film of all time. At least with Frozen, I wasn’t a big fan of that movie, but at least I could understand it with that movie. This is just Razzie-worthy crap and yet it deserves to dethrone Frozen. Sad world. Now I am hoping and actively praying that Frozen 2 dethrones this. Toy Story 4 is eons better and yet it hasn’t surpassed $1 billion.

The visuals are awesome, but that is pretty much the only bright spot. At the end of Disney’s Meet the Robinsons, there is a Walt Disney quote that appears onscreen about how you need to “keep moving forward”. This is the complete opposite of moving forward. Creatively bankrupt, but financially Scrooge McDuck’s money vault.

ReplyCopy URL
    upitt
    Participant
    Topics:

By the end of the weekend, “The Lion King” will officially become the most commercially successful animated film of all time, worldwide!

ReplyCopy URL
    upitt
    Participant
    Topics:

Its official! “The Lion King” has officially dethroned “Frozen” as the most commercially successful animated film of ALL TIME!!

https://www.cinemablend.com/news/2477913/the-lion-king-just-dethroned-frozen-as-highest-grossing-animated-movie-ever

ReplyCopy URL
    Tyler The Awesome Guy
    Participant
    Topics:

That is pathetic.

ReplyCopy URL
    Thatcher, Prime Minister of GoldDerby
    Participant
    Topics:

Darlings, this movie is getting what it deserves in terms of money. It’ll make into my personal Best Picture ballot for sure.

LENA HEADEY hasn't got an Emmy for Game of Thrones????? Emmys you need to win her right now!!

Lena Headey ("Game of Thrones") for Outstanding Supporting Actress in a Drama Series.

If Lena Headey doesn't win the Emmy, I'm leaving GoldDerby forever.

ReplyCopy URL
    upitt
    Participant
    Topics:

$1.3 Billion and climbing – winning!

ReplyCopy URL
    Steezy
    Participant
    Topics:

Its official! “The Lion King” has officially dethroned “Frozen” as the most commercially successful animated film of ALL TIME!!

https://www.cinemablend.com/news/2477913/the-lion-king-just-dethroned-frozen-as-highest-grossing-animated-movie-ever

Nice!! It’s deserved.

ReplyCopy URL
    Tyler The Awesome Guy
    Participant
    Topics:

No! No it’s not! It’s a mediocre film at best.

ReplyCopy URL
    Thatcher, Prime Minister of GoldDerby
    Participant
    Topics:

No! No it’s not! It’s a mediocre film at best.

Darling, you’re the definition of mediocre. I remembered you being exposed on these forums. You should be ashamed.

LENA HEADEY hasn't got an Emmy for Game of Thrones????? Emmys you need to win her right now!!

Lena Headey ("Game of Thrones") for Outstanding Supporting Actress in a Drama Series.

If Lena Headey doesn't win the Emmy, I'm leaving GoldDerby forever.

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 181 through 195 (of 208 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.