Home Forums Movies The Lion King (2019)

The Lion King (2019)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 121 through 135 (of 203 total)
Created
2 years ago
Last Reply
2 months ago
( +5 hidden )
replies
views
users
Tyler [Last N..
upitt
Thatcher
  • BICTH
    Participant
    Topics:

Speaking of Beyoncé, she was absolutely robbed a golden globe nomination for best comedy actress for Obsessed. Should’ve even won over Meryl Streep – Julie & Julia.

I watch that fight scene on a religious level

ReplyCopy URL
    Thatcher, Former Prime Minister of GoldDerby
    Participant
    Topics:

I watch that fight scene on a religious level

She was certainly better than Oscar winner Blondie Bullock.

I was your Prime Minister once.

ReplyCopy URL
    Pulp
    Participant
    Topics:

I just listened to can you feel the love tonight. What a disgrace, that was awful. This movie looks soooo bad. I’m not a big fan of the original movie, but if I’m watching a movie about talking and singing animals, I’d much rather it be animated. Live action just seems super weird to me.

ReplyCopy URL
    vinny
    Participant
    Topics:

Seeing it tommorrow. Will report back

Missed the advance screening Saturday 🙁 …if ur not there in time they give it to a stand by person (and there are a lot usually).

ReplyCopy URL
    Kailey96
    Participant
    Topics:

I am also waiting for watching this awesome movie

ReplyCopy URL
    upitt
    Participant
    Topics:

The official “Spirit” video – Amazing!!!!!!!!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=civgUOommC8

ReplyCopy URL
    upitt
    Participant
    Topics:

Beyone just released an extended music video of “Spirit” that includes “Bigger” – get into it!!

https://thatgrapejuice.net/2019/07/new-video-beyonce-spirit-bigger-extended-cut/

ReplyCopy URL
    Why U So Obsessed?
    Participant
    Topics:

The Lion King is a perfectly fine film. The negative reactions are unwarranted. It’s MUCH better than Aladdin.

The cast is sufficient, the visuals are stunning, and it doesn’t stray too far from the original source material.

“Spirit” is an underwhelming song. But it will receive nominations based on Beyoncé’s name. It’s a generic, inspirational, ballad. Which award shows love.

“The best way to make someone feel small, is to not say anything to them at all” —>clicks ignore button

ReplyCopy URL
    Megan
    Participant
    Topics:

Let’s be real. This wasn’t a bad movie. As I read above, is an improvement over Aladdin. Its visual effects are a masterpiece.

I serve the tea (politely)

ReplyCopy URL
    Luca
    Keymaster
    Topics:

This was good. The visual effects, Zimmer’s score, and the cinematography in some scenes stood out. JD McCrary & Donald Glover were absolutely flawless as Simba, as were Seth Rogan (Pumbaa) and Billy Eichner (Timon). It was a perfectly fine film that hit some notes, but not enough of them. At the end of the movie, you’re kind of left with a big “why?” Sure, the look of it is unique, but the story was literally the exact same; I did not leave the theater in a pool of nostalgia or any emotions as such. I found the pacing to be off at times, and I didn’t feel like some emotions were earned in this movie, while they certainly were in the original. Also, the final confrontation felt so much bigger, so much more “epic” in the original, as did the hyena chase scene.

As I said, it’s a very enjoyable watch, but I hope that first-time watchers go back and watch the original sometime down the line.

ReplyCopy URL
    Tyler The Awesome Guy
    Participant
    Topics:

The problem with this movie is this.

While the visual effects are spectacular, the problem is that they decided to not have the animals emote much to resemble realism (because let’s face it animals aren’t really that good of actors), but this is a double-edged sword. Yes, it looks real, but it doesn’t work in a visual medium like film because you need to display a range of expression needed to tell the story. The Lion King (1994) had the benefit of being anthropomorphized the way they were so that the animals still behaved like real animals, but still were able to emote like humans when the story needed them too.

In the scene where Mufasa dies, Simba is visually heartbroken. The father that he loves more than anything else is taken from him at a young age, and worst of all, his uncle pins the blame of his death on him. When you look at Simba in that scene, the emotion that he displays is real and genuine, like how someone would emote when losing a loved one so dear to him. That scene is an emotional powerhouse, feeling sadness when Mufasa dies and anger when Scar blames him for it.

In the new one because there is no emotion from the characters and because Jon Favreau made the ludicrous decision of having characters not emote in a visual medium, all the poignancy in that scene is sapped out. It’s like “oh my father died… I don’t care I guess”. It’s so frustrating!

Jon Favreau is under the misapprehension that live-action means “better” when it doesn’t. The original is far superior in every way! It’s the only Lion King I want to remember. There’s a reason why everyone remembers the 1994 one and no one will remember this version in another 25 years. Guarantee it.

In a fair and just society, this movie would be nominated for the Razzie for Worst Picture. I am not going to give Disney money so they can ruin more classics of my childhood. If I ever do choose to watch this movie, I am pirating it.

I'm not perfect, but I keep trying.

ReplyCopy URL
    Tyler The Awesome Guy
    Participant
    Topics:

Not a single person on this planet will say “this version of Lion King was better than the 1994 version”.

I'm not perfect, but I keep trying.

ReplyCopy URL
    Seven
    Participant
    Topics:

I’m glad to see this doing well at the BO and pissing Film Twitter off.

ReplyCopy URL
    Anonymous
    Topics:
    This post was found to be inappropriate by the moderators and has been removed.
    BenitoDelicias
    Participant
    Topics:

A huge mess with amazing effects. A movie saving performance from Rogen and especially Eichner. Donald Glover sucked all the life out of Simba, you can’t even hear him in “Can You Feel…”. Beyonce submitted her list of demands. They surrendered. The end.

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 121 through 135 (of 203 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.