Home Forums Movies Theory of Everything(Focus, 2014)

Theory of Everything(Focus, 2014)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 50 total)
Created
6 years ago
Last Reply
5 years ago
( +1 hidden )
replies
views
users
seabel
Kristen Boyer
Denis
  • Profile picture
    GraemeONeil
    Topics:
    kavinmarter
    Topics:

Its good news to be here about this kind of movies and always in wait of adventures and battle movies. In all battle movies there are genarally battle between two armies and in this we will watch the battle of five armis which gonna be strange and am gonna so ecxited to Watch The Hobbit The Battle of the Five Armies.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Topics:
    This post was found to be inappropriate by the moderators and has been removed.
    Profile picture
    Denis
    Topics:

It’s not the actors fault if the writing was a piece of shit, they did the best with what was given, at least that is my opinion, and you should also highlight that this is your opinion, do not generalize it.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Topics:
    This post was found to be inappropriate by the moderators and has been removed.
    Profile picture
    Ryan Lapierre
    Topics:

Finally saw it! I liked it I didn’t love it. Redmayne and Jones deliver great peformances. Especially Redmayne who DOMINATES this movie. However I don’t see this being a threat to win BP. But it’s solid for a nomination. I think it will wind up with Picture, Actor, Actress, Adapted screenplay, And score. Possibly M&H it depends how much they like the movie. Everyone that I work with loved it though. But the Imitation Game is gonna be the big British film this year.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    ETPhoneHome
    Topics:

Ok, I’ve seen it now, and while Redmayne is MUCH better than Keaton, Birdman was better than Theory of Everything. I’m not sure if Theory of Everything can get all the nominations it’s predicted for, but Redmayne should definitely be in. It’s also remarkably edited, adding to its excellent pacing. I would put it third or fourth in that race for now. Jones wasn’t remarkable to me, but probably good enough for a nomination. I haven’t seen many of the Actress contenders, but she’s my second for now behind Pike. Score was solid, so was Screenplay, and it’s definitely a contender for makeup. So, with 6 potential nominations, it can probably get in Picture. If it doesn’t get all that support, then that probably won’t happen.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    manakamana
    Topics:

I have it down for 
    Picture
    Actress
    Actor
    Screenplay
    Costumes
    Makeup
    Score

I, personally, thought it was a very effective emotional picture with a lot of creative flaws. But the people in my theater ate it up — you could hear sniffling as soon as 20 mintues into the film and even the bros accompanying their dates in the mandatory post-movie urinal line after were talking about how they liked it way more than Interstellar — so I personally wouldn’t underestimate it, at least as far as nominees are concerned; and I do think Eddie may be the frontrunner, with Oyelowo right on his back. I personally preferred the emotional warmth he was able to communicate which such limited means, even moreso than Day-Lewis in My Left Foot

Keaton is, on paper, safest to be nominated, but I think that nomination will be considered sufficient reward. I read reports of how voters are so taken with Eddie’s performance in screenings and Q&As, especially when he talks about meeting A.L.S. victims, tracing the course of how the illness would have looked like with an expert, and especially how he had to film scenes of Hawking in different stages of his illness in the same day for budget constraints. I know of some people who are still even doubting the idea of his nomination, which is just mind boggling.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    benbraddock
    Topics:

I think this film will get 4 nominations

Actor
    Actress
    Adapted screenplay
    Score

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Malick
    Topics:

I think this film will get 4 nominations
    Actor
    Actress
    Adapted screenplay
    Score

I don’t understand the praise Felicity Jones has garnered. She does not deserve a nomination.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    GraemeONeil
    Topics:

This is a solid film, but it’s by no means Best Picture worthy. I don’t get why Goldderby is trying to promote the idea that it is. It didn’t have that kind of reaction in the screening I saw (here’s my review: http://graemeoneil.com/2014/11/25/review-the-theory-of-everything/). Since Chadwick Boseman won’t be nominated, I’m totally onboard with Redmayne winning. He should absolutely win over Keaton.
    Jones would be a decent nominee. She’s not in my top 5 (people like Byrne and Holmes are above her), but she’d be a fine nominee. 

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    AMG
    Topics:

I think it will get in for Picture/Actor/Actress/Adapted Screenplay/Score. Jones is brilliant in the film, I don’t get why people were suggesting that hers was a supporting role, when it is the lead role. I thought she was more lead than Redmayne. She thoroughly deserves any nominations she receives.

Redmayne is also excellent. He does get lost in the role, the same way I felt when I saw Streep in The Iron Lady. (That is a compliment) It doesn’t feel like I’m watching a performance because it just seems so natural.

The score is great, and could well win here, but will have to beat Interstellar.

The screenplay is great too. There is light and shade, I am laughing one moment, and then bought back down to earth with a bang with the emotion of the film just a minute later. It seems weird to say, because it is a real story, but all of the characters feel human, and you believe that they are real people, who are likeable and relatable.  

Overall, I would give the film 4.5*. Out of the main Oscar contenders I’ve seen so far, I would rank it 3rd, behind Gone Girl & Interstellar, but ahead of Boyhood. 

Check out more of my thoughts on Twitter (@AMG_Review) and Instagram (amg_reviews)

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Denis
    Topics:

Just because she Jones didn’t give an exagerated on the nose weteyes performance doesn’t mean that her performance wasn’t subtle and deep and at the end she totally expressed all the heavy weight she was carrying all this time without being eye-rolling like some over hyped actresses on this forum does not mean she isn’t worth of a nomination.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Kristen Boyer
    Topics:

Felicity was great in the film. Just because her performance was not as showy as Eddie’s does not mean it was not good.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    nkb325
    Topics:

Saw this movie the other day and I have to admit it won me over. Not my favorite movie of the year but im pretty susceptible to this kind of emotional triumph over adversity story. I definitely think it will get in for Best Picture and so far I think it would be a deserving nomination, but id have to see more of the contenders.

Redmayne is great as everyones saying. I can go into everything he did so incredibly but everyone else has already said it. But I still can’t make up my mind about him vs. Keaton. I need more time to decide which is my persona favorite.

Jones was fantastic. In a much less showy role, I personally think she was perhaps just as good as Redmayne. She carried so much of the weight the character was going to and you could see her as madly in love adoration slowly became more like an obligation. You could always tell how she felt about Stephen and how much of a toll it must have put on her. The look on her face as she watches the recently diagnosed Stephen playing croquet is incredible, so much conveyed without her saying a word. And the role is absolutely leading. To put her supporting I think would be major category fraud, even worse than the Roberts case that got everyone so upset last year. She may be my personal winner so far, but I have to see if the performance sticks with me. Her and Pike are fighting it out but I still havent seen Still Alice or Wild.

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 50 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.