Home Forums Movies things we learned from Oscars 2021

things we learned from Oscars 2021

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 79 total)
Created
2 months ago
Last Reply
2 months ago
replies
views
users
KingOfMovies
Chitanda170
wolfali
  • Profile picture
    Butz
    Topics:

Also one thing I took away from yesterday: Bong Joon-ho will definitely be nominated again, if not win. He literally got a bigger and more epic introduction than every single one of the A-list actors and actresses. They know that he’s a star.

FYC - Oscars 2022:
    NINE DAYS in all categories, including:
    - Best Picture
    - Best Director
    - Best Original Screenplay
    - Best Actor (Winston Duke)
    - Best Supporting Actress (Zazie Beetz)
    - Best Supporting Actor (Benedict Wong)

Letterboxd: Ray_In_Bruges

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    gorman
    Topics:

To always announce Best Picture last.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Still a bit disappointed at Carey’s loss but so happy it went to a superb performance delivered by one of the coolest actors working in Hollywood.

This is exactly how I feel!

The thing I’ve learnt (or is more reinforced) is that it’s almost impossible to win an acting award without a strong contender elsewhere unless you sweep. The fact that Marion Cotillard, Olivia Colman and Frances McDormand had upset wins for stronger films proved this theory.

Also never underestimate BAFTA. People were going all out about how they’re “irrelevant” this year but they went 8 for 8 with the big 8 categories. I predicted Mulligan because of the theory about needing a BP nomination (she was probably second) but really I should have predicted McDormand. Especially because I kept telling people they were underestimating the fact that Nomadland has no problem winning Actress in an open field.

FYC Emmys: "The Crown" in all categories, "I May Destroy You" in all categories, "It's a Sin" in all categories, "Small Axe" in all categories, Billie Piper ("I Hate Suzie"), Yvonne Strahovski ("Stateless") and Ruth Wilson ("His Dark Materials")

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Vicki Leekx
    Topics:

Campaigns don’t matter, neither do precursors

FYC:

Virginie Efira, Charlotte Rampling, Lambert Wilson, Benedetta (Actress, Supporting Actress, Supporting Actor)

Jim Broadbent, Helen Mirren, The Duke (Actor, Supporting Actress)

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Elazul
    Topics:

We learned that the ghost of On Golden Pond is still here and the academy will always love to award old people. Not that the performances were bad but I do think the GG had it better this time.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    cinetastic
    Topics:

We learned that BAFTA has more influence on Oscars and Golden Globes has zero influence.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    SN
    Topics:

Narrative don’t work for you if you’re black.

That’s how I feel. Made no mistake, Hopkins deserved to win, but Boseman had a hell of a narrative and that wasn’t enough for him to win. Almost every year we see white folks winning over more memorable performances, but seems like the same can’t happen with black actors.

what about cinematography? which shot from Mank guaranteed its rare win for as b&w movie, in your opinion?

Mank didn’t look authentic in my opinion. It tried to look like an old movie but still looked like a contemporary film shot in B&W. It should’ve been shot in film.

Nomadland deserved to win and it’s really strange it didn’t.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    restlessmao
    Topics:

We learned that AACTA is not a precursor. They went 1/7.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    KAZ-2.5
    Topics:

Minorities can only win in the supporting acting categories. The lead acting categories are for white people only.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    methaddiction
    Topics:

Glenn and Chadwick had the biggest narratives ever and couldn’t win the Oscar after losing at BAFTA so we definitely know what precursor is the most important.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    SN
    Topics:

Campaigns don’t matter, neither do precursors

Well, BAFTA is still a precursor and it got most categories right. If precursors didn’t matter, Mulligan would’ve won.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Topics:

BAFTA + late-breaker is stronger than Globe + SAG

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Pollo crudo
    Topics:

That SAG is less important each year

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    jjjmoss1
    Topics:

Minorities can only win in the supporting acting categories. The lead acting categories are for white people only.

I am a bit confused though. Aside from Halle-Only, 2001-2006 had 3 Black Actor winners in 6 years (50%), then nothing for 14 years.

So what happened there. Is the increasing international presence the awards obsessed keeps touting actually partially responsible for this backslide? I mean, look at Bafta (Ejiofor aside, but they purposefully ignored the existence of actor sweeping Dallas Buyers altogether).

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Ghost
    Topics:

Posthumous wins aren’t guaranteed.

Close needs a Best Picture vehicle in the same vain as Anthony Hopkins in The Father to win an Oscar. Being the only good thing in an unseen or critically panned film is only good for a nomination. She was never winning over Yuh-jung Youn in Supporting Actress.

Black actresses will continue to be factors in Supporting but non-factors in Lead. The fact that a biracial woman has the claim of being the only “Black Lead Actress Winner” says enough.

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 79 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.