Home Forums Movies things we learned from Oscars 2021

things we learned from Oscars 2021

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 79 total)
Created
3 months ago
Last Reply
3 months ago
replies
views
users
KingOfMovies
Chitanda170
wolfali
  • Profile picture
    Kafka_Gyllenhaal
    Topics:

Also, not like we didn’t know this already, but Disney-Pixar owns Animated Feature. I know I’m in the minority which thought that Soul wasn’t the best nominee here (obviously Wolfwalkers) but even if Soul hadn’t come out this year then Onward would at the very least have been able to put up a good fight against Wolfwalkers.

FYC: Minari for Everything

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Spenser
    Topics:

When putting together a film-centric awards ceremony, showing the work (clips, designs) is more thrilling than panning to and staring at nominees who are attempting to avoid eye-contact with the camera.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Clement
    Topics:

A black woman will win a best actress oscar in 25 years time, she will be playing a former slave who is homeless, undergoing physical and sexual abuse. In the movie a white selfless blonde woman who is racist will take her in, help her and in the process the white woman will cease being racist. The black woman will be biracial – a result of her black mother being sexually abused by her white owner in the slave plantation.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    KAZ-2.5
    Topics:

I am a bit confused though. Aside from Halle-Only, 2001-2006 had 3 Black Actor winners in 6 years (50%), then nothing for 14 years. So what happened there. Is the increasing international presence the awards obsessed keeps touting actually partially responsible for this backslide? I mean, look at Bafta (Ejiofor aside, but they purposefully ignored the existence of actor sweeping Dallas Buyers altogether).

With regards to Best actor I want to know what happened too. I honestly have no idea.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Miles
    Topics:

Oscar voters are becoming less aware of external factors that go beyond the film/performance. How many times did we say voters wouldn’t give Frances McDormand a third Oscar or wouldn’t pass up the opportunity to honor Chadwick Boseman’s legacy? We got a taste of this when Rylance beat Stallone and Colman beat Close but now it’s more clear.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Elazul
    Topics:

Oscar voters are becoming less aware of external factors that go beyond the film/performance. How many times did we say voters wouldn’t give Frances McDormand a third Oscar or wouldn’t pass up the opportunity to honor Chadwick Boseman’s legacy? We got a taste of this when Rylance beat Stallone and Colman beat Close but now it’s more clear.

It’s clear that “narrative” is overrated. The Iron Lady & Still Alice are exceptions by now…

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Oscirus Jones
    Topics:

I am a bit confused though. Aside from Halle-Only, 2001-2006 had 3 Black Actor winners in 6 years (50%), then nothing for 14 years. So what happened there. Is the increasing international presence the awards obsessed keeps touting actually partially responsible for this backslide? I mean, look at Bafta (Ejiofor aside, but they purposefully ignored the existence of actor sweeping Dallas Buyers altogether).

Not only was Denzel overdue for 2 but Crowe screwed up and pissed off the voters apparently, Jamie foxx’s ray charles role was legit red hot Im guessing cuz he was a legend and Idi Amin is a juicy evil role. Honestly other than denzel  it appears that if its not a biopic the likelyhood of blacks getting nominated in lead is really low ( not impossible but low)

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    KingOfMovies
    Topics:

Academy hates black lead talent. Always predict a white female to win. That is all.

This is NOT true. Here is a thing, the more diverse the Academy will get, the more less Black actors will win. In America, Diversity means only Black, largely. The international voting comprises of people from all over the world and they don’t identify with American problems. Majority of those voter’s countries have many other social problems and most of those problems is not race related. America’s obsession with race (right so cuz of horrific slave history) is NOT their problem/concern. So they might not think like American voters who sometimes forcefully make a Black actor win jus to evade racism tag. They will only vote if they really like that performance as it happened with Daniel Kalluya.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    KingOfMovies
    Topics:

Minorities can only win in the supporting acting categories. The lead acting categories are for white people only.

True, Gaga stole a the Best Actress nomination from Kiki Layne that year. Shouldn’t have been nominated for her singing and playing herself.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    KingOfMovies
    Topics:

YEP. I’m an Asian and trust me the problem with Americans is that they think is America is the whole world. The more diverse the Academy will get, the less Black actors will win. They will win only if they give a strong performance like Daniel Kalluya in a widely watched entertaining film. It’s because International people don’t have to worry about racism tag, they don’t identify with American problem, they have their own social problems and it’s not race for all those people. So I don’t understand why people cannot understand this. International film Roma lost as it was boring but International film Parasite won coz it was entertaining and made by an Asian and so was Nomadland.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Ghost
    Topics:

YEP. I’m an Asian and trust me the problem with Americans is that they think is America is the whole world. The more diverse the Academy will get, the less Black actors will win. They will win only if they give a strong performance like Daniel Kalluya in a widely watched entertaining film. It’s because International people don’t have to worry about racism tag, they don’t identify with American problem, they have their own social problems and it’s not race for all those people. So I don’t understand why people cannot understand this. International film Roma lost as it was boring but International film Parasite won coz it was entertaining and made by an Asian and so was Nomadland.

Your points are interesting, especially when you mentioned Daniel Kaluuya because his movie was highlighting racial injustice. It helps that Daniel is not American but appeals to other branches outside of the American ones. Which is a problem in itself because it seems that these Black British actors are getting these African American roles or what would normally go African Americans and getting a ton of accolades for it.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    KingOfMovies
    Topics:

A black woman will win a best actress oscar in 25 years time, she will be playing a former slave who is homeless, undergoing physical and sexual abuse. In the movie a white selfless blonde woman who is racist will take her in, help her and in the process the white woman will cease being racist. The black woman will be biracial – a result of her black mother being sexually abused by her white owner in the slave plantation.

OR maybe, if Hollywood starts casting Black actors in films like Black Swan, Monster, La Vien Rose, Walk The Line etc I mean anything but not a slave or black experience only film related to race. I want Black actresses to win for  comedy like Annie Hall, a drama like Black Swan, a fantasy like Mary Poppins.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    KingOfMovies
    Topics:

Your points are interesting, especially when you mentioned Daniel Kaluuya because his movie was highlighting racial injustice. It helps that Daniel is not American but appeals to other branches outside of the American ones. Which is a problem in itself because it seems that these Black British actors are getting these African American roles or what would normally go African Americans and getting a ton of accolades for it.

Daniel Kaluuya gave the best performance in that category. Judas and the Black Messiah was loved by International voters. Plus British block pushed him more close to the victory. Coming to Asian, Middle eastern, European voters, they did not like the other Black films as they were strictly adhering to American problems which is same old same old. JATBM was actually loved bu international voters, who will not vote for Black actors just because they are Asian, Brown, Middles eastern as they don’t see everything from America’s perspective or what Black Twitter is saying or want.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Woody
    Topics:

OR maybe, if Hollywood starts casting Black actors in films like Black Swan, Monster, La Vien Rose, Walk The Line etc I mean anything but not a slave or black experience only film related to race. I want Black actresses to win for comedy like Annie Hall, a drama like Black Swan, a fantasy like Mary Poppins.

I said pretty much this exact thing in another thread, Black actors should be awarded for these type of roles not just the stereotypical roles they are usually nominated for

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    String Cheese Theory
    Topics:

And so what do we learn from this? That Black performances by Black actors in Black roles targeted at Black audiences with a ‘for us, by us’ approach, simply haven’t resonated as much with white audiences, who feel that Black performances have maybe been just a bit too intense, shouty, preachy, a bit much, a bit extra, a bit “Angela Bassett presenting In Memorium in an overly intense way that feels uncomfortable” and that that is just a cultural disconnect and if white people haven’t connected with these mega-intense presentations, that it was just a bit outside our frame of reference, and Ma Rainey wasn’t as engaging as Fern, who was subtle. I’m not saying Black actors need to act white in order to win, but when do we see naturalistic Black performances instead of ones that white audiences are actually not the target for. I mean, we’re constantly told we whites don’t and can’t get Black culture. So when it plays out like this in voting awards, how can Black performances appeal to non-Black audiences? Acting is about connection, not simply a technique. There’s a bigger discussion about cross-culture I’m definitely not capable of answering. And culture is bias, because we connect with what we connect with. For me, I don’t like shouty or aggressive performances. Is this how Black people speak to one another, and is therefore naturalistic to them, or is this overacting, or is this just too many deeply depressing roles based on suffering and reaction to that? Either way, it’s different to how white people act (IRL and on screen) and will therefore be reacted to differently by the audience.

No one ever said Lakeith Stanfield ‘acts white’, but if anyone delivers best lead actor who is Black, it will be him. Because he’s got this different talent.

Finally, I find it refreshing and diverse that Frances McDormand became the third oldest lead actress winner ever.

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 79 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.