Home Forums Movies things we learned from Oscars 2021

things we learned from Oscars 2021

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 79 total)
Created
3 months ago
Last Reply
3 months ago
replies
views
users
KingOfMovies
Chitanda170
wolfali
  • Profile picture
    Chitanda170
    Topics:

This is NOT true. Here is a thing, the more diverse the Academy will get, the more less Black actors will win. In America, Diversity means only Black, largely. The international voting comprises of people from all over the world and they don’t identify with American problems. Majority of those voter’s countries have many other social problems and most of those problems is not race related. America’s obsession with race (right so cuz of horrific slave history) is NOT their problem/concern. So they might not think like American voters who sometimes forcefully make a Black actor win jus to evade racism tag. They will only vote if they really like that performance as it happened with Daniel Kalluya.

I think that’s the reason Joker got 11 nominations last year

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    AayaanUpadhyaya
    Topics:

International voters are kingmakers. Ignore them at your own peril.

The Academy is becoming an international voting body, which means American narratives (be it rewarding an overdue American legend, a posthumous win for an African-American icon, or crowning the second black best actress winner) will lose to a superior performance, especially if that performance is in a more popular film among international voters (The Favourite > The Wife, The Father > Ma Rainey, Nomadland > Ma Rainey, Billie Holiday)

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    crabbie
    Topics:

I also just realized the HFPA president was fired earlier this month and I think more than 10 HFPA members are leaving the organization. These were the same group of people that accurately predicted the acting winners for decades now they’re leaving. I imagine this will have a significant impact on the accuracy of the Globes as a precursor as these new people that the HFPA claims will be 13 new Black members may have different taste than the members who left. So we should be expecting different winners at the Globes much more frequently.

Anyways I don’t really care about the Globes anymore after they snubbed Youn because they knew what they were doing. Hope they go down soon.

Michelle Williams Oscar campaign manager.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Oscirus Jones
    Topics:

I said pretty much this exact thing in another thread, Black actors should be awarded for these type of roles not just the stereotypical roles they are usually nominated for

Thats what I’ll agree to as well. Want to resolve the race issue? Start casting more pocs ( not just black people) in roles typically meant for a certain demographic. Until these issues are addressed we’re going to be addressing this same bullshit a decade from now with the occasional token win being given out to the dissatisfaction of everybody involved/ watching.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Victor Cruz
    Topics:

Oscars are racists

Frances McDormand (an actress with limited range) has more Oscars than Women of color combine.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    crabbie
    Topics:

I think the next time an actor who’s a POC wins a lead category will be when they’re in a Best Picture nominee. This season showed how much being in a Best Picture nominee increases your chances immensely. I honestly think Denzel can win his 3rd for Macbeth next year and he will have insane goodwill from playing opposite of 4 time Oscar winner Frances McDormand. Next season he would have to be fighting against overdue Bradley Cooper and Adam Driver though so we will see.

Michelle Williams Oscar campaign manager.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Oscirus Jones
    Topics:

Macbeth is more of an acting showcase for lady macbeth then macbeth. If Denzel gets nominated, he’ll likely be under the happy to be nominated category

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    ESS
    Topics:

Things I learned:

1) The award for Best Film MUST be the last of the ceremony.

2) Showing clips is more entertaining than pale homages.

3) Cast this girl below as a dance teacher in a leading role and Toni Collette as a baity supporting role and award THEM BOTH in the same year

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Agee
    Topics:

Honey, we learned that black people will NOT win in Best Actor and Best Actress.  Though, we already knew that.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    ˈdī(ə)mənd ˈtir
    Topics:

Honey, we learned that black people will NOT win in Best Actor and Best Actress. Though, we already knew that.

I second this.

We also learned that putting Actor & Actress after Picture is a BIG mistake.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    ENGLAND
    Topics:

I’ve ultimately learned that the Academy does not give a f*** about outside opinions.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Topics:
    This post was found to be inappropriate by the moderators and has been removed.
    Profile picture
    jez89
    Topics:

OR maybe, if Hollywood starts casting Black actors in films like Black Swan, Monster, La Vien Rose, Walk The Line etc I mean anything but not a slave or black experience only film related to race. I want Black actresses to win for comedy like Annie Hall, a drama like Black Swan, a fantasy like Mary Poppins.

Three of the films you’ve cited as examples are about real people who were white. Are you suggesting we make Johnny Cash and Aileen Wournos black?!

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Marcus.H
    Topics:

One important lesson: QUALITY MATTERS.

See how Hopkins survived the Sony Picture Classic campaign and how Mcdormand won with the best performance among 5 even if she’s won 2.

One another lesson: People are tired of award-bait films.

Trial of Chicago 7 is the most popular BP nominee for GP and is far from a bad film, but look how it ended up in all industry awards.

Coen-Lynch-Fellini

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Marcus.H
    Topics:

This is NOT true. Here is a thing, the more diverse the Academy will get, the more less Black actors will win. In America, Diversity means only Black, largely. The international voting comprises of people from all over the world and they don’t identify with American problems. Majority of those voter’s countries have many other social problems and most of those problems is not race related. America’s obsession with race (right so cuz of horrific slave history) is NOT their problem/concern. So they might not think like American voters who sometimes forcefully make a Black actor win jus to evade racism tag. They will only vote if they really like that performance as it happened with Daniel Kalluya.

That’s true. As international audience, we really don’t care about the black/white issues or the overdue narrative. We just voted for what we love or think is the best in that category. The different results between SAG and BAFTAs/Oscars told it all.

Accusing the industry for not casting more black actors for leading roles in major films is more effective than accusing any award for not going to a black winner.

Coen-Lynch-Fellini

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 79 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.