Home Forums Movies things we learned from Oscars 2021

things we learned from Oscars 2021

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 79 total)
Created
2 months ago
Last Reply
2 months ago
replies
views
users
KingOfMovies
Chitanda170
wolfali
  • Profile picture
    Chitanda170
    Topics:

Anthony Hopkins win is a proof that narratives don´t exist inside The Academy, is like an actor said in a documentary about the Oscars a few years ago, they just vote for what they like, is like electing a President.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Diamond Tier
    Topics:

Anthony Hopkins win is a proof that narratives don´t exist inside The Academy, is like an actor said in a documentary about the Oscars a few years ago, they just vote for what they like, is like electing a President.

Academy voting being compared to electing a President is ironic considering the lack of representation for both.

We also learned that the Oscars really need to get over their Netflix bias.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Lil Tony
    Topics:

Narrative won’t work for you if you are Glenn Close or black

A Lady Gaga DEVOTEE

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    loudtoilet
    Topics:

Narrative doesn’t exist outside of Oscar predicting circles casue it’s mostly used to wishful-think favorits as winners. If one of them actually wins, it’s usually due to factors such as AMPAS really liking the performance rather than narrative that has nothing to do with it.

We also learend that very few viewers cared for any of the narratives cause barely anyone tuned in to see whether Oscars would tribute Boseman, award first Asian woman director, second black Actress,  etc. They didn’t care for any of that or these people (yes they didn’t care whether Boseman would win sorry to be blunt) which is why the ratings were an absolute disaster.

EDIT:

Accusing the industry for not casting more black actors for leading roles in major films is more effective than accusing any award for not going to a black winner.

Casting alone isn’t enough, it needs to be a good role. I’ll give you an example from Falcon&The Winter Soldier. Anthiny Mackie is the titular Falcon, basically black Steve Rogers with even less interesting. Nobody talks about Emmy nomination for him. Poeple talk about Daniel Bruhl and Wyatt Russell for they got juicy roles on the show. OTOH, Elizabeth Olsen is considered a lock nominee for Wandavision cause her role is juicy af. Same happened with Django Uncahined. Foxx was the lead but Waltz had the award-worthy role.

AMPAS don’t make movies. They only award/nominate what’s already made.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Never. Wear. Gold. To awards shows.

FYC Emmys: "The Crown" in all categories, "I May Destroy You" in all categories, "It's a Sin" in all categories, "Small Axe" in all categories, Billie Piper ("I Hate Suzie"), Yvonne Strahovski ("Stateless") and Ruth Wilson ("His Dark Materials")

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    vinny
    Topics:

I think someone else wore gold too back in the 60s and lost too I forgot who though but it was the oscars

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    vinny
    Topics:

Well I learned: go with my second choice first cuz that works. Lol

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Piper Halliwell
    Topics:

Fan-made narratives don’t matter. You need a strong film & performance to win. Even if you are Viola Davis.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    ClairesCrown
    Topics:

Phoebe wore gold that night so she broke the curse

FYC EMMYS: THE CROWN IN ALL CATEGORIES (ESP. OLIVIA COLMAN - D. ACTRESS & HBC - D. SUPP. ACTRESS) & IT’S A SIN IN ALL CATEGORIES (ESP. LYDIA WEST - LIM. ACTRESS & KEELEY HAWES - LIM. SUPP. ACTRESS) & I MAY DESTROY YOU IN ALL CATEGORIES

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    grett1
    Topics:

Unless you are Meryl Streep hahaha

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Barbra please
    Topics:

Never give someone a sympathy award, career award, etc.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    loudtoilet
    Topics:

Nobody knows what AMPAS thinks but what twitter and stans wishful-think is not the way to go by.

Also, AFTRA is USELESS.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Anush
    Topics:

Things I learned are

1. Academy does not watch the shorts and documentaries at all. I feel they just read the snyopsis and see which has stronger message or see who has produced it and vote for it which is terrible if true. I guess they should bring back some kind of quiz to question the members who are voting without watching all five nominees.

2. Narratives won’t work for actors. To win you need strong passion for your films. Or just should hope that your contendors are so weak without much passion for their movies that you end up sweeping.

3. They need to bring back the Host. Especially the one who is not political.

4. Orchestra is required for the ceremony. This year’s music was way too wierd while some winners were announced. Didn’t sit well. I also understand they couldn’t have orchestra this year for obvious reasons.

5. Don’t make stars present to those categories whose films are nominated in . It works sometimes but dosent work for most of the time.

6.For God’s sake we need clips and montages.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Chitanda170
    Topics:

Nobody knows what AMPAS thinks but what twitter and stans wishful-think is not the way to go by. Also, AFTRA is USELESS.

Film Twitter is so toxic

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    braydenfitzsimmons
    Topics:

3. They need to bring back the Host.

Bring back Hugh Jackman, especially in a year that won’t be plagued like his last gig.

I’m still surprised ABC have never tried to tap Tracee Ellis-Ross to host. She’s got excellent experience (AMAs, BETs), is famous enough on her own right and is already employed by them.

Emmys FYC | Alan Tudyk in “Resident Alien” | Billie Piper in “I Hate Suzie” | Ego Nwodim in “Saturday Night Live” | Kaley Cuoco in “Harley Quinn” | “Dickinson” | “P-Valley” | “Pose” | “Superstore”

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 79 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.