Home Forums Movies TIFF 2019

TIFF 2019

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 196 through 210 (of 224 total)
Created
2 months ago
Last Reply
2 months ago
( +2 hidden )
replies
views
users
PJ Edwards
Dennis El Mar
Nikhil Nandu
  • TVFan365
    Participant
    Topics:

How many of you are actually at TIFF? I don’t understand the backlash at Jojo Rabbit from people on this forum.

Right? They’re hating on a movie they haven’t even seen. I remember everyone on these forums being all over it but once the critic scores came out they changed their tone. People act like critic reviews are an objective way of telling if a film is good or not.

Lupita Nyong'o will win the Best Actress Oscar for "Us."

ReplyCopy URL
    cracker of whips, bringer of jocks
    Participant
    Topics:

Right? They’re hating on a movie they haven’t even seen. I remember everyone on these forums being all over it but once the critic scores came out they changed their tone. People act like critic reviews are an objective way of telling if a film is good or not.

How do you know who has or hasn’t seen it? I was at TIFF, I saw Jojo Rabbit, and in no way, shape or form was it the best film there.

ReplyCopy URL
    JackO
    Participant
    Topics:

I’m kinda glad that Jojo won. I was predicting it across the board before the reviews then took it out and had been struggling to fill my lineups since then. I even had to buy into the forum hype on waves to fill in spots. Glad that’s over.

ReplyCopy URL
    Nikhil
    Participant
    Topics:

So we can assume all these three are locks now?

Historically, 2 out of 3 make it. Jojo, despite being critically divisive, is very likely to make it in.

My personal Top 10 of 2019 so far:
    1) Parasite 2) The Farewell 3) Once Upon a Time in Hollywood 4) Joker 5) Jojo Rabbit 6) The Peanut Butter Falcon 7) Marriage Story 8) Luce 9) Yesterday 10) Hotel Mumbai

ReplyCopy URL
    boss
    Participant
    Topics:

What does this mean for Parasite? It should be nominated in Picture, Writing and Directing, is it possible?

ReplyCopy URL
    gorman
    Participant
    Topics:

What does this mean for Parasite? It should be nominated in Picture, Writing and Directing, is it possible?

All are still very possible, this helps it a fair bit but I don’t think it makes it a lock for anything. I think we’ll just have to see how Parasite plays out, it’s hard to predict how it will do yet, especially given the Academy’s history with Korean cinema, but it seems like a very popular movie with critics and audiences alike so I have it in my predictions now for all 3 categories.

ReplyCopy URL
    Honey
    Participant
    Topics:

All hail this politically incorrect queen!

Divisive queen staying on brand with “divisive” movie. Internet tried and LOST.

ReplyCopy URL
    TVFan365
    Participant
    Topics:

How do you know who has or hasn’t seen it? I was at TIFF, I saw Jojo Rabbit, and in no way, shape or form was it the best film there.

I wasn’t talking about you specifically but I’m sure there are people who haven’t seen it that have already formed an opinion on it before seeing it, because of critic reviews. I even recall seeing a post that said “I’m unstaning” because of the reviews.

Lupita Nyong'o will win the Best Actress Oscar for "Us."

ReplyCopy URL
    Qoslca
    Participant
    Topics:

To add my two-cents worth:

Seriously, why the hate for a movie you’ve never even seen.

Imagine if you made a film and people start railing on it before they’ve even watched it, for no reason other than – well, I don’t know. Just for the sake of it, I guess?

Maybe I’m in the minority, but I’m of the opinion that you actually have to watch a film before you critique it….

My username stands for “Quiet On Set! Lights, Camera, Action.”

ReplyCopy URL
    BenitoDelicias
    Participant
    Topics:

Agreed. I just came here to see people who haven’t seen the movie react to the TIFF news. It’s funny to see people get mad over a film they just decided was cool to hate for no reason.

ReplyCopy URL
    Dennis El Mar
    Participant
    Topics:

I’m just laughing at the number of people who said they “always knew” Jojo was flopping after the MC scores came out.

FYC: Mary Kay Place in Diane

ReplyCopy URL
    John Berchmans
    Participant
    Topics:

One things for sure: Waves is dead. TIFF was it’s only hope.

For Your Consideration.

Best Picture: Parasite, Jojo Rabbit, Joker
    Best Director: Bong-Joon Ho, Taika Waititi, Todd Phillips
    Best Actor: Joaquin Phoenix, Robert Pattinson, Roman Griffin Davis
    Best Actress: Lupita Nyong'o
    Best Supporting Actor: Willem Dafoe, Song Kang-Ho, Sam Rockwell
    Best Supporting Actress: Thomasin McKensie, Cho Yeo-Jeong
    Best Adapted Screenplay: Jojo Rabbit, Joker
    Best Original Screenplay: Parasite

ReplyCopy URL
    Rishabh Chaturvedi
    Participant
    Topics:

1. Taika Waititi now looks like he could crack the Best Director race with this, as most of the past recent winners have had Directing Oscar nominations (even in the case of Three Billboards and Green Book, their directors did make it to the Critics Choice, Globes and DGA lineups)

2. All of the past recent winners have won at least one above-the-line (Picture/Director/Acting/Screenplay) Oscar. In that case, for now only an Adapted Screenplay win makes some sense to me, but then the thought of this defeating The Irishman feels weird, at least for now. But we’ll see how it goes. Also, maybe even Supporting Actress if Thomasin McKenzie is campaigned there?

3. A Film Editing nomination could also be possible, as all recent winners (except Room) have got in there as well.

We shall see how the momentum builds for this film, and how the race shapes as a whole. All eyes on NYFF now for The Irishman (but of course, after we’re done venting about the Emmys!)

ReplyCopy URL
    Dennis El Mar
    Participant
    Topics:

One things for sure: Waves is dead. TIFF was it’s only hope.

I’m still predicting it for Screenplay and Brown may have enough industry goodwill to get in, however its BP chances are pretty much dead. Its ever-descending MC score was foreboding of things to come.

FYC: Mary Kay Place in Diane

ReplyCopy URL
    EsOS
    Participant
    Topics:

And Marriage Story is no ROMA. Not even close. Not the acclaim, not the level of buzz and hype, not the awards prospects. So just stop.

Lmao.

Try to put aside your obvious Marriage Story bias and look how dumb this statement is.

FYC: Octavia Spencer (Luce) - Best Supporting Actress

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 196 through 210 (of 224 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.