Home Forums Movies TIFF 2019

TIFF 2019

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 12 posts - 211 through 222 (of 222 total)
Created
3 months ago
Last Reply
3 months ago
( +2 hidden )
replies
views
users
PJ Edwards
Dennis El Mar
Nikhil Nandu
  • Cordelia
    Participant
    Topics:

Well this race just got a lot more interesting. Jojo Rabbit getting the audience award is exactly what it needed to get back in the Oscars race, Marriage Story is not just a critic’s choice but also an audience crowdpleaser, and Parasite is still doing well.

This does come at the expense of Waves, but if Waves is the film we have to sacrifice for A24 to push The Lighthouse, so be it.

For Your Consideration:

Best Picture: Weathering With You, Parasite, The Lighthouse
    Best Supporting Actor: Willem Dafoe - The Lighthouse
    Best Animated Feature: Weathering With You, Promare
    Best International Film: Weathering With You, Parasite

ReplyCopy URL
    cracker of whips, bringer of jocks
    Participant
    Topics:

Well this race just got a lot more interesting. Jojo Rabbit getting the audience award is exactly what it needed to get back in the Oscars race, Marriage Story is not just a critic’s choice but also an audience crowdpleaser, and Parasite is still doing well. This does come at the expense of Waves, but if Waves is the film we have to sacrifice for A24 to push The Lighthouse, so be it.

Do you really think The Lighthouse still has a chance? It’s my favourite film of the year, along with Parasite, but I’m doubtful of it’s momentum anymore.

ReplyCopy URL
    Cordelia
    Participant
    Topics:

Do you really think The Lighthouse still has a chance? It’s my favourite film of the year, along with Parasite, but I’m doubtful of it’s momentum anymore.

It probably doesn’t have a chance, but ffs I’m pushing Weathering With You as a Best Picture idea. Just because I know it’s extremely unlikely doesn’t mean I give up. I only give up once actual long term precursors show up.

I do think that it can maybe get a performance nod or two, especially because Supporting Actor seems weak AF this year.

For Your Consideration:

ReplyCopy URL
    Edgar Pereira
    Participant
    Topics:

All hail this politically incorrect queen!

It seems 2019 is the scarlett year no matter how it ends at the Oscars: ENDGAME is the highest-grossing movie ever, MARRIAGE STORY is one of the most acclaimed movies of the year (plus, Best Actress buzz for her) and JOJO RABBIT wins the People’s Choice of TIFF and (re)enters Oscar race. Well done!

Edgar Pereira
    Cinema and Popcorn
    https://cinemaandpopcorn.blogspot.com/

ReplyCopy URL
    Pulp
    Participant
    Topics:

Well Jojo winning People’s choice is interesting, but I’m still not ready to put it my best picture predictions.

#FreeTheBannedFour

ReplyCopy URL
    Cordelia
    Participant
    Topics:

Well Jojo winning People’s choice is interesting, but I’m still not ready to put it my best picture predictions.

So you think a third Best Picture nomination slot for Netflix in The Two Popes, and Bombshell are both more likely to get in Best Picture?

9/10 of past Audience Award Winners got a Best Picture nomination, this is a questionable bet.

For Your Consideration:

ReplyCopy URL
    kellis
    Spectator
    Topics:

Since Instinct premiered here and got raves for Carice van Houten, I’m going to post here a warning of me shoving her down everyone’s throats for our film awards, especially after her Emmy loss tonight.

“No user starts this shady” - someone culturally relevant.

Also got banned because...reasons? So, I guess ciao.

ReplyCopy URL
    John Berchmans
    Participant
    Topics:

I feel like the Picture winner will be one of the 3 big TIFF winners, but I’m not sure which one yet.

Jojo rabbit should win Adapted Screenplay, but I’m not sure if it could win anything else above the line. Maybe it goes the way of Argo and wins Picture, Screenplay and Editing, but FvF seems to have editing locked down rn. Plus Jojo needs a better metascore: it’s been decades since something won with less than 60.

Marriage story is Netflix, so I think it will be snubbed just like Roma. It will probably win Original Screenplay, Supporting Actress, and one of the lead acting categories though (I’m guessing Johansson: Renee reeks of Glenn Close from last year).

Parasite can easily win Director, an award that’s been very biased towards POC recently, and International Film, but I don’t think it will win both International Film and Picture: no film has ever done that before. The only way I see it winning Picture is it it’s somehow not nominated for International Film.

BP: Parasite, Jojo Rabbit, Joker, Ford v Ferrari, Marriage Story,
    BD: Bong-Joon Ho, Taika Waititi, Todd Phillips, Noah Baumbach
    Actor: Joaquin Phoenix, Robert Pattinson, Adam Driver, Roman Griffin Davis, Christian Bale
    Actress: Lupita Nyong'o, Scarlett Johansson
    S. Actor: Willem Dafoe, Song Kang-Ho, Sam Rockwell, Al Pacino, Alan Alda
    S. Actress: Laura Dern, Thomasin McKensie, Cho Yeo-Jeong
    AS: Jojo Rabbit, Joker, The Irishman

ReplyCopy URL
    jonny
    Participant
    Topics:

Delighted for Jojo Rabbit, don’t understand the hate for it,stop being snobs.

ReplyCopy URL
    TheDreamingHead
    Participant
    Topics:

Parasite can easily win Director, an award that’s been very biased towards POC recently, and International Film, but I don’t think it will win both International Film and Picture: no film has ever done that before. The only way I see it winning Picture is it it’s somehow not nominated for International Film.

As unrealistic as this may sound, I wholehearted agree with this! Bong joon hoo deserves a best director win because you can tell it’s his effort to write such a wonderful unique story full of hidden meanings, guide every actor to do their best and they did, and try to make his cinetography look the most fabulous. He’s the heart and soul of the movie and will deserve every inch of directing accolades! And please don’t reward the same old boring Quentin (who excels more in writing) and Scorsese’s another tiresome effort. It’s enough!

I feel like if anyone is to continue the streak of awarding foreign directors, it’s this guy! Award season, please make it happen!!!!

ReplyCopy URL
    RhodeToLove
    Participant
    Topics:

Finished the festival, here are some thoughts:

Marriage Story

This was easily my favourite. ScarJo and Adam Driver feel like definite locks. Laura Dern was also hilarious as comedic relief. I think it’s got a very good shot at BP and director as well as screenplay.

Joker

This was great! I think Joaquin Phoenix has definitely locked in that Oscar. He’s in every single scene so that helps, many where he’s just alone and his physicality is amazing. I think it’s a BP nom for sure. Can’t say any other actors truly stood out.

Ford v Ferrari

This was a little generic but still really enjoyable. Damon was fine but Bale really stole the show. Sound was really good!

Harriet

This was pretty bad… Eviro was solid but the script was way too weak that there isn’t a chance of a win for her. I think a nomination is probable though.

A Beautiful Day in the Neighbourhood

This one was really sweet and a good crowd pleaser. Matthew Rhys was good but Tom Hanks was incredible and stole every scene he was in. I think Tom’s a good pick for supporting. Maybe Picture as well. Also I think the director did a really great job, there’s real personality in this movie. I’m not sure if she’ll get a nom but I just wanted to point her out.

Just Mercy

This was bland. Less like Beale Street and more like Green Book (some scenes were exactly the same!). The direction and script were really subpar. MBJ was good enough, Jamie Foxx was great. Rob Morgan was phenomenal imo, and Brie Larson was seriously wasted (she basically stops talking halfway through the film)

The Aeronauts

Kinda entertaining? The balloon parts were seriously fun. It’s action-adventure and Felicity Jones was a lot of fun, especially if you’re afraid of heights. Flashbacks throughout kinda ruined it though. Still the cinematography and sound were very solid, I think this could get a number of below the line noms.

Honey Boy

This one isn’t really an awards contender but I really loved it and I think Shia was incredible as his own father and Noah Jupe was great. Lucas Hedges’ plot was really weak though.

Waves

I really loved this movie. I’m not sure it’ll break out anywhere but it’s beautifully shot and the music was great.

Foreign films:

Parasite

Many of you have already seen it so I’ll just echo that it’s amazing and one of my favourite movies ever. Picture, Director, Screenplay and International seem highly likely.

Portrait of a Lady on Fire

Absolutely incredible. I really hope France picks this one. It’ll probably lose to Parasite but I think it’s definitely getting into International

The Invisible Life of Eurídice Gusmão

This was really good! Both actresses were super strong and the story is really sad. I could see it getting into the race.

Pain and Glory

I didn’t really love this movie, I felt like it was going nowhere and felt a bit repetitive. Antonio Banderas was really strong though.

Martin Eden

This would be a strong choice for Italy. The lead was really good and it was so gorgeously shot. The story falls apart a bit in the second half.

Weathering with You

Definitely not as good as Your Name. It was entertaining enough though but the second half takes so many story beats from Your Name that it’s hard not to compare, and it doesn’t reach the same highs.

ReplyCopy URL
    Nikhil
    Participant
    Topics:

Finished the festival, here are some thoughts:

Marriage Story

This was easily my favourite. ScarJo and Adam Driver feel like definite locks. Laura Dern was also hilarious as comedic relief. I think it’s got a very good shot at BP and director as well as screenplay.

Do you think Marriage Story is going to be well-liked by the large majority of audiences as well? Is it narratively satisfying (conventionally) or is it decidedly more art house? I think of movies like Roma or Phantom Thread or American Hustle for instance as movies that are respected more than they are loved, and I just wanted to know which camp Mareiage Story falls into. If it’s both, which way does it lean? I guess I have the same question for Parasite!

My personal Top 5 of 2019 so far:
    1) Parasite 2) The Farewell 3) Once Upon a Time in Hollywood 4) The Irishman 5) Knives Out

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 12 posts - 211 through 222 (of 222 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.