Home Forums Movies TIFF 2019

TIFF 2019

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 228 total)
Created
2 weeks ago
Last Reply
1 day ago
( +2 hidden )
replies
views
users
PJ Edwards
Dennis El Mar
Nikhil
  • John Berchmans
    Participant
    Topics:

A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood and Ford v Ferrari feel like the crowd favorites of this years Oscar race, so I’m predicting they take the People’s Choice Award and the runner-up, respectively (ABDITN is actually a much bigger threat for Picture than people think). Jojo Rabbit will take the second runner-up spot, since it seems like a film that will be well liked by both critics and audiences. Joker is too controversial to take any of those 3 spots, and Marriage Story/Waves are the critics favorites, but not the audiences so far.

ReplyCopy URL
    Mr. Tintin
    Participant
    Topics:

1. Waves

2. Marriage Story

3. Jojo Rabbit

Emmys 2019: I stan Amy Adams, Mahershala Ali, and Jason Bateman.

Oscars 2020: I stan Robert Downey, Jr., Alan Silvestri, Willem Dafoe, and Dean Deblois.

Emmys 2020: I stan David Harbour

ReplyCopy URL
    Nik Ko
    Participant
    Topics:
    1. Parasite
    2. Joker
    3. Jojo Rabbit
    ReplyCopy URL
    Kellyemm
    Participant
    Topics:

Early reviews on Copperfield on Twitter seem excellent for the ensemble and Patel but in particular for Hugh Laurie. Hasn’t necessarily had monumental pre press but has a GREAT cast so excited to hear more.

ReplyCopy URL
    Kellyemm
    Participant
    Topics:

Early reviews on Copperfield on Twitter seem excellent for the ensemble and Patel but in particular for Hugh Laurie. Hasn’t necessarily had monumental pre press but has a GREAT cast so excited to hear more.

Second takes: would have been better as a limited series. Laurie definitely MVP.

ReplyCopy URL
    Qoslca
    Participant
    Topics:

Who’s winning the audience award? I feel good about Waves. I also think Ford v. Ferrari can crack top 3.

Here’s my Top 3:

1. Ford v. Ferrari
    2. A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood
    3. Marriage Story
    ————
    4. Jojo Rabbit
    5. A Hidden Life

ReplyCopy URL
    Cordelia
    Participant
    Topics:

1. Marriage Story
    2. Jojo Rabbit
    3. Parasite
    4. Weathering With You, the best movie of 2019
    5. A Beautiful Day in the Neighbourhood

For Your Consideration:

Best Picture: Weathering With You, Parasite
    Best Animated Feature: Weathering With You
    Best International Film: Weathering With You, Parasite
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Do my forum games!

https://www.goldderby.com/forum/games-lets-play-games/72nd-oscars-runner-up-5-elimination-game-nominated-but-not-for-best-picture/

https://www.goldderby.com/forum/games-lets-play-games/81st-oscars-runner-up-5-elimination-game/

ReplyCopy URL
    Nikhil
    Participant
    Topics:

A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood and Ford v Ferrari feel like the crowd favorites of this years Oscar race, so I’m predicting they take the People’s Choice Award and the runner-up, respectively (ABDITN is actually a much bigger threat for Picture than people think). Jojo Rabbit will take the second runner-up spot, since it seems like a film that will be well liked by both critics and audiences. Joker is too controversial to take any of those 3 spots, and Marriage Story/Waves are the critics favorites, but not the audiences so far.

I’ll go bottom up. I think you’re right about Marriage Story and Waves being the critics favorites, but the critics favorites tend to make it into the top 3, so I think it’s wise to predict one. I think Waves has stolen a lot of the conversation lately so my hunch is that they go for it.

I agree Joker is too controversial, but would love to see it happen.

Yea I think Jojo Rabbit is going to be huge and is right up their alley. This might be my most anticipated of the year.

ABDITN is rubbing me the wrong way, but who knows? Is there a reason you think it’s gonna be big?

ReplyCopy URL
    DrewN92
    Participant
    Topics:

My money is on ABDITN because the People’s Choice Award seems to go more towards the crowd pleasing/”sentimental” movie and even though we just had the documentary last year on Mr. Rogers, I feel like the Joker and Jojo Rabbit could be too divisive/controversial to actually win the award. Ford v Ferrari could really give ABDITN a run for its money because it seems to be a major crowd pleaser, but due to the sentimentality factor of ABDITN I think it has a bit of a better chance. And because If Beale Street Could Talk and Roma were the runners up last year, I could see something like Waves or Marriage Story sneaking into the first or second runner up spots as well.

ReplyCopy URL
    Caelin Cripps
    Participant
    Topics:

hollywoodreporter.com/race/toronto-two-popes-sets-oscar-categories-1236888

Maybe we should be looking out for The Two Popes for the People’s Choice Award as well or at least as a runner up. Pryce and Hopkins are both starting to look like contenders in Lead and Supporting.

ReplyCopy URL
    JackO
    Participant
    Topics:

First reacts for Just Mercy look good! Foxx praised!

Wilson Morales – Wow! #JustMercy is a winner! Emotional and powerful, this story is just a fragment of many injustices of POC and needs to be seen. Michae B. Jordan was amazing but Jamie Foxx & Rob Morgan phenomenal. Not a dry eye in my row.

Ramin Setodeh – #JustMercy is one of the best films of 2019. #TIFF19

Michael B. Jordan has somehow never been nominated for an Oscar. #JustMercy, where he plays a modern-day Atticus Finch trying to save a man wrongfully comvincted of a murder, should change that. #TIFF19

Kathleen Newman-Bremang
    Just Mercy just broke me. Give it all the things. #TIFF19

• This reply was modified 1 week, 3 days ago by  PJ Edwards.
    ReplyCopy URL
    Marcus Snowden (The Artist Formerly Known as msnowden1)
    Participant
    Topics:

I’m shocked that first reactions for Just Mercy are that good.

ReplyCopy URL
    Dennis El Mar
    Participant
    Topics:

Hoo boy was I wrong, this is probably gonna win People’s Choice but I really wasn’t sure if it was going to land. I’m still not sure if Jordan will get into Best Actor but Jamie Foxx seems to be the standout.

ReplyCopy URL
    Marcus Snowden (The Artist Formerly Known as msnowden1)
    Participant
    Topics:

Hoo boy was I wrong, this is probably gonna win People’s Choice but I really wasn’t sure if it was going to land. I’m still not sure if Jordan will get into Best Actor but Jamie Foxx seems to be the standout.

Man, we were all wrong. At this rate, I’m wondering if Harriet can prove us all wrong as well.

ReplyCopy URL
    Dennis El Mar
    Participant
    Topics:

Man, we were all wrong. At this rate, I’m wondering if Harriet can prove us all wrong as well.

Yeah, I’m starting to think that even if Harriet isn’t a masterpiece and if it is a conventional biopic it might still be an audience favorite due to its subject and could break out without rave reception. I’m still waiting to see if Waves will be the big breakout though, I feel like it also fits in well with the trend of recent Peoples Choice winners so we’ll see.

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 228 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.