Home Forums Movies TIFF 2019

TIFF 2019

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 224 total)
Created
2 months ago
Last Reply
2 months ago
( +2 hidden )
replies
views
users
PJ Edwards
Dennis El Mar
Nikhil Nandu
  • Qoslca
    Participant
    Topics:

Wow, stellar reviews for Just Mercy out of Toronto. TheWrap calls it “a true crowd-pleaser in its TIFF premiere.”

Could this come from out of left field to win People’s Choice?

TheWrap’s glowing review: https://www.thewrap.com/just-mercy-film-review-michael-b-jordan-and-jamie-foxx-power-solid-racism-drama/

My username stands for “Quiet On Set! Lights, Camera, Action.”

ReplyCopy URL
    Dorsey
    Participant
    Topics:

It won’t be coming out of left field, Just Mercy was always happening.

brb stanning Adam Driver

ReplyCopy URL
    AMG
    Participant
    Topics:

A Personal History of David Copperfield First Reactions

William Caruana: The Personal History of David Copperfield is a delight. Combining the whimsy of Wes Anderson, the humor of Monty Python, and Dickins’ classic with Iannuci’s signature wit, it is an anarchonistic delight. Cast is superb, Patel and Laurie best Favorite of year so far. 10/10

Scott Menzel: The Personal History of David Copperfield is lighthearted and charming. Armando Iannucci moves away from political satire and takes on a beloved Dickens novel. The cast which includes Dev Patel, Tilda Swinton, Hugh Laurie, and Peter Capaldi are all-around terrific.

Luke Hearfield: The Personal History of David Copperfield was not what I expected but by golly-wow was it a delight. Armando Iannucci brings Charles Dickens novel to life with such haste and exuberance. It’s weird, wacky and witty. Every performance is a treat

Jacqueline Coley: Ok, I really dug THE PERSONAL HISTORY OF DAVID COPPERFIELD. But asking me if I liked a multi-cultural period drama starring (Long Haired) Dev Patel w/ a Blk female love interest is a bit like asking Winnie the Pooh if he likes honey or Quentin Tarantino if he likes feet

Audrey Fox: THE PERSONAL HISTORY OF DAVID COPPERFIELD teaches the world a couple lessons it really should already know:
    1. Dev Patel is a megastar running on pure charisma and people not casting him in their movies are straight up fools.
    2. Armando Iannucci can do ANYTHING.

AA Dowd: Impressed by how much plot Armando Iannucci nimbly packs into his adaptation of THE PERSONAL HISTORY OF DAVID COPPERFIELD. Can’t help but still feel like cliffs notes, but as with THE TRUTH, it’s a change of pace that bears the unmistakable mark of its maker

Allison Willmore: THE PERSONAL HISTORY OF DAVID COPPERFIELD: Is an intensely whimsical take on the Dickens novel/Dickens himself, but not an especially interesting one? Felt odd not to be won over by the cast alone (the cast!) but, a few charming bits aside, never really clicked for me

Katy Rich: The movie is lovely and funny and riotously well-cast—a bold adaptation that doesn’t seem to be trying to make Dickens “fresh,” but making it clear what’s always been great about it.

Raquel Stecher: The Personal History of David Copperfield: Diverse retelling of Dickens’ novel is clever, quirky, and hilarious

ReplyCopy URL
    AMG
    Participant
    Topics:

Hope Gap First Reactions

Ben Kelly: A film that doesn’t quite make the landing with driving an emotional impact. Beautiful scenery can’t help the clunky directing choices. Josh O’Connor is MVP of the cast.

Scott Mantz: Annette Bening & Bill Nighy give terrific performances as a long-married couple that start divorce proceedings. Understated & subtle, engaging & absorbing, feels almost like a play. It’s decent & watchable, but “Marriage Story” is *so* much better

Eusebeia Panopolis: William Nicholson writes and directs a version of the breakdown of his parents’ marriage. Wonderfully literate and affecting screenplay, marvelous turns by Annette Benning and Bill Nighy. Stunning Sussex white cliffs setting.

Linda Holmes: HOPE GAP, anchored by an A-plus-plus Annette Bening performance, is really solid. Also gorgeous to look at.

Lisa Trifone: I’m gonna need to sit with HOPE GAP for a minute. It’s not transcendent by any means, but never have I seen such very personal, life-altering moments in such raw detail on screen. “There were three unhappy people…and now there’s only one.”

Robert Daniels: HOPE GAP is incredibly moving. Compact family drama with Annette Bening doing incredible and stellar work. The pain of an ending marriage, and the prospects of love, Bill Nighy also offers a wonderfully forlorn and reserved performance

Gregory Ellwood: Annette Bening fans will relish Hope Gap and Josh O’Connor is adorable but….yikes. A filmed play with endless drone shots

Benjamin Lee: We’ve been here before and nothing in the film’s 100-minute length truly justifies why we’re back here again.

Peter Debruge: A film like this is better watched at home, curled up beneath the quilt with a pint of Cherry Garcia and a box of Kleenex.

ReplyCopy URL
    AMG
    Participant
    Topics:

Just Mercy First Reactions

Brian Tallerico: It’s so well-intentioned and earnest that I hate how superficial I found it. A movie can mean well but it’s not going to connect without some true grit and emotion. It’s one of those awards bait prestige dramas that leaves me…just drowsy. (Sorry.)

Wilson Morales: Wow! Just Mercy is a winner! Emotional and powerful, this story is just a fragment of many injustices of POC and needs to be seen. Michae B. Jordan was amazing but Jamie Foxx & Rob Morgan phenomenal. Not a dry eye in my row.

David Cuevas: A small scale judicial drama, that’s more Short Term Twelve than Glass Castle! I’m a sucker for a good courtcase drama, and this checked all the right notes! Michael B Jordan is terrific! Brie Larson ruled! Jamie Foxx deserves an Oscar Nom!

Jordan Ruimy: Conventional, but at times powerful, tribute to real-life attorney Bryan Stevenson, a man who has overturned over 140 death row sentences in his career. Jamie Foxx delivers best work in years & Michael B Jordan, well, he’s his usual great self. Loud applause

Erik Davis: Just Mercy is a tense, wildly engaging death-row drama that’s hard to watch at times, but also the kind of film that inspires multiple rounds of applause during the screening. Jamie Foxx and Michael B. Jordan are terrific. Will be an audience favorite for sure

Rafael Motamayor: JustMercy is the first (surely of many) movie to make me ugly cry at what a beautiful and moving film. The cast is incredible and the editing deserves all praise in the world for the fact that I didn’t feel the runtime of the film

Mark Daniell: Huge ovation for Just Mercy tonight at TIFF. This movie packs an emotional punch. Michael B Jordan delivers a career-best performance. Audiences are going to embrace this one

International Film Critique: Just Mercy is a deeply moving & important film that is easily one of the best films of the Year. A searing & vital piece of black cinema. A triumphant ode to the work & lives of amazing people. Jamie Foxx is beyond phenomenonal, and could be heading for the Oscar stage

Ashley Menzel: Just Mercy left me speechless. Such an incredible story and film. One of the best films of the year, hands down.

ReplyCopy URL
    AMG
    Participant
    Topics:

Radioactive First Reactions

Dancin Dan: Radioactive is a fantastic showcase for Rosamund Pike and actually manages to make science exciting, but can’t quite overcome some hackneyed screenwriting that plays a bit too close to The Iron Lady for comfort

Luke Hearfield: The script has its fair share of clunky melodramatic moments but Rosamund Pike is sensational (as always) as Marie and Satrapi’s metaphorical imagery is beautifully executed.

Manan Ialiwala: Radioactive is another highly conventional biopic about Marie Curie. Rosamand Pike does her best but the movie just feels like it was made for tv. My least favorite of the festival so far.

Robert Daniels: RADIOACTIVE is your typical biopic. Rosamund Pike is good as Madame Curie, but I’m left wanting

Matthew St Clair: RADIOACTIVE: AKA “THE CHEMISTRY LADY.” Has a very scattered narrative but stunning visual flare. Plus, Rosamund Pike does exemplary work as Madame Curie.

Doug Jamieson: Rosamund Pike is typically brilliant in RADIOACTIVE, which stands as a fascinating portrait of one of history’s most notable women. Some curious and dazzling visual choices by director Marjane Satrapi are letdown by a screenplay overloaded with clichè biopic tropes

Eric Kohn: RADIOACTIVE is all over the place and gets heavy-handed when it reminds of how Marie Curie’s research changed the world, but Rosamund Pike is better than ever

Dan Bayer: A great performance from Rosamund Pike and an interesting examination of what it means to be a woman ahead of her time. A wildly uneven screenplay that is just as hackneyed as it can be incisive, especially in the early going. Gives off major “The Iron Lady” vibes.

J Don Birnam: Rosamund Pike is of course brilliant and the interesting bio, warts and all, is laid bare. Some strange radioactive flourishes but very enjoyable

ReplyCopy URL
    Foolio
    Participant
    Topics:

Sounds like Pike will be the only player for Radioactive and considering how stacked next year’s Best Actress lineup already looks, even she is likely to miss out.

ReplyCopy URL
    LLLhawks
    Participant
    Topics:

Excited to see David Copperfield (for Patel) and Just Mercy ( for Foxx) based on these reviews.Thank you!

I just love movies. And awards.

ReplyCopy URL
    AMG
    Participant
    Topics:

How To Build A Girl First Reactions

Ashley Menzel: How To Build a Girl is a whip-smart and delightfully hilarious journey of self-discovery. Beanie Feldstein continues her impressive career with yet another powerhouse performance. A DEFINITE must-see from TIFF19 and one of my favorites of the year

Audrey Fox: How To Build a Girl is a delight — a funny, irreverent coming-of-age story led by a 1000 watt Beanie Feldstein. It would be a perfect double feature with Almost Famous (and I consider that pretty solid praise).

Katey Rich: How to Build a Girl is a little too small and wobbly to be another step in Beanie Feldstein’s global domination, but it’s a great case for why she deserves it. (Also includes Alfie Allen as a bona fide sex bomb, BELIEVE IT)

Jennifer Keesmaat: What a deep pleasure to see the sweet story, How To Build A Girl, at TIFF19. Filled with timely truths, and a lovely optimism, too. More Women In Film, please.

Lizo Mzimba: How To Build A Girl world premiere in Toronto had a great audience reaction. Film is never not entertaining, mainly thanks to a fabulous central performance from Beanie Feldstein. And a script packed with laughs from Caitlin Moran

David Cuevas: The birth and glorified escalation of a terrifying ego. Although it last minute attempts to redeem itself by its finale are admirable, the film all in all feels like a shallow biographical retelling

Daniel Joyaux: How to Build a Girl is fun and has some nice stylistic flourishes, but I didn’t adore it like I wanted to. Beanie is wonderful, though, and I particularly loved the film’s last line

Brian Tallerico: Just because being a teenager is inconsistent, messy, and annoying doesn’t mean movies about them need to be too.

William Caruana: While it undoubtedly treads familiar ground and some of the camera angles can be really disorienting, How To Build a Girl is a sweet movie with just the right amount of heart and raunch. Beanie Feldstein is great with a spot on British Accent, and the film is witty. 7/10

ReplyCopy URL
    Thatcher, Former Prime Minister of GoldDerby
    Participant
    Topics:

Darlings, I haven’t even seen Rosamund Pike, but she should be nominated and win for playing Marie Curie. I’m campaigning for her next season (if the Emmys award Lena Headey, as they should).

I was your Prime Minister once.

ReplyCopy URL
    Miles
    Participant
    Topics:

inb4 A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood gets mixed reviews.

ReplyCopy URL
    AMG
    Participant
    Topics:

Knives Out First Reactions

Danielle Solzmann: I haven’t laughed this hard since SXSW. Rian Johnson has given us a brilliant mystery comedy and it’s now my new favorite film this year. Well done and congrats to the Knives Out team

Chris Feil: Everyone will have a different MVP of KNIVES OUT (and there are no wrong answers here) but mine is Toni Collette playing Gwyneth Paltrow and dancing to “More Than This”

Tomris Laffly: KNIVES OUT is a fun ‘fuck you’ to rich white Trump voters, wrapped in a crafty Agatha Christie package. VERY pro immigration. And none of this is subtle. Enjoy it in a crowd

Daniel Joyaux: So Knives Out is really great! The whole cast is wonderful and it gleefully upends conventions in the whodunnit genre while still proudly being a whodunnit flick.

Audrey Fox: I’ve collected my thoughts more about Knives Out. I’m not in the prediction business but I think this is going to be a massive crowd pleaser. Also, surprisingly, this is as much a film about immigration and wealthy white entitlement as it is a whodunit.

Justin Chang: Come for the grand cast and the all-you-can-eat-the-rich buffet; stay for a classical whodunit worthy of John Dickson Carr in its hilarity and sheer ingenuity of construction. Goodness, what a delight

Gregory Ellwood: Knives Out is worth the wait till the end even if it’s a bit too long. Funny, smart and great performances. Toni Collette’s Gwyneth Paltrow impression killed me

Rendy Jones: Just took a DNA test, Knives Out is 100% that bitch. Can’t remember the last time I saw a mystery that was fun, tightly written, and amazingly constructed. Rian Johnson just crossed mystery and comedy off his list of accomplishments for he made a new timeless classic

Mike D’Angelo: With the KNIVES OUT premiere underway, think I’m finally cleared to gush that it’s the best damn film I’ve seen all year. (Throw in last year, too.) Not just the crackerjack mystery I’d hoped for, but also deeply cathartic in ways I’d never have anticipated. Final shot is pure [knife emoji]

ReplyCopy URL
    AMG
    Participant
    Topics:

Hustlers First Reactions

David Ehrlich: HUSTLERS fucking RULES! as stiletto-sharp & satisfying a story of financial crisis as Hollywood has made since 2008. Jennifer Lopez hasn’t been this good since Out of Sight. hell she wasn’t even this good IN Out of Sight. HUSTLERS XXL is gonna be the best film ever made

Gregory Ellwood: Jennifer Lopez gives the best performance of her career since Out of Sight in the impressive Hustlers

Kyle Buchanan: Jennifer Lopez strips to Fiona Apple in HUSTLERS and if you came of age in the 1990s you *will* explode

Dave Baldwin: HUSTLERS is a lot of fun. It’s Scorsese-lite, but the story is entertaining and the cast is clearly having a blast. Constance Wu is great, but Jennifer Lopez slays

Joey Nolfi: Watching an Oscar-worthy Jennifer Lopez do a striptease to Fiona Apple’s ‘Criminal’ is the most exhilarating minute you’ll ever experience. She’s never felt more dangerous + alive than she does in Hustlers. The performance of her career/one of the year’s best films

Courtney Howard: Hustlers is fabulous! Witty, bawdy & bangin’, Lorene Scafaria’s pastiche is an enticing mix of cinéma vérité & mob movie inspiration. Jennifer Lopez’s delivers the goods (her strongest character-driven performance since OUT OF SIGHT).

Alison Willmore: Holy shit does this rule.

Oliver Whitney: Hustlers is fucking great. period.

Richard Lawson: HUSTLERS is fantastic. If Lopez doesn’t get a supporting actress nod, the Academy has seen a different movie than I did

ReplyCopy URL
    AMG
    Participant
    Topics:

A Beautiful Day In The Neighbourhood First Reactions

Ashley Menzel: Of course Tom Hanks is jaw-droppingly wonderful in A Beautiful Day In The Neighborhood. Can you say “Oscar Nomination?”

Scott Menzel: A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood solidifies once again why Tom Hanks is such a legend. He transforms into Fred Rogers and delivers one of the best performances of his career. Marielle Heller’s direction is superb and pays homage to the original series.

Ella Kemp: Marielle Heller already deserved the world but A BEAUTIFUL DAY IN THE NEIGHBORHOOD confirms it. Way more than a biopic, more than a crowdpleaser, it’s so imaginative and emotional. The wisdom + compassion of Fred Rogers sets the tone for a total triumph. I looooved this

Richard Lawson: A BEAUTIFUL DAY IN THE NEIGHBORHOOD is a very sweet movie. Marielle Heller is such a good director of ~mood~ without being flashy or over-indicating. Some dudes could take a lesson from that!

Scott Mantz: A BEAUTIFUL DAY…is a beautiful movie, indeed! Intimate, moving & sensitive (& funny!) drama about forgiveness. *Not* a conventional Mr. Rogers biopic (in a good way!); Tom Hanks & Matthew Rhys are terrific. Clever framework & structure. A special, wonderful film

Jake Hamilton: A BEAUTIFUL DAY IN THE NEIGHBORHOOD was…absolutely perfect. Tom Hanks gives — seriously — one of the best performances of his entire career. This isn’t just a movie we need right now — it’s a movie we will need forever. Bring the tissues — you’ll need the entire box.

Joey Nolfi: So overwhelmed. A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood is cinematic therapy. The best film of the year. Marielle Heller finds a tender, imaginative (sometimes surrealist) way to fuse her visionary narrative with Fred Rogers’ spirit. Tom Hanks is coming for Oscar No. 3

Allison Willmore: I’m leery of stories about famous figures framed by someone else’s encounter with them, but in Heller’s charming film it makes perfect sense — Tom Hanks’ Fred Rogers is very human, but the distance lets him be a little magic as well

Esther Zuckerman: Marielle Heller’s touch is unmistakable in A BEAUTIFUL DAY IN THE NEIGHBORHOOD, which is less about Mister Rogers than about the idea of Mister Rogers, male vulnerability, and forgiveness. It’s a tearjerker, yes, but one that sneaks up on you

ReplyCopy URL
    AMG
    Participant
    Topics:

Dolemite Is My Name First Reactions

Jordan Ruimy: This is the best Eddie Murphy performance in almost two decades. It’s also the funniest movie I’ve seen all year. It felt like a blaxploitation version of ED WOOD — no coincidence it was written by the same writers. A real blast

Robert Daniels: DOLEMITE IS MY NAME is very much this year’s DISASTER ARTIST. Funny feal good story about outsiders who just want to make a mark. Amazing to see Eddie Murphy back on screen.

Jason Gorber: a delightful tribute by Eddie Murphy and co. to Rudy Ray Moore’s tenacity and legacy. With the warmth of ED WOOD, a perfect foray into that era complete with committed performances and slick style, it’s motherfuckin’ fun.

Robert Levin: Loved Dolemite is my Name. It’s funny, moving, fun – a passion project and tribute to positive thinking. Glad this exists – truly Eddie Murphy at his best.

Jenelle Riley: DOLEMITE IS MY NAME might be my favorite movie of the year. Eddie Murphy reminds you he’s both a movie star and a great actor. DaVine Joy Randolph is a brilliant discovery. The whole supporting cast is flawless.

Angie J Han: Dolemite Is My Name: if you enjoy “let’s put on a show!” movies, you’ll have a lot of fun with this one. Eddie Murphy shines and Wesley Snipes steals every scene he’s in, but it’s Da’Vine Joy Randolph who gets the holy-shit-who-is-THAT turn.

Kevin Polowy: DOLEMITE IS MY NAME is hilarious, filthy, hilariously filthy and actually pretty damn inspiring. DUG IT.

Nick Johnson: DOLEMITE IS MY NAME: Classic Eddie’s back and better than ever, baby. A blast from start to finish.

Barry Hertz: About time Netflix made a movie extolling the virtues of four-walling, which is good because this’ll play best w/ huge crowd. A more sincere and huggable DISASTER ARTIST, with a practically giddy Eddie Murphy performance that instantly wins you over.

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 224 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.