Home Forums Movies TIFF 2019

TIFF 2019

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 224 total)
Created
1 month ago
Last Reply
1 month ago
( +2 hidden )
replies
views
users
PJ Edwards
Dennis El Mar
Nikhil Nandu
  • Thatcher, Former Prime Minister of GoldDerby
    Participant
    Topics:

Darlings, Flopjo Rabbit isn’t getting nominated… at least at the Oscars. Not in a year like this. And thank God because Waititi is unbearable. Bye, darling!

I was your Prime Minister once.

ReplyCopy URL
    Dennis El Mar
    Participant
    Topics:

Okay I’m in official Jojo Rabbit unstan mode because it’s just too much of a mess, I’ve come to my senses and it’s not winning People’s Choice.

I don’t think Ford v Ferrari is taking it. People like it, but even with something like Green Book, its sentimentality and tone set it apart while people indicated that the technical aspects were the standout as opposed to the emotional content if we’re going with the crowd-pleasing argument.

ABITDN seems like a logical choice based on all the responses I’ve seen so far, but my money is on Parasite right now. It has the right amount of prestige, and yet it seems to surpass something like Ford v Ferrari as a crowdpleaser. It’s received emphatic responses at every festival so far, so I wouldn’t count it out. Marriage Story seems like a safer bet with the audience ovations during Dern’s monologue as well

ReplyCopy URL
    John Nguyen
    Participant
    Topics:

Okay I’m in official Jojo Rabbit unstan mode because it’s just too much of a mess, I’ve come to my senses and it’s not winning People’s Choice. I don’t think Ford v Ferrari is taking it. People like it, but even with something like Green Book, its sentimentality and tone set it apart while people indicated that the technical aspects were the standout as opposed to the emotional content if we’re going with the crowd-pleasing argument. ABITDN seems like a logical choice based on all the responses I’ve seen so far, but my money is on Parasite right now. It has the right amount of prestige, and yet it seems to surpass something like Ford v Ferrari as a crowdpleaser. It’s received emphatic responses at every festival so far, so I wouldn’t count it out. Marriage Story seems like a safer bet with the audience ovations during Dern’s monologue as well

yeah parasite seem like the most obvious winner or at least one of the runner ups. Im gonna put it to win first place.

ReplyCopy URL
    Edgar Pereira
    Participant
    Topics:

Call me mad, but since a lot of people LOVE JOJO RABBIT and a lot of people don’t like it, I guess some of my money is on JOJO… Those who don’t like the movie can’t vote against JOJO, so I believe lovers will push hard for this one. I don’t predict a “clean” win, but I believe it can get a runner-up place.
    Right now, my predictions are:
    #1 – WAVES
    #2 – JOJO RABBIT
    #3 – PARASITE
    #4 – A BEAUTIFUL DAY IN THE NEIGHBORHOOD
    #5 – MARRIAGE STORY

Edgar Pereira
    Cinema and Popcorn
    https://cinemaandpopcorn.blogspot.com/

ReplyCopy URL
    JackO
    Participant
    Topics:

Well in better news, it looks like Hustlers, Two Popes, Ford vs Ferrari, Joker, and Uncut Gems were received well.

Laundromat still a flop.

ReplyCopy URL
    Nikhil
    Participant
    Topics:

this comparison is ridiculous. Jojo Rabbit isn’t about one of the most beloved pop culture icons in history, nor is it going to make 900 million at the box office.

I’m not saying Jojo is going to make a ton of money or that it will have Oscar success. I think it is smart to hedge and lower it in your predictions. I am just saying I think it’s premature to discount the movie because of a few mixed reactions when a ton of people are gushing over it. Passion is huge and people will support a film they love when they think it’s threatened. Nine critics don’t make or break a film.

My personal Top 10 of the 2019 so far:
    1) Parasite 2) The Farewell 3) Joker 4) Once Upon a Time in Hollywood 5) The Peanut Butter Falcon 6) Marriage Story 7) Luce 8) Yesterday 9) Hotel Mumbai 10) Avengers: Endgame

ReplyCopy URL
    Cinephile
    Participant
    Topics:

People’s Choice predictions:

#1 – parasite
    #2 – marriage story
    #3 – waves
    #4 – ford v ferrari
    #5 – joker

ReplyCopy URL
    RealLyre852
    Participant
    Topics:

I want to say Parasite will win the TIFF award but has a movie that didn’t debut at Venice or TIFF ever won it before?

ReplyCopy URL
    JackO
    Participant
    Topics:

It does kinda seem like the year is odd enough that Parasite could win here.

ReplyCopy URL
    Seven
    Participant
    Topics:

Something is telling me that the magnificent Alfre Woodard is going to be a major factor this Oscar season.She has worked with everyone over her 40 year+ career. She has three SAG wins (2 individual, 1 ensemble) and not that these matter in the context of the Academy, but 18 Emmy nominations with 4 wins. She is a living legend and she could certainly take the veteran spot this year. That late release date does cause me panic and ditto the lack of a trailer BUT I’m thinking it is going to happen.

I don’t see her happening but I’ll keep praying. She’s such a legend

ReplyCopy URL
    Nikhil
    Participant
    Topics:

It does kinda seem like the year is odd enough that Parasite could win here.

I haven’t read much about the movie itself (on purpose), but I wonder if it’s weird/alienating to commercial audiences. The critics are obviously over the moon about it, but I wonder if Parasite is entertaining. If it is, I don’t see why it can’t win TIFF audience. Roma got third last year despite not being conventionally entertaining.

1) Parasite 2) The Farewell 3) Joker 4) Once Upon a Time in Hollywood 5) The Peanut Butter Falcon 6) Marriage Story 7) Luce 8) Yesterday 9) Hotel Mumbai 10) Avengers: Endgame

ReplyCopy URL
    TheDreamingHead
    Participant
    Topics:

I haven’t read much about the movie itself (on purpose), but I wonder if it’s weird/alienating to commercial audiences. The critics are obviously over the moon about it, but I wonder if Parasite is entertaining. If it is, I don’t see why it can’t win TIFF audience. Roma got third last year despite not being conventionally entertaining.

Trust me, Parasite is much more accessible than Roma because it hits you instantly. There’s a reason why it’s having a 100% RT, 90 Meta and 8.5 iMDB. Critics AND audience love it. If even Korean audience enjoy it, there’s no reason why the US audience wouldn’t eat it like a cake.

ReplyCopy URL
    Nikhil
    Participant
    Topics:

Trust me, Parasite is much more accessible than Roma because it hits you instantly. There’s a reason why it’s having a 100% RT, 90 Meta and 8.5 iMDB. Critics AND audience love it. If even Korean audience enjoy it, there’s no reason why the US audience wouldn’t eat it like a cake.

That’s really great to hear. Many of my friends are not cinephiles so when I take them to awards fare I get nervous sometimes. Very excited for Parasite.

ReplyCopy URL
    TheDreamingHead
    Participant
    Topics:

That’s really great to hear. Many of my friends are not cinephiles so when I take them to awards fare I get nervous sometimes. Very excited for Parasite.

Well you can consider Parasite and Roma as two opposite ends of art-house genre. One is visually stunning, the other is thought-provoking. Roma is pretty much clear on the surface, while every detail in Parasite contains an underlying meaning.

ReplyCopy URL
    nevkm
    Participant
    Topics:

Well you can consider Parasite and Roma as two opposite ends of art-house genre. One is visually stunning, the other is thought-provoking. Roma is pretty much clear on the surface, while every detail in Parasite contains an underlying meaning.

I’m dying to see this. I’m pretty sure it’s going to be my favorite movie of the year.

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 224 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.