Home Forums Movies TIFF 2019

TIFF 2019

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 106 through 120 (of 230 total)
Created
2 weeks ago
Last Reply
14 hours ago
replies
views
users
PJ Edwards
Dennis El Mar
Nikhil
  • TheDreamingHead
    Participant
    Topics:

That’s really great to hear. Many of my friends are not cinephiles so when I take them to awards fare I get nervous sometimes. Very excited for Parasite.

Well you can consider Parasite and Roma as two opposite ends of art-house genre. One is visually stunning, the other is thought-provoking. Roma is pretty much clear on the surface, while every detail in Parasite contains an underlying meaning.

ReplyCopy URL
    nevkm
    Participant
    Topics:

Well you can consider Parasite and Roma as two opposite ends of art-house genre. One is visually stunning, the other is thought-provoking. Roma is pretty much clear on the surface, while every detail in Parasite contains an underlying meaning.

I’m dying to see this. I’m pretty sure it’s going to be my favorite movie of the year.

ReplyCopy URL
    NoLogo
    Participant
    Topics:

I don’t see her happening but I’ll keep praying. She’s such a legend

Such a legend. She was robbed for Passion Fish. Prayingwishinghoping she happens.

ReplyCopy URL
    Dennis El Mar
    Participant
    Topics:

The more and more I think about it I think that Parasite is the best bet, like I said before it’s the closest thing to an overall crowd-pleaser at TIFF. While critically lauded, it does entertain to a wide audience in a way I’m not sure most other films at TIFF can, aka not solely a critical favorite like Roma. I know that Green Book won last year but I don’t think that necessarily means that a sentimental favorite is locked to win this year as well.

• This reply was modified 6 days, 11 hours ago by  Dennis El Mar.
    • This reply was modified 6 days, 11 hours ago by  Dennis El Mar.
    ReplyCopy URL
    Victor Cruz
    Participant
    Topics:

Harriet is getting mixed reviews.

1)”HARRIET: Cynthia Erivo more than proves that she can carry a story and character of this scale — but even that isn’t enough to add rhythm to a bland, conventional biopic. Janelle Monáe continues to be a bright (underused) spark in every project she’s in. #TIFF19″

2) “Harriet (2019, Kasi Lemmons)

Cynthia Erivo is so damn POWERFUL as Harriet Tubman. The movie gets more generic and repetitive as it goes on but has enough drama and action to keep you going. #TIFF19″

3)”Tho I’m glad that I’ve now watched a biopic about the great historical figure, Harriet Tubman, unfortunately #Harriet #HarrietMovie was generic, badly written, & quite boring.
    Harriet’s story deserves a more cinematic & more compelling depiction than this
    #TIFF2019 #TIFF #TIFF19”

4)”HARRIET, the first film about Harriet Tubman, may not garner raves or make much money—we’ll see—but it confirms that British actress Cynthia Erivo, a standout on stage in musicals, is also a standout on film in nonmusicals. And Janelle Monae continues to act as well as she sings.”

5) “I saw #Harriet months back during a test screening, so my review is unofficial. But I found it overall meh, some of the writing is very not good. Cynthia Erivo is solid but outshined in her own film by Leslie Odom Jr. and Henry Hunter Hall, who steal *every* scene they’re in.” – DavidPalmer41

6) “Cynthia Erivo is simply stunning in #Harriet. #TIFF2019 #TIFF19”- @guitardawn

• This reply was modified 6 days, 9 hours ago by  Victor Cruz.
    ReplyCopy URL
    John Nguyen
    Participant
    Topics:

Harriet is getting mixed reviews. 1)”HARRIET: Cynthia Erivo more than proves that she can carry a story and character of this scale — but even that isn’t enough to add rhythm to a bland, conventional biopic. Janelle Monáe continues to be a bright (underused) spark in every project she’s in. #TIFF19″ 2) “Harriet (2019, Kasi Lemmons) Cynthia Erivo is so damn POWERFUL as Harriet Tubman. The movie gets more generic and repetitive as it goes on but has enough drama and action to keep you going. #TIFF19″ 3)”Tho I’m glad that I’ve now watched a biopic about the great historical figure, Harriet Tubman, unfortunately #Harriet #HarrietMovie was generic, badly written, & quite boring. Harriet’s story deserves a more cinematic & more compelling depiction than this #TIFF2019 #TIFF #TIFF19” 4)”HARRIET, the first film about Harriet Tubman, may not garner raves or make much money—we’ll see—but it confirms that British actress Cynthia Erivo, a standout on stage in musicals, is also a standout on film in nonmusicals. And Janelle Monae continues to act as well as she sings.” 5) “I saw #Harriet months back during a test screening, so my review is unofficial. But I found it overall meh, some of the writing is very not good. Cynthia Erivo is solid but outshined in her own film by Leslie Odom Jr. and Henry Hunter Hall, who steal *every* scene they’re in.” – DavidPalmer41 6) “Cynthia Erivo is simply stunning in #Harriet. #TIFF2019 #TIFF19”- @guitardawn

it was nice knowing you cynthia

ReplyCopy URL
    JackO
    Participant
    Topics:

I guess the questions are they negative mixed like Jojo or mixed positive like Judy. I think Ervio is out as a win and nom hanging on by a thread.

welp this Feinberg take. RIP

HARRIET, the first film about Harriet Tubman, may not garner raves or make much money—we’ll see—but it confirms that British actress Cynthia Erivo, a standout on stage in musicals, is also a standout on film in nonmusicals. And Janelle Monae continues to act as well as she sings.

• This reply was modified 6 days, 8 hours ago by  PJ Edwards.
    • This reply was modified 6 days, 8 hours ago by  PJ Edwards.
    ReplyCopy URL
    Victor Cruz
    Participant
    Topics:

I guess the questions are they negative mixed like Jojo or mixed positive like Judy. I think Ervio is out as a win and nom hanging on by a thread.

welp this Feinberg take. RIP

These reviews for Harriet are lackluster. And Erivo is getting good notice but it is not the kind of undeniable reviews Renee got for example. There are even some reviews saying that Monae and one of the actors outshined her.

• This reply was modified 6 days, 8 hours ago by  Victor Cruz.
    • This reply was modified 6 days, 8 hours ago by  Victor Cruz.
    ReplyCopy URL
    Owl-Always-watching
    Participant
    Topics:

I’m going out on a limb and saying Hustler is winning Audience award this year

ReplyCopy URL
    JackO
    Participant
    Topics:

Damn the tweets are vicious.

HARRIET is the first film to tell the story of Harriet Tubman. This is such an important story so I wish it was told in a more interesting & less generic way. There are a few standout moments and Cynthia Erivo is great but overall it feels more like a made for TV movie. #Harriet

Usually you have to wade through a bunch of THIS IS THE GREATEST MOVIE IVE EVER SEEN tweets so this is a thorough dragging for Harriet lol I’m living for it.

ReplyCopy URL
    Victor Cruz
    Participant
    Topics:

Damn the tweets are vicious.

Usually you have to wade through a bunch of THIS IS THE GREATEST MOVIE IVE EVER SEEN tweets so this is a thorough dragging for Harriet lol I’m living for it.

there’s this one also:

“This felt like an overly simplified and sanitized version of history. Eventually finds its groove, but the first half severely lacks the tension and danger behind Harriet Tubman’s extraordinary efforts. Disappointing. #Harriet #TIFF19”

• This reply was modified 6 days, 7 hours ago by  Victor Cruz.
    • This reply was modified 6 days, 7 hours ago by  Victor Cruz.
    ReplyCopy URL
    RobertPius
    Participant
    Topics:

Just FYI there was a mini-series in the seventies with Cicely Tyson as Tubman. Surprisingly that didn’t receive any Emmy nominations. (never saw it, not sure of the quality.)

ReplyCopy URL
    Marcus Snowden (The Artist Formerly Known as msnowden1)
    Participant
    Topics:

It’s no surprise that Harriet is getting mixed reviews. Just looking at the trailer, you knew the movie wasn’t going to be that good.

ReplyCopy URL
    Mr. Tintin
    Participant
    Topics:

I’m surprised Bad Education isn’t being talked about more. From the reviews I’ve seen, Hugh Jackman might just give one of his best performances. I hope that it is moved to next year, so that Hugh may have a more solid shot for Oscar. (Also, I’ve heard good notices about Alison Janney).

Emmys 2019: I stan Amy Adams, Mahershala Ali, and Jason Bateman.

Oscars 2020: I stan Robert Downey, Jr., Alan Silvestri, Willem Dafoe, and Dean Deblois.

Emmys 2020: I stan David Harbour

ReplyCopy URL
    UnderHerEye
    Participant
    Topics:

With each passing day Renee Zellweger is getting closer and closer to that second statuette and my girl Alfre is so getting nominated now. When stars align they do align. Toldja Harriet was a mixed bag and Erivo was nothing to write home about.

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 106 through 120 (of 230 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.