Home Forums Movies Toronto International Film Festival 2021

Toronto International Film Festival 2021

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 4 posts - 61 through 64 (of 64 total)
Created
1 year ago
Last Reply
11 months ago
replies
views
users
JV
wolfali
gabspss
  • Profile picture
    gabspss
    Topics:

TIFF #6:

“Jagged”: I cried, I laughed, I sang, I screamed, I shivered, but most of all… I really felt this 😭. “Jagged’s” biggest strengh is how it never truly deviates from its main focus which is, of course, the album. It’s just all placed so perfectly. A truly must-watch for every fan of the album.

It's about the chaotic editing in Moulin Rouge!

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    kbc
    Topics:

fyi, following up on the conflicting info (including mine) re: audience award eligibility at TIFF.

A Hero, Last Night in Soho, Dune and Spencer are NOT eligible for the award.

I created a new, corrected poll to reflect the accurate details, and added in titles that are confirmed as being eligible for the prize to replace those that had to be dropped.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    AMG
    Topics:

The Survivor – First Reactions:

Dan Bayer: Ben Foster is SPECTACULAR in Barry Levinson’s knockout WWII boxing drama THE SURVIVOR. A protracted third act softens the blow, but this is a beauty. George Steel’s cinematography glows like old photos, the editing and sound work superb, and the ensemble is strong.

Jason Osiason: Strong first half, but fizzles out as a grief drama once there’s no story left to tell. The prosthetics work on Ben Foster in The Survivor is pretty insane. Buried beneath the make up could be an Oscar nomination if a distributor is savvy enough.

Will Martinez: The Survivor features a transformative Ben Foster delivering one of his greatest performances yet. Pacing was a bit all over the place, but the strong ensemble and compelling story kept it afloat at least. Definitely Barry Levinson’s best in so many years

Danielle Solzman: Honestly, Levinson should find himself in another Oscar race. This film is certainly up there with some of his best work. I’d also say that it is certainly in the top tier. Ben Foster turns in a career-defining performance.

Max Gao: Ben Foster delivers a knockout performance in Barry Levinson’s THE SURVIVOR, playing a boxer who struggles to carry on after fighting to survive in WWII concentration camps. Foster completely transforms into Harry Haft in this chilling and devastatingly beautiful biopic.

Keith Noakes: The Survivor has its heart in the right place but never quites comes together narratively. Its disjointed nature had its moments but the lack of development while covering so much ground lessend the emotional impact.

Gregory Ellwood: The Survivor is Barry Levinson’s best movie in…forever? It meanders a bit but moving. Ben Foster, as always, gives a very committed performance, Vicky Krieps is sublime.

Tim Grierson: It’s got its flaws, but I ended up being pretty affected by the film — thanks mostly to Ben Foster.

David Ehrlich: Foster’s performance is ultimately the only thing that holds “The Survivor” together across its three parallel timelines.

Check out more of my thoughts on Twitter (@AMG_Review) and Instagram (amg_reviews)

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    RazzleDazzle
    Topics:

A few more to add:

Excellent:

• The Humans
    • The Eyes of Tammy Faye

Good:

• Costa Brava, Lebanon
    • The Devil’s Drivers

OK:

• DASHCAM

Atrocious:

• Lakewood
    ReplyCopy URL
    Why are you reporting this post? (optional):
    Not now
Viewing 4 posts - 61 through 64 (of 64 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.