Home Forums Movies Underrated 2019 Films/Performances

Underrated 2019 Films/Performances

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)
Created
2 weeks ago
Last Reply
2 weeks ago
( +1 hidden )
replies
views
users
Brayden Fitzs..
Jays
SuperStarShap..
  • Potatohead
    Participant
    Topics:

Not sure if there’s a thread on this already, but against all of the “overrated movie” discussions I’d like to also talk about some great underrated movies and performances from 2019.

The first one that comes to mind is George MacKay in 1917. The film’s style and cinematography was brilliant, but so much of it relied on his performance to convey the terror and confusion of war. The fact that 1917 had such a great season but didn’t net any acting nominations for him was a shame.

A movie no one seemed to talk about that I was enchanted by was Terrence Malick’s A Hidden Life. It had so much empathy for the common person, and the way it was shot felt like a transcendental experience. A Hidden Life celebrates the trials and triumphs of ordinary people, and its deep emotional effect in spite of a very unsensational narrative speaks to Malick’s directorial mastery.

SuperStarShapedGummy
    Participant
    Topics:

I see nobody talking that much about “Dark Waters,” at least when it comes to year-end awards.

the film was scary and i learned something from it. If “Spotlight” can win best picture, surely this can at least warrant some recognition of some sort.

Anne Hathaway and Mark Ruffalo are great in the film.

When you have a movie like “Parasite” that talks about social class win BP. Surely “Dark Waters” would resonate with the same audience as it’s about the same issue in another breath.

and it’s based off real life events.

ReplyCopy URL
    Seven
    Participant
    Topics:

Song Kang-ho not getting a single award nom for his masterful turn in Parasite automatically makes it one of the most underrated performances of the decade. Even if we all agree that he deserved the nom

I’d even argue that he deserved to be pushed in Lead

• This reply was modified 2 weeks ago by  Seven.
    ReplyCopy URL
    JackO
    Participant
    Topics:

Many appeared on my SAG ballot

Tim Blake Nelson – Just Mercy
    Matt Damon – Ford v Ferrari
    Elizabeth Moss – Her Smell
    Florence Pugh – Fighting With My Family
    Zack Gottasgen – Peanut Butter Falcon
    Julie Walters – Wild Rose

ReplyCopy URL
    Cordelia
    Participant
    Topics:

Every performance in Pain and Glory other than the (admittedly masterful) Antonio Banderas lead performance was unjustly ignored. For how intimate a character piece that is, the side roles are crucial and well-portrayed.

Also, non-anime-centric outlets didn’t give Promare the attention it deserved. Here is an action film that has both supremely stylised and colourful spectacle AND a narrative that questions authority structures and allows for surprising intimacy. If this was a US live action film, comparisons to Mad Max Fury Road would be made.

• This reply was modified 2 weeks ago by  Cordelia.
    • This reply was modified 2 weeks ago by  Cordelia.

For Your Consideration:

Best Picture: Parasite

ReplyCopy URL
    Luca
    Keymaster
    Topics:

The entire Parasite cast, Song Kang-ho and Cho Yeo-jeong in particular. In fact, I thought they were on the same level, if not more impactful, than the actual nominees in their respective lineups. Song Kang-ho’s performance is so dynamic, and he gets to show off his versatility in this movie.

And yes, Lupita got a billion critics prizes and a SAG nom (which is great!), but she deserved more. That performance is masterful.

Oscar FYC - Lupita Nyong'o & Elisabeth Moss ("Us") - Best Actress & Supporting Actress. It must happen; otherwise the Tethered are coming.

ReplyCopy URL
    Chimichanggas
    Participant
    Topics:

Laura Dern, Marriage Story: OVERRATED
    Laura Dern, Little Women: UNDERRATED

𝙩𝙝𝙚 𝙜𝙤𝙤𝙙, 𝙩𝙝𝙚 𝙗𝙖𝙙, 𝙖𝙣𝙙 𝙮𝙤𝙪

ReplyCopy URL
    Jays
    Participant
    Topics:

Jessie Buckley in Wild Rose is the only answer! I can’t wait to watch her breakout in a big way this year and the years to come. I think she could definitely be an Oscar winner (or multiple nominee) by the end of this decade.

ReplyCopy URL
    BICTH
    Participant
    Topics:

I will never forgive neon for their failure to gather any nominations for wild rose and portrait of a lady on fire

ReplyCopy URL
    Hembie
    Participant
    Topics:

I couldn’t agree more with regards to George Mackay. I think he was overlooked but I think the industry finally took notice so he’ll be fine.

Same with Jessie Buckley. She’s superb in Wild Rose but I see good things coming her way.

Zack Gottasgen was great in Peanut Butter Falcon.

I understand why Emma Thomson didn’t get much buzz for Late Night because the movie was uneven but I personally thought it was her best performance. She was perfect in that film.

ReplyCopy URL
    Miles
    Participant
    Topics:

George MacKay was great and there is a laundry list of people who should have replaced Jonathan Pryce in the final lineup.

Luce was my favorite film of the year. Naomi Watts, Octavia Spencer, and Kelvin Harrison, Jr. all deserved nods and there was room for each of them.

ReplyCopy URL
    ArtIsntEasy
    Participant
    Topics:

I definitely agree about the PARASITE ensemble and I would also single out Cho Yeo-jeong and Song Kang-ho especially as they would’ve gotten my votes to WIN their Supporting award categories.

I also would’ve nominated Park So-dam and, frankly, Lee Jung-eun left a very strong impression with her small role as the housekeeper.

I also want to call attention to the casts of PAIN & GLORY and PORTRAIT OF A LADY ON FIRE as they deserve way more notice, especially compared to most of the nominees.

“The art of making art is putting it together...”

ReplyCopy URL
    Tyler
    Participant
    Topics:

The entire cast of Waves, specifically Taylor Russel and Sterling K Brown. If that movie had hit the way it should’ve (a24 distributed it poorly) all four family members could’ve gotten noms and it would’ve been fine (Kelvin Harrison jr was amazing and Renée Elise Goldsberry was heartbreaking)

ReplyCopy URL
    LaChienne
    Participant
    Topics:

Portrait of a Lady on Fire was paid dust but Adele Haenel especially should have made it in the lineup easily. That last scene of her at the concert is devastating.

There’s also George MacKay for 1917, Robert Pattinson for The Lighthouse and Florence Pugh for Midsommar, but my biggest disappointment for a great overlooked performance is Shia LeBeouf for Honey Boy. He had me SHOOK and I really don’t think the movie could have been as incredible as it was without him. He put so much into it and broke my heart, ugh

ReplyCopy URL
    DrewN92
    Participant
    Topics:

I think Pain & Glory was slightly underrated- I would personally have also nominated it in Screenplay, Supporting Actor (Asier Etxeandia), and Best Picture.

Also, Nicole Kidman in Bombshell. She might not have had the screentime but I actually think she was my favorite performance in the movie.

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.