Home Forums Movies VENICE 2018

VENICE 2018

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
Created
3 weeks ago
Last Reply
3 weeks ago
replies
views
users
Marco B.
FairWeatherAf..
chanelmoviestar
  • Marco B.
    Participant
    Topics:

I thought is was time to start a topic, since the line up has been unveiled:

https://www.indiewire.com/2018/07/venice-film-festival-movie-slate-2018-1201987544/

Wiseman, Morris, Kusturica, Schnabel, Leigh, Lanthimos, Guadagnino, Assayas, the Coen Brothers. I might be biased, but I think this is a rich lineup, for everyone’s tastes.

Marco B.
    Participant
    Topics:

Oh, and I might be there this time. If so, expect some daily comments on the films screened!

ReplyCopy URL
    chanelmoviestar
    Participant
    Topics:

I’m most interested in First Man, Vox Lux, The Favourite, and A Star Is Born

ReplyCopy URL
    Honey
    Participant
    Topics:

Naomi Watts is in the jury!

ReplyCopy URL
    FairWeatherAffair
    Participant
    Topics:

I can appreciate that Venice likes to take a more mainstream route than many of the top-tier festivals (especially in a time when many write them off; or perhaps, is this why they get written off?), but comments like the one under the Indiewire article, claiming that this lineup is better than Cannes, make me laugh. This is not a better lineup, but it is more accessible, and I suppose that counts for something.

Either way, looking forward to some of the premieres: Assayas, Audiard, Leigh, Martone, Tsukamoto.

ReplyCopy URL
    Marco B.
    Participant
    Topics:

I can appreciate that Venice likes to take a more mainstream route than many of the top-tier festivals (especially in a time when many write them off; or perhaps, is this why they get written off?), but comments like the one under the Indiewire article, claiming that this lineup is better than Cannes, make me laugh. This is not a better lineup, but it is more accessible, and I suppose that counts for something.

You know, I agree with you about the quality comparison with Cannes – from my point of view, I think I probably usually prefer the French lineup if I look back at previous years. But I’m a strong fan of this one, because it really is for everyone. You have a lot to enjoy if you’re into mainstream cinema and you equally have lot to enjoy if you’re the severe and rigorous cinephile.

ReplyCopy URL
    FairWeatherAffair
    Participant
    Topics:

You know, I agree with you about the quality comparison with Cannes – from my point of view, I think I probably usually prefer the French lineup if I look back at previous years. But I’m a strong fan of this one, because it really is for everyone. You have a lot to enjoy if you’re into mainstream cinema and you equally have lot to enjoy if you’re the severe and rigorous cinephile.

I think you’re right on the mark. Ultimately, for one reason or another, this lineup will excite more people than if it appealed to a specific taste level. But, sometimes I can’t help but recoil when I see names like Cuarón or Lanthimos (what happened to him post-Dogtooth?).

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.