Home Forums Movies Venice Film Festival 2019

Venice Film Festival 2019

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 101 total)
Created
6 months ago
Last Reply
6 months ago
( +1 hidden )
replies
views
users
Thatcher
Alex
Marco B.
  • AMG
    Participant
    Topics:

Taking place 28th August – 7th September

Check out more of my thoughts on Twitter (@AMG_Review) and Instagram (amg_reviews)

AMG
    Participant
    Topics:

Ad Astra First Reactions

Alex Billington: Well worth the wait. Ad Astra is glorious. An awe-inspiring, magnificent journey through space. As a big time space geek, it ticks every last box. Sensational.

Lorenzo Ciorcalo: Desperate, lyrical, heart-wrenching quest for life. The space movie Malick never made. A real To the Wonder.

Jake Luke Sharp: Visually stimulating with artistic bravado regarding the films composition and framing but aside from surface-level affirming visuals, ultimately a meandering lifeless existential entity that overly evaluates simplicity.

Radek Folta: Ad Astra is worth every second and every frame of it’s time. Monumental space odyssey that feels like an intimate psychodrama. Just for its melancholic beauty I want to immerse myself in its world again and again

Mike Ryan: phenomenal movie, AD ASTRA. This movie absolutely floored me and I can’t stop thinking about it.

Anton Volkov: Grey’s gorgeous tribute to brilliant sci fi past and present (and Apocalypse Now/Heart of Darkness of course), and an “are we alone” story focusing so well on the ‘alone’, in many thanks to Pitt.

Robbie Collin: Brad Pitt’s star quality shines in an existential sci-fi spectacular

James Mottram: Brad Pitt is on sensational, Oscar-worthy form in James Gray’s sci-fi masterpiece

David Ehrlich: Ad Astra is an awe-inspiring film about the fear of male vulnerability and the fait accompli of becoming your own father — whomever he might be

Check out more of my thoughts on Twitter (@AMG_Review) and Instagram (amg_reviews)

ReplyCopy URL
    AMG
    Participant
    Topics:

Marriage Story First Reactions

Michael Phillips: MARRIAGE STORY is a knockout. Adam Driver and Scarlett Johansson marvelous in Noah Baumbach’s fully felt chronicle of a long-distance breakup and the child in the middle. Plus Driver performs a tip-top rendition of Sondheim’s “Being Alive”

Guy Lodge: I like Marriage Story a lot, but I got the same jolt from seeing Robbie Ryan’s name in the credits that I get when it turns up in Ken Loach’s films too. Guys, don’t hide that light.

Kris Tapley: I’m biased but MARRIAGE STORY is Noah Baumbach’s best film. Full stop. Deeply human story, rich and refined visual language, perfect performances across the board — I keep swooning. I’ve spent quite some time with the film already and I look forward to going back again and again.

Alex Billington: Baumbach!! Baumbach!! Baumbach!! Baumbach!!!!!!!!!! There are two amazing scenes in Marriage Story that I wanted to give an instant standing ovation to. God WHAT A FILM. What a film.

David Ehrlich: Not sure what to make of this quite yet but it feels a bit all over the place and not quite at Meyerowitz levels. Best in concentrated, angry doses. Adam Driver sings! and there’s a bit with a knife that’s completely brilliant. Divorce looks unpleasant

Eric Kohn: MARRIAGE STORY is an astonishing showcase for Scarlett Johansson and Adam Driver, a terrific step up in ambition for Noah Baumbach, and a dark/funny/poignant evocation of the divorce process as a conduit to the paradoxes of life itself.

Anton Volkov: so that’s the acting race already locked. Total emotional rollercoaster, heartstrings galore – transfixing, funny and heartbreaking in equal measure, ScarJo and Driver are just that good. Also, of course Dern in Harvey Specter mode was glorious

Josh Rothkopf: wrecked me on many levels; it’s so much more than a definitive divorce drama and Noah Baumbach’s triumph—it’s both—but a gift of real lived-in compassion for the survivors of broken relationships.

International Film Critique: Noah Baumbach’s Marriage Story is his strongest and most resonant movie yet. A mesmerising, messy and heartbreaking film about the dissolve of a marriage. Every single actor involved is outstanding. But this is Scarlett Johansson’s chef-d’œuvre. Astonishing!

ReplyCopy URL
    Miles
    Participant
    Topics:

Once again, thank you to AMG for compiling these for us for every festival! Keep up the great work!

ReplyCopy URL
    Marco11
    Participant
    Topics:

Ah, I miss the good old days when I was there at the festival, waiting hours in a queue (that’s a little exaggeration but not by much) to get a seat for world premieres screenings and nowhere to be found restored classics. Happy for Ad Astra very positive reception! And thanks for the work, AMG!

• This reply was modified 5 months, 3 weeks ago by  Marco B..
    • This reply was modified 5 months, 3 weeks ago by  Marco B..
    ReplyCopy URL
    Moviebuff22
    Participant
    Topics:

I’ve been looking forward to Ad Astra I’m glad it’s getting great reviews

ReplyCopy URL
    AMG
    Participant
    Topics:

When awards contenders are premiering:

Fri 30th Ema
    Sat 31st Joker
    Sun 1st The Laundromat
    Mon 2nd The King

ReplyCopy URL
    Megan
    Participant
    Topics:

Let’s be real. Ad Astra isn’t getting nominated even if it’s the best reviewed film of the year.

I serve the tea (politely)

ReplyCopy URL
    Eddy Q
    Participant
    Topics:

I’m most curious about Václav Marhoul’s The Painted Bird; based on trailer alone it looks like the sort of thing that could win Golden Lion, and it even has Academy-friendly subject matter. I wonder if it could challenge Parasite as the international feature contending for major categories, if it gets picked up by a major distributor.

ReplyCopy URL
    Wigseau
    Participant
    Topics:

“Parasite” is one of the films I really want to see this year. I only heard marvelous things about it.

The acclaim towards “Marriage Story” and “Ad Astra” is so overwhelming. Never thought those films would be serious candidates for the Oscar until now.

ReplyCopy URL
    FairWeatherAffair
    Participant
    Topics:

Love to see some of the major publications just never really get what Gray is doing with his films – gotta love mainstream American critics! Lol.

ReplyCopy URL
    Hammad Asif
    Participant
    Topics:

So Joaquin Phenoix is winning his 2nd Volpi Cup then?

Kubrick-Scorsese-Nolan-Coens-PTA-Fincher-Hitchock-Spike-Tarantino-Wes Anderson-Bong Joon-Ho

ReplyCopy URL
    Eddy Q
    Participant
    Topics:

So Joaquin Phenoix is winning his 2nd Volpi Cup then?

Maybe, but they could also give it to a less well-known actor, plenty of stuff left to screen. Or Adam Driver could win again in a Volpi double with Scarlett Johansson like he did five years ago with Alba Rohrwacher for Hungry Hearts.

ReplyCopy URL
    Pollo crudo
    Participant
    Topics:

Here’s the Russian grid.
    https://kinoart.ru/venice2019/

ReplyCopy URL
    AMG
    Participant
    Topics:

Joker First Reactions

Erik Davis: JOKER is a bold, bodacious love letter to Scorsese’s The King Of Comedy, told through the lens of DC’s most iconic villain. Dark, disturbing, brutal & sad, it’s about an abused man who doesn’t start living until he’s dead inside. Joaquin Phoenix is so damn good

Ben Mekler: Crowd at Venezia76 went absolutely ballistic for JOKER. Film is dark, sick, twisted. I’m with a crowd of fellow critics right now, running through the streets of Venice just screaming. Hollering. My legs are tired. We’ve been doing this for hours. Joaquin is an Oscar contender

David Ehrlich: JOKER: visionary & derivative. radical & cowardly. the boldest comic book movie since The Dark Knight & also just another day in Chuckletown. JOKER is all contradictions & chaotic evil. for better or worse, it’s the movie the Joker would want.

Alex Billington: There will be before Joker. And there will be after Joker. I don’t know if the world is ready for this movie. Or maybe it is? It is GNARLY. It is crazy. It is audacious. It doesn’t hold back. Wow. I can’t believe it exists. But it does. And it’s coming.

John Bleasdale: My film of the festival thus far and one of the films of the year. This is NOT a comic book movie or even an elevated comic book movie(!?). It’s a thriller and a psychological portrait.

Jamie Graham: I adored Joker. Easily the darkest and most genuinely distressing comic-book movie out there. Joaquin Phoenix’s startling creation stirs our empathy & fear, and is as much a Joker for our troubled times as Heath Ledger’s was for post-9/11. Oscar nods, please

Anton Volkov: So Joker is, for lack of a better word, a sledgehammer of a film… Joaquin of course amazing, it’s unsettling and frankly terrifying

Sean Gerber: a brilliant, terrifying character study. Joaquin Phoenix will haunt you with a performance for the ages, letting you see and feel the darkness within Joker from head to toe. It’s disturbing because it’s supposed to be, leaving you uncomfortable yet fascinated.

Steven Weintraub: Joker is a great movie. It just so happens to be a comic book movie. Joaquin Phoenix will absolutely get nominated for an Oscar and the film has a real chance at end of the year awards.

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 101 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.