Home Forums Movies Venice Film Festival 2019

Venice Film Festival 2019

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 101 total)
Created
3 months ago
Last Reply
2 months ago
( +1 hidden )
replies
views
users
Thatcher
AMG
Marco B.
  • Victor Cruz
    Participant
    Topics:

American critics are easily swayed. I bet Marriage Story is just a basic divorce story with a couple of tearjerker moments. I don’t think its anything that will change cinema.

ReplyCopy URL
    Megan
    Participant
    Topics:

Let’s be real. Marriage Story is going to be another overrated average movie that the Academy loves. So boring.

I serve the tea (politely)

ReplyCopy URL
    Moviebuff22
    Participant
    Topics:

Let’s be real. Marriage Story is going to be another overrated average movie that the Academy loves. So boring.

*sees generic, boring social justice movie that 99% of people would rather suck start a shotgun then watch.

We found our best picture winner!!!

ReplyCopy URL
    AMG
    Participant
    Topics:

The King First Reactions

David Opie: Timothee Chalamet is SO good in The King. His performance is surprisingly subtle for most of the film, but he remains magnetic throughout and this lends even more even power to an intense finale. Timmy stans will lose their minds. All hail the King!

Lorenzo Ciorcalo: All hail Michod, he knew what he was doing here. Chalamet starts pleasantly like Kirsten Dunst in Marie Antoinette, then he brings shady sharpness to the role without losing that vibrant alien seductivity. Pattinson with his French debauchery is hilarious.

Billie Melissa: Well I had little to no expectations of The King because period/war is not my genre but I was hugely surprised and Chalamet did an incredible job. A couple of moments out of the accent but other than that a really powerful performance, one of his best.

James Jones: The King was good. Timothee Chalamet stays just the right side of Joffrey and is actually a pretty convincing and *hot* knight. Robert Pattinson got a few laughs as a creepy French prince. All pretty conventional but fans will love it, I’m sure.

Robbie Collin: Historical epics are rarely light on their feet, but The King sets new standards in the field of galumphing: the film moves like a rhinoceros through porridge

David Ehrlich: THE KING is not good. but Robert Pattinson plays a hilariously sociopathic dauphin who looks like Klaus Kinski and talks like a castrated Pepé le Pew and that is *very* good.

Roberto Ruggio: Despite the extremely slow pace of the first half due to a script that feels occasionally overwrought, it’s Chalamet that anchors the movie, giving it an emotional weight that wouldn’t exist otherwise.

Richard Lawson: Timothée Chalamet is great, and grows up, in THE KING. Meanwhile, Robert Pattinson is bonkers in it. This is a pretty straight-down-the-middle period war-king film, a true Boy Movie of respectable pedigree but no real distinction.

Joe Utichi: The King is the Shakespearean game of thrones we need and deserve. Timothée Chalamet’s Hal commands; a transformative role. Robert Pattinson’s Dauphin delights. Leave it to a pair of Aussies – Michôd and Edgerton – to inject fresh energy to an age-old tale

ReplyCopy URL
    Vicki Leekx
    Participant
    Topics:

So Robert Pattinson has now had raves for both The Lighthouse and The King. Certainly didn’t expect the latter. Are people still sleeping on his chances?

FYC:

Antonio Banderas and Asier Etxeandia, Dolor y Gloria (Best Actor/Supporting Actor)
    Emily Beecham, Little Joe (Best Actress)
    Ian McKellen and Helen Mirren, The Good Liar (Best Actor/Actress)

ReplyCopy URL
    nevkm
    Participant
    Topics:

Robert Pattinson plays a hilariously sociopathic dauphin who looks like Klaus Kinski and talks like a castrated Pepé le Pew and that is *very* good. 

I died. I need to see this.

ReplyCopy URL
    cracker of whips, bringer of jocks
    Participant
    Topics:

How many of you miserable b******s have actually seen Marriage Story…?

ReplyCopy URL
    John Berchmans
    Participant
    Topics:

So Robert Pattinson has now had raves for both The Lighthouse and The King. Certainly didn’t expect the latter. Are people still sleeping on his chances?

I think this year is too competitive for Pattinson in both categories, but I’m sure his time will come soon. I’m just surprised The King is getting positive reactions, since I didn’t think it would be that well received. Sadly I don’t think this film will go far at the Oscars, since Netflix has their top 2 priorities.

For Your Consideration.

Best Picture: Parasite, Jojo Rabbit, Joker, Ford v Ferrari
    Best Director: Bong-Joon Ho, Taika Waititi, Todd Phillips
    Best Actor: Joaquin Phoenix, Robert Pattinson, Roman Griffin Davis, Christian Bale
    Best Actress: Lupita Nyong'o
    Best Supporting Actor: Willem Dafoe, Song Kang-Ho, Sam Rockwell
    Best Supporting Actress: Thomasin McKensie, Cho Yeo-Jeong
    Best Adapted Screenplay: Jojo Rabbit, Joker
    Best Original Screenplay: Parasite, Ford v Ferrari

ReplyCopy URL
    Dorsey
    Participant
    Topics:

If I say it enough times, Pattinson WILL get into Best Actor, damn it!

brb stanning Adam Driver

ReplyCopy URL
    Cordelia
    Participant
    Topics:

If I say it enough times, Pattinson WILL get into Best Actor, damn it!

Starting a summoning circle to get him a Best Actor nomination, Dafoe supporting, Lighthouse best picture.

For Your Consideration:

Best Picture: Weathering With You, Parasite, The Lighthouse
    Best Supporting Actor: Willem Dafoe - The Lighthouse
    Best Animated Feature: Weathering With You, Promare
    Best International Film: Weathering With You, Parasite

ReplyCopy URL
    Marco11
    Participant
    Topics:

On a side note, Martin Eden might be a total disaster for what I know (or quite the opposite) but I suggest everyone to give Pietro Marcello’s filmography a try. Bella e perduta is a jewel.

• This reply was modified 2 months, 2 weeks ago by  Marco B..
    ReplyCopy URL
    thomasrigours
    Participant
    Topics:

On a side note, Martin Eden might be a total disaster for what I know (or quite the opposite) but I suggest everyone to give Pietro Marcello’s filmography a try. Bella e perduta is a jewel.

It’s absolutely not a disaster, the film is beautiful and has been well received in Venice. If Italia picks it for Best International feature, I could see it among the five finalists.

ReplyCopy URL
    Thatcher, Former Prime Minister of GoldDerby
    Participant
    Topics:

Darling, Monochrome Pattinson is probably 10th in my predictions right now. He can easily get higher if the critics / industry like The Lighthouse… but who knows… we’re in freaking September! Not even the Prime Minister can predict everything. Last year, we had Animatronic winning (I HAVE TO LAUGH) so… anything can happen.

I was your Prime Minister once.

ReplyCopy URL
    Eddy Q
    Participant
    Topics:

The Painted Bird seems to be putting people through the wringer, triggering not mere walkouts but actual escapes. Nonetheless, pic still looks like a potential Golden Lion winner.

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2019/sep/03/the-painted-bird-review-vaclav-mahoul

ReplyCopy URL
    Marco11
    Participant
    Topics:

It’s absolutely not a disaster, the film is beautiful and has been well received in Venice.

Thanks! Have you seen it? I guess Italy might go with The Traitor by Bellocchio though.

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 101 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.