Home Forums Movies Venice Film Festival 2019

Venice Film Festival 2019

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 101 total)
Created
1 month ago
Last Reply
1 month ago
( +1 hidden )
replies
views
users
Thatcher
AMG
Marco B.
  • thomasrigours
    Participant
    Topics:

Thanks! Have you seen it? I guess Italy might go with The Traitor by Bellocchio though.

Yes I saw it in March when I was working for the french co-producer of the film ! I’m not familiar with Marcello’s work but I think this one could meet a larger audience and I hope so.

I also think Lucrecia Martel will love it, I’ll be very disappointed if it doesn’t convert into a nice place in the palamrès on Saturday

ReplyCopy URL
    Babygirl
    Participant
    Topics:

The fumes over Marriage Story as if y’all have seen it lol

ReplyCopy URL
    Djoko
    Participant
    Topics:

What are The Painted Bird’s Oscar chances? Some are calling it a masterpiece.

ReplyCopy URL
    Cordelia
    Participant
    Topics:

What are The Painted Bird’s Oscar chances? Some are calling it a masterpiece.

Zero. People also walked out – it’s a very confronting and disturbing movie apparently.

For Your Consideration:

Best Picture: Weathering With You, Parasite, The Lighthouse
    Best Actor: Robert Pattison - The Lighthouse
    Best Supporting Actor: Willem Dafoe - The Lighthouse
    Best Animated Feature: Weathering With You, Promare
    Best International Film: Weathering With You, Parasite
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Do my forum games!

https://www.goldderby.com/forum/games-lets-play-games/72nd-oscars-runner-up-5-elimination-

ReplyCopy URL
    BICTH
    Participant
    Topics:

saturday fiction has been getting lukewarm reviews despite unanimous praises for gong li (as expected), I guess there goes its chances at best international film

ReplyCopy URL
    Hammad Asif
    Participant
    Topics:

So Volpi Cup means nothing in Best Actor/Actress race?

Kubrick-Scorsese-Nolan-Coens-PTA-Fincher-Hitchock-Spike Lee-Tarantino
    19yr old Film School Student

ReplyCopy URL
    Seven
    Participant
    Topics:

So Volpi Cup means nothing in Best Actor/Actress race?

It really doesn’t. Emma Stone and Olivia Colman just happened to win both recently but it sounds more like a coincidence rather than actual influence

The majority of these performances don’t even get an Oscar nom

ReplyCopy URL
    Hammad Asif
    Participant
    Topics:

It really doesn’t. Emma Stone and Olivia Colman just happened to win both recently but it sounds more like a coincidence rather than actual influence

The majority of these performances don’t even get an Oscar nom

So either of Driver and Joaquin winning Volpi will have no significant impact at Award season next year?

Kubrick-Scorsese-Nolan-Coens-PTA-Fincher-Hitchock-Spike Lee-Tarantino
    19yr old Film School Student

ReplyCopy URL
    Djoko
    Participant
    Topics:

Zero. People also walked out – it’s a very confronting and disturbing movie apparently.

Well it’s about the Holocaust so it’s not supposed to be all roses and dandelions. Holocaust films historically do well with the Academy so I wouldn’t say zero.

ReplyCopy URL
    Cordelia
    Participant
    Topics:

Well it’s about the Holocaust so it’s not supposed to be all roses and dandelions. Holocaust films historically do well with the Academy so I wouldn’t say zero.

Some disturbing Holocaust movies such as Son of Saul have done well at the Oscars, but this movie seems to be noticeably more graphic and disturbing in its violence and sexual content than that.

Bestiality, rape scenes, eye gougings – that seems a step beyond what the Academy has rewarded in Holocaust films. Hence, I stand by my Zero judgement.

For Your Consideration:

Best Picture: Weathering With You, Parasite, The Lighthouse
    Best Actor: Robert Pattison - The Lighthouse
    Best Supporting Actor: Willem Dafoe - The Lighthouse
    Best Animated Feature: Weathering With You, Promare
    Best International Film: Weathering With You, Parasite
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Do my forum games!

https://www.goldderby.com/forum/games-lets-play-games/72nd-oscars-runner-up-5-elimination-

ReplyCopy URL
    Djoko
    Participant
    Topics:

Some disturbing Holocaust movies such as Son of Saul have done well at the Oscars, but this movie seems to be noticeably more graphic and disturbing in its violence and sexual content than that.

Bestiality, rape scenes, eye gougings – that seems a step beyond what the Academy has rewarded in Holocaust films. Hence, I stand by my Zero judgement.

Or the filmmakers will be applauded for trying to show the real atrocities of the Holocaust and not “Hollywoodizing” it.

ReplyCopy URL
    manakamana
    Participant
    Topics:

The Marcello Mastroianni Prize is between Babyteeth and The Painted Bird. I think one wins here and one wins another (perhaps Screenplay for Babyteeth, Director for The Painted Bird, but neither for the top prize).

Roy Andersson seems poised for at least some kind of prize, maybe Special or Screenplay.

The festival director Barbera is going through outlandish means to pressure the jury to reward Polanski’s film. That can be in the form of Jean Dujardin, unless Lucrecia Martel genuinely doesn’t mind giving Polanski a prize.Both Adam Driver and Joaquin Phoenix have both won before already anyways.

Based on the role I presumed before the festival that Gong Li would be a strong frontrunner for Best Actress, but the reviews of her film seem divisive.

Other Actress options include Catherine Deneuve and Scarlett Johansson, though I feel like the jury might prefer to reward Baumbach himself for the film rather than Adam or ScarJo. I could definitely see Meryl, which would cap her triple-fest crown (having won in Berlin for The Hours and Cannes for A Cry in the Dark).

It also makes sense that Martel would at least push for one of the Latin American contenders — Larraín’s Ema or Ciro Guerra’s Waiting for Barbarians. Haifaa al-Mansour’s A Perfect Candidate hasn’t had strong reviews but could be a politically correct option, perhaps even a counterbalance prize to Polanski.

Best guesses right now –
    Golden Lion: Martin Eden by Pietro Marcello
    Grand Jury Prize: About Endlessness by Roy Andersson
    Silver Lion for Best Director: Václav Marhoul for The Painted Bird
    Volpi Cup for Best Actress: Scarlett Johansson for Marriage Story by Noah Baumbach
    Volpi Cup for Best Actor: Jean Dujardin for J’Accuse (An Officer and a Spy) by Roman Polanski
    Best Screenplay Award: The Laundromat by Scott Z. Burns
    Special Jury Prize: No. 7 Cherry Lane by Yonfan
    Marcello Mastroianni Award: Eliza Scanlen for Babyteeth by Shannon Murphy

• This reply was modified 1 month, 1 week ago by  manakamana.
    ReplyCopy URL
    Eddy Q
    Participant
    Topics:

International Feature and Cinematography nominations are distinct possibilities, assuming Czech Republic submits it and it gets US distribution this year.

ReplyCopy URL
    LaChienne
    Participant
    Topics:

If it’s even 1/10th as fucked up as the book was, this trend will continue and it will be shot. So fucked up that when I first read it I thought it would be Blood Meridian levels of impossible to adapt, yet here we are.

Of course I’ll see it though. Amazing work.

ReplyCopy URL
    manakamana
    Participant
    Topics:

The Painted Bird will be divisive. I imagine US critics like Manohla Dargis tearing it apart (IIRC she called Son of Saul “intellectually repellant,” which was pretty admired by most critics).

Roman Polanski won the FIPRESCI Prize for An Officer and a Gentleman (J’Accuse).

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 101 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.