Home Forums Movies Venice Film Festival 2019

Venice Film Festival 2019

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 101 total)
Created
6 months ago
Last Reply
6 months ago
( +1 hidden )
replies
views
users
Thatcher
Alex
Marco B.
  • FairWeatherAffair
    Participant
    Topics:

So I agree, it’s sad that a classy festival like Venice ends awarding Clownery.

Ha! Venice, unfortunately, has not been classy for years, my dear PM.

Happy for Polanski, as this looks to be his best since Venus in Fur, which was quite good. Rolling my eyes at Joker, which appears to be following in the footsteps of our past few Golden Lion winners; this does not bode well, in terms of quality.

ReplyCopy URL
    Pollo crudo
    Participant
    Topics:

Todd Phillips has a Golden Lion now? OMG
    After this, I’d say Joker has a chance to win Audience Award at TIFF.

ReplyCopy URL
    Pollo crudo
    Participant
    Topics:

And to think Lav Diaz won here three years ago!

ReplyCopy URL
    thatnerdgreg
    Participant
    Topics:

Yes because drugging and raping a 13 year old, then fleeing the country so as to not pay for the crime is a “mistake” and he clearly suffered by making countless other films and being heavily awarded for them.

https://media1.giphy.com/media/RS26SZVbcRjy0/source.gif

ReplyCopy URL
    FairWeatherAffair
    Participant
    Topics:

And to think Lav Diaz won here three years ago!

Gach! Those were the days!

ReplyCopy URL
    Djoko
    Participant
    Topics:

The only person to blame here was a mother who tried to pimp her teenage daughter. Why has no one ever tried to prosecute her? I’m not gonna discuss it further because this thread is about Venice Film Festival not an unfortunate mistake that happened years ago.

You’re an absolute and total moron.

ReplyCopy URL
    Anthony 🐜
    Participant
    Topics:

Darlings, awarding comic book “superhero” movie is, in my holy opinion, a clear sympton that cinema is dying. So I agree, it’s sad that a classy festival like Venice ends awarding Clownery.

Cinema is alive and well, honey. 2019 just delivered the highest grossing film of all time, and countless other massive box office hits.

Venice, Lucretia Martel and her jury just brought Venice back to the people. Go watch the videos of the crowd reactions when Joker was announced the Golden Lion winner. It’s the first time in years that people lined the streets outside to see a film they love, getting honored with the Leone d’Or. Martel and her jury was applauded today for their bold, refreshing decisions.

They just made Venice relevant again, to the people that actually matter: the thousands of people who flock to festivals to see films, and people who go to cinemas to pay for movies. Not just critics.

What is dying is the grip that pretentious critics and people like you have had on cinema. The Metacritic lists and snobbish attitudes towards popular films and genres. The big divide and clear disconnect between critics and audiences is very evident.

What is dying is the Oscars telecast because it panders to woke Twitter and their obsession with niche films that the general public is not interested in seeing.

Last year, the Oscars made bold choices to include popular films, to bring back the audiences that they lost over the years. And it worked. Ratings didn’t drop, it increased.

This year, with that clownery film and other popular films that critics pull their noses up at, the Oscar at least has a fighting chance to stay relevant.

ReplyCopy URL
    JGibson
    Participant
    Topics:

I’m shook by the choices and Joker’s victory is indeed refreshing. But how could they do this to Polanski? Wow, do they just want some controversy.

And aside from the Luca Marinelli win, Lucrecia Martel looked SO PISSED announcing the winners. She was probably outvoted if that’s they do a voting system

Her reaction is priceless through it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hCJPW6x5NT8

But yeah, the audience really is here for Joker. If it enters Best Drama at the Globes then it’s also coming for BP

FYC: Best Actor - Jonathan Pryce for The Two Popes

ReplyCopy URL
    Rachel_Ann
    Participant
    Topics:

The only person to blame here was a mother who tried to pimp her teenage daughter. Why has no one ever tried to prosecute her? I’m not gonna discuss it further because this thread is about Venice Film Festival not an unfortunate mistake that happened years ago.

I believe the mother thought it was a simple modeling gig. I doubt she ever even thought Polanski would put the moves on her 13-year-old daughter. Her mother was the first one to call the police when her daughter told her that Roman raped her and she supported her daughter in court.

ReplyCopy URL
    estrelasdealgeruz
    Participant
    Topics:

I’m shook by the choices and Joker’s victory is indeed refreshing. But how could they do this to Polanski? Wow, do they just want some controversy. And aside from the Luca Marinelli win, Lucrecia Martel looked SO PISSED announcing the winners. She was probably outvoted if that’s they do a voting system Her reaction is priceless through it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hCJPW6x5NT8 But yeah, the audience really is here for Joker. If it enters Best Drama at the Globes then it’s also coming for BP

From what i’ve read, Lucrecia didn’t want to attend Polanski’s movie premiere. She said it would be a total disrespect towards the rape and harassment victims. So i don’t know if she did attended it. But to be honest even i would be pissed if i had to award a rapist, no matter how good a director.

ReplyCopy URL
    thatnerdgreg
    Participant
    Topics:

The Polanski win really is extremely upsetting. I can’t deny he’s an exceptional filmmaker, but this industry still embracing the work of a known criminal who’s never apologized for his utterly vile actions is sickening. In today’s era, we’ve seen many careers damaged and/or ruined because of sexual harassment, but somehow, a fucking child molester is still earning highly prestigious awards. I just don’t know what to think of it. All I know is it pisses me the fuck off.

ReplyCopy URL
    Thatcher, Prime Minister of GoldDerby
    Participant
    Topics:

Darlings, I’m tired of the SJW bullshit. Is Roman Polanski a terrible human being? Yes. Is he talented? Of course he is. PERIOD.

As a famous singer said, "ain't nobody gonna Thatcher, Thatcher, Thatcher!"

ReplyCopy URL
    JGibson
    Participant
    Topics:

From what i’ve read, Lucrecia didn’t want to attend Polanski’s movie premiere. She said it would be a total disrespect towards the rape and harassment victims. So i don’t know if she did attended it. But to be honest even i would be pissed if i had to award a rapist, no matter how good a director.

yes, actually her quote felt ambiguous as there were media outlets stating she was endorsing Polanski and others stating the contrary.

she did say the film could be in competition and be judged like any other film but she would not like to congratulate it. thats’s why she didn’t attend the premiere but obviously watched in another occasion.

but also she says his presence is challenge as it makes us reflect what should be the place for such films and people like him in the industry, considering he didn’t serve his full penalty but the victim allegedly forgave him (though he never asked for an apology). so yes, it’s an open topic but his award doesn’t look too bright for it. if Lucrecia wanted a conversation she’s getting some.

FYC: Best Actor - Jonathan Pryce for The Two Popes

ReplyCopy URL
    Tyler
    Participant
    Topics:

Darlings, I’m tired of the SJW bullshit. Is Roman Polanski a terrible human being? Yes. Is he talented? Of course he is. PERIOD.

SJW bullshit would be cancelling Polanski for accidentally speaking something offensive. He is a rapist, and film is not a cheap medium. By supporting his work, Venice allows producers to continue funding his films over filmmakers who aren’t despicable people.

ReplyCopy URL
    FairWeatherAffair
    Participant
    Topics:

Use this as an excuse to go watch the films of Lucrecia Martel, everyone!

I don’t say this lightly: she really is one of the best directors of the century.

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 101 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.