Home Forums Movies Venice Film Festival 2019

Venice Film Festival 2019

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 11 posts - 91 through 101 (of 101 total)
Created
2 months ago
Last Reply
2 months ago
( +1 hidden )
replies
views
users
Thatcher
AMG
Marco B.
  • thatnerdgreg
    Participant
    Topics:

SJW bullshit would be cancelling Polanski for accidentally speaking something offensive. He is a rapist, and film is not a cheap medium. By supporting his work, Venice allows producers to continue funding his films over filmmakers who aren’t despicable people.

ReplyCopy URL
    Marco11
    Participant
    Topics:

I tend to agree with Thatcher and FairWeatherAffair; I do not like this new tendency of Venice to be more and more mainstream, at any cost; to become what, a good Oscar predictor?

As for Polanski, he’s obviously a great director and this kind of issue deserve a better discussion than the usual “he’s a monster” or “separate the man from the artist” anthems. I don’t even have a clear opinion on that, but one thing I’m convinced of is that once his film was selected, and considering that a movie is not the result of one single mind but it is the product of hundreds people’s effort, it had the right to be treated like the rest of its competition – which is what happened, apparently.

ReplyCopy URL
    Thatcher, Former Prime Minister of GoldDerby
    Participant
    Topics:

I tend to agree with Thatcher and FairWeatherAffair; I do not like this new tendency of Venice to be more and more mainstream, at any cost; to become what, a good Oscar predictor?

As for Polanski, he’s obviously a great director and this kind of issue deserve a better discussion than the usual “he’s a monster” or “separate the man from the artist” anthems. I don’t even have a clear opinion on that, but one thing I’m convinced of is that once his film was selected, and considering that a movie is not the result of one single mind but it is the product of hundreds people’s effort, it had the right to be treated like the rest of its competition – which is what happened, apparently.

Darling, thank you.

I was your Prime Minister once.

ReplyCopy URL
    Dana S.
    Participant
    Topics:

<p style=”text-align: center;”>

The Polanski win really is extremely upsetting. I can’t deny he’s an exceptional filmmaker, but this industry still embracing the work of a known criminal who’s never apologized for his utterly vile actions is sickening.

</p>
    Um, I think in this particular case, where 13 year old girl was raped, it doesn’t matter if Polanski apologized or not. Apologies don’t soothe rape.

ReplyCopy URL
    thatnerdgreg
    Participant
    Topics:

<p style=”text-align: center;”> </p> Um, I think in this particular case, where 13 year old girl was raped, it doesn’t matter if Polanski apologized or not. Apologies don’t soothe rape.

You’re right. An apology wouldn’t make up for his rape of Samantha Geimer. However, the fact that he never showed regret for his horrific crime shows just how disgustingly awful Polanski truly is.

ReplyCopy URL
    JackO
    Participant
    Topics:

Folks making excuses for Polanski? Gross. The guy skipped town so he wouldnt face justice. I dont care how great his movies are, and they aren’t, that’s unconscionable.

ReplyCopy URL
    thatnerdgreg
    Participant
    Topics:

Folks making excuses for Polanski? Gross. The guy skipped town so he wouldnt face justice. I dont care how great his movies are, and they aren’t, that’s unconscionable.

It really gets under my skin how many people in Hollywood are still willing to defend him. I had hoped that the ME TOO movement would’ve been the final nail in the coffin, but this Venice win shows he still has support. I know the world isn’t black and white, but raping a child is fucking evil.

ReplyCopy URL
    John Berchmans
    Participant
    Topics:

Guys, please stop defending Polanski. He’s a proved rapist, guilty as charged, and he didn’t even serve his punishment. He was awarded an Oscar even after being found guilty. This man in no way deserves any of the success he has received since then.

For Your Consideration.

Best Picture: Parasite, Jojo Rabbit, Joker
    Best Director: Bong-Joon Ho, Taika Waititi, Todd Phillips
    Best Actor: Joaquin Phoenix, Robert Pattinson, Roman Griffin Davis
    Best Actress: Lupita Nyong'o
    Best Supporting Actor: Willem Dafoe, Song Kang-Ho, Sam Rockwell
    Best Supporting Actress: Thomasin McKensie, Cho Yeo-Jeong
    Best Adapted Screenplay: Jojo Rabbit, Joker
    Best Original Screenplay: Parasite

ReplyCopy URL
    Thatcher, Former Prime Minister of GoldDerby
    Participant
    Topics:

Guys, please stop defending Polanski. He’s a proved rapist, guilty as charged, and he didn’t even serve his punishment. He was awarded an Oscar even after being found guilty. This man in no way deserves any of the success he has received since then.

Darling, literally nobody defends Polanski. He’s a well known asshole and rapist. I’ll send my troops against him, but he’s talented.

I was your Prime Minister once.

ReplyCopy URL
    Pollo crudo
    Participant
    Topics:

From what i’ve read, Lucrecia didn’t want to attend Polanski’s movie premiere. She said it would be a total disrespect towards the rape and harassment victims. So i don’t know if she did attended it. But to be honest even i would be pissed if i had to award a rapist, no matter how good a director.

She didn’t attend the gala, but watched it on a later screening.

ReplyCopy URL
    JackO
    Participant
    Topics:

It reminds me of those people also that were supporting the Kentucky senatorial candidate (was it Kentucky?) that had sexually molested teenage girls.

I think it was actually Alabama but you never know what Moscow Mitch has been up to these days

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 11 posts - 91 through 101 (of 101 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.