Home Forums Movies Venice Film Festival 2021

Venice Film Festival 2021

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 108 total)
Created
2 weeks ago
Last Reply
3 days ago
replies
views
users
kaziz
LA26
Jajajajjaja
  • Profile picture
    diego
    Topics:

Bong Joon-ho is jury president. Almodóvar’s Parallel Mothers will be the opening film.

A full announcement on the films in competition should be coming out soon, for now we know that Spencer and The Power of the Dog are part of the selection.  Dune will screen out of competition

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Almodóvar’s Parallel Mothers will be the opening film.

Cruz coming for the Volpi cup?

FYC: All things The Crown, Hacks and I May Destroy You (and Hannah Waddingham and Julianne Nicholson whilst you're at it)!!

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Melvinezq
    Topics:

I can’t understand why the juries chose Emma Stone over Natalie Portman back in 2016. Assuming that it shows how they prefer non-biopic performance (although the juries will be totally different), I think Stewart may not be benefitted, and Cruz can really get it. I can also see they give it to Dunst ala Colman (Grand Jury + Actress although it should’ve gotten Golden Lion). Whatever will happen, it’s going to be a festival full of great films.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    roger88
    Topics:

I can’t understand why the juries chose Emma Stone over Natalie Portman back in 2016.

Because they prefer Emma Stone’s performance over Natalie’s? I know it sounds hard, but it happens.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    kaziz
    Topics:

Dunst for Volpi, unless The Power of the Dog gets the Golden Lion. Like it or not, her having won at Cannes gives her a lot more cred in Europe, and her being American only helps because Venice relishes being an Oscar bellwether far more than Cannes.

For the Golden Lion, they’ll want the baitiest Oscar film. I think The Power of the Dog is the most likely as of now, but who knows. They went for Joker, so they may go for Dune…

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    kaziz
    Topics:

Because they prefer Emma Stone’s performance over Natalie’s? I know it sounds hard, but it happens.

Lol yeah I dunno why people find this so controversial. I know Film Twitter & GD were heavy on Natalie Portman, but for the most part, it was pretty equal, and I think many also felt Rampling was the best in the eventual category (she was).

The better question is how the Golden Lion didn’t go to La Land, Arrival, or The Untamed. They were all super well-received. Nocturnal Animals won the Silver Lion (weird).

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    diego
    Topics:

For the Golden Lion, they’ll want the baitiest Oscar film. I think The Power of the Dog is the most likely as of now, but who knows. They went for Joker, so they may go for Dune…

Dune won’t be in competition for the Golden Lion.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    kaziz
    Topics:

Dune won’t be in competition for the Golden Lion.

Lol, I’m so stupid. I knew that and just forgot. Thanks for the correction.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    LA26
    Topics:

I hope Blonde premieres at the festival.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

I hope Blonde premieres at the festival.

When Julianne Nicholson pulls a Regina King and wins an Emmy and then an Oscar yup yup.

FYC: All things The Crown, Hacks and I May Destroy You (and Hannah Waddingham and Julianne Nicholson whilst you're at it)!!

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    kaziz
    Topics:

When Julianne Nicholson pulls a Regina King and wins an Emmy and then an Oscar yup yup.

I cannot wait for Julianne Nicholson to finally get what she deserves, which is EVERYTHING. Thank god she got nominated for Mare of Easttown. I know she was predicted to, but she’s been snubbed for so long I was afraid it might happen again.

When it comes to Blonde, I honestly care far more about Nicholson than de Armas.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    FairWeatherAffair
    Topics:

Predicting another walloping letdown this year from Venice… Once great she was! Remember when the Lion went to the likes of Still Life, Faust, and The Woman Who Left ? 😭

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    LA26
    Topics:

Chloe Zhao has been added as a member of the jury, and the lineup will be revealed on July 26: https://variety.com/2021/film/news/oscar-chloe-zhao-venice-jury-1235024458/amp/?__twitter_impression=trueI

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    manakamana
    Topics:

The full jury slates are pretty impressive.

Main Jury:
    – Bong Joon Ho (President)
    – Chloé Zhao
    – Virginie Efira
    – Cynthia Erivo
    – Sarah Gadon
    – Saverio Costanzo
    – Alexander Nanau

Orrizonti:
    – Jasmila Žbanić
    – Mona Fastvold
    – Shahram Mokri
    – Josh Siegel
    – Nadia Terranova

Love seeing Žbanić head a jury of her own after being robbed of a Venice prize last year and the International Oscar win (still convinced Quo vadis, Aida would’ve beaten Another Round had voters had actually bothered to watch it like in older jury systems).

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Chitanda170
    Topics:

Predicting another walloping letdown this year from Venice… Once great she was! Remember when the Lion went to the likes of Still Life, Faust, and The Woman Who Left ? 😭

The Shape of Water and Joker are great movies, I’m glad these movies won the Golden Lion 😄

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 108 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.