Home Forums Movies Venice Film Festival 2021

Venice Film Festival 2021

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 500 total)
Created
3 months ago
Last Reply
1 month ago
replies
views
users
kaziz
Watcher
veronikavoss
  • Profile picture
    Marco11
    Topics:

To be perfectly honest, I’ve recently fell in love with Virginie Efira and my head is spinning when I see her. Glad to hear she’s in the main jury!

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Stank83
    Topics:

To be perfectly honest, I’ve recently fell in love with Virginie Efira and my head is spinning when I see her. Glad to hear she’s in the main jury!

I feel you, man.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    JV
    Topics:

https://mobile.twitter.com/victorsaintmac/status/1419315741736775682

I don’t think Kristen Stewart and Ana de Armas are winning the Volpi Cup. They usually only go for performances in American/English speaking movies if they’re winning or at least getting nominated to the Oscars. The last one that didn’t get a Oscar nomination was Rose Byrne for The Goddess of 1967.
    I’d written Olivia Colman off too, since they usually don’t repeat winners.

Having said that, if one of those win then we should keep an eye on them.

The Power of the Dog seems like the biggest oscar contender in this bunch and the Golden Lion has been trending to more Oscar friendly movies in the last years. So I think it’s the favorite.
    Last Night in Soho would be my NGNG prediction.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    sarahvsmovies
    Topics:

https://mobile.twitter.com/victorsaintmac/status/1419315741736775682 I don’t think Kristen Stewart and Ana de Armas are winning the Volpi Cup. They usually only go for performances in American/English speaking movies if they’re winning or at least getting nominated to the Oscars. The last one that didn’t get a Oscar nomination was Rose Byrne for The Goddess of 1967. I’d written Olivia Colman off too, since they usually don’t repeat winners. Having said that, if one of those win then we should keep an eye on them. The Power of the Dog seems like the biggest oscar contender in this bunch and the Golden Lion has been trending to more Oscar friendly movies in the last years. So I think it’s the favorite. Last Night in Soho would be my NGNG prediction.

So is this the in competition list? More or less what I expected…a tad surprised at no Nightmare Alley or Soggy Bottom but maybe they are being saved for NYFF.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Elsa Korr
    Topics:

Go get your Volpi Cup, Taylor Joy/McKenzie!!!

FYC-Nightmare Alley in All Categories (Best Picture, Guillermo Del Toro for Best Director, Bradley Cooper for Best Actor, Cate Blanchett for Best Actress, Rooney Mara for Best Supporting Actress, Richard Jenkins for Best Supporting Actor)

FYC-Last Night in Soho (Edgar Wright for Best Director, Thomasin McKenzie for Best Actress, Anya Taylor Joy for Best Supporting Actress, Edgar Wright and Krysty Wilson Cairns for Best Original Screenplay)

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Last Night in Soho.

Oscars FYC:
    "THE POWER OF THE DOG" – IN ALL CATEGORIES
    "SPENCER" – In all categories especially Director (Pablo Larrain) and Actress (Kristen Stewart)
    "SHIVA BABY" – in all categories especially Picture, Adapted Screenplay, Score
    "TOGETHER" – Actress (Sharon Horgan), Actor (James McAvoy), Original Screenplay
    "FLEE" – IN ALL CATEGORIES
    "LAST NIGHT IN SOHO" – Director (Edgar Wright), S. Actress (Anya Taylor-Joy/Diana Rigg), Cinematography, Costume Design and Production Design

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    skyes
    Topics:

The Lost Daughter! 🤩

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    kaziz
    Topics:

THE LOST DAUGHTER!!!

Okay, as much as I want Kirsten Dunst to sweep the whole damn season, if there’s literally anybody who can break the trend of “not repeating winners”, it’s Olivia Colman. That role. That material. That character. It. Is. Everything. If I were Dunst, I’d be most scared of Colman.

The Power of the Dog, The Hand of God, Triangle of Sadness, and Parallel Mothers seem most like potential Golden Lion winners to me. On paper. Who knows.

FYC:
    Picture: The Power of the Dog, Passing, The Lost Daughter
    Director: Jane Campion, Rebecca Hall
    Actor: Benedict Cumberbatch
    Actress: Tessa Thompson, Olivia Colman
    Supporting Actress: Kirsten Dunst, Ruth Negga, Dakota Johnson, Jessie Buckley
    Supporting Actor: Kodi Smit-McPhee, Jesse Plemons

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    kaziz
    Topics:

So is this the in competition list? More or less what I expected…a tad surprised at no Nightmare Alley or Soggy Bottom but maybe they are being saved for NYFF.

Nightmare Alley may go to Telluride. Jordan Ruimy at World of Reel thinks it’ll skip all of them & go to AFI, I’m guessing that’s based on some insider knowledge, but Telluride sure seems possible to me. The Shape of Water played incredibly there (it was there and at Venice). Lol I actually met Guillermo del Toro that year and he was talking about how Telluride being a super chill, no-frills fest was really awesome for him.

FYC:
    Picture: The Power of the Dog, Passing, The Lost Daughter
    Director: Jane Campion, Rebecca Hall
    Actor: Benedict Cumberbatch
    Actress: Tessa Thompson, Olivia Colman
    Supporting Actress: Kirsten Dunst, Ruth Negga, Dakota Johnson, Jessie Buckley
    Supporting Actor: Kodi Smit-McPhee, Jesse Plemons

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    crabbie
    Topics:

Kirsten Dunst or Penelope Cruz taking the Volpi Cup is my guess.

Michelle Williams Oscar campaign manager.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

I think unless there is a surprise from something like The Lost Daughter that the likeliest “Oscar contenders” to take the Golden Lion are The Power of the Dog and Last Night in Soho.

Oscars FYC:
    "THE POWER OF THE DOG" – IN ALL CATEGORIES
    "SPENCER" – In all categories especially Director (Pablo Larrain) and Actress (Kristen Stewart)
    "SHIVA BABY" – in all categories especially Picture, Adapted Screenplay, Score
    "TOGETHER" – Actress (Sharon Horgan), Actor (James McAvoy), Original Screenplay
    "FLEE" – IN ALL CATEGORIES
    "LAST NIGHT IN SOHO" – Director (Edgar Wright), S. Actress (Anya Taylor-Joy/Diana Rigg), Cinematography, Costume Design and Production Design

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    lolo's
    Topics:

That’s not the Competition list. The announcement starts in an hour and my guess is that many of those titles will go out of comp

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    schmids
    Topics:

Yeah that’s not the list. That’s a list of guesses from a film website that is just doing the rounds on Twitter.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    lolo's
    Topics:

Last Duel out of competition

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    lolo's
    Topics:

Last Night in Soho also out of competition

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 500 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.