Home Forums Movies Venice Film Festival 2021

Venice Film Festival 2021

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 500 total)
Created
2 months ago
Last Reply
2 weeks ago
replies
views
users
kaziz
Watcher
veronikavoss
  • Profile picture
    kaziz
    Topics:

You’re not the only one who feel that way though.

I didn’t think I was the only one, I was just asking lol

FYC:
    Picture: The Power of the Dog, Passing, The Lost Daughter
    Director: Jane Campion, Rebecca Hall
    Actor: Benedict Cumberbatch
    Actress: Tessa Thompson, Olivia Colman
    Supporting Actress: Kirsten Dunst, Ruth Negga, Dakota Johnson, Jessie Buckley
    Supporting Actor: Kodi Smit-McPhee, Jesse Plemons

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Elsa Korr
    Topics:

I didn’t think I was the only one, I was just asking lol

oh pardon, im basically saying that i also feel odd on that matters.

FYC-Nightmare Alley in All Categories (Best Picture, Guillermo Del Toro for Best Director, Bradley Cooper for Best Actor, Cate Blanchett for Best Actress, Rooney Mara for Best Supporting Actress, Richard Jenkins for Best Supporting Actor)

FYC-Last Night in Soho (Edgar Wright for Best Director, Thomasin McKenzie for Best Actress, Anya Taylor Joy for Best Supporting Actress, Edgar Wright and Krysty Wilson Cairns for Best Original Screenplay)

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    kaziz
    Topics:

oh pardon, im basically saying that i also feel odd on that matters.

hahahaha, ah, sorry! I thought I had said it rudely or naively.

FYC:

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Orestes
    Topics:

Toni Servillo has THREE films in Venice, the one in competition probably being the best (The Hand of God). I’m very confident in Cumberbatch at the Oscars but I feel like Servillo is best placed to win the Volpi.

It helps that Servillo has remarkably never won the Volpi until now (or at least, it doesn’t hurt). Sort of like Cotillard at Cannes lol.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Coltrane
    Topics:

Oh! Kristen Stewart, Kirsten Dunst, Olivia Colman all in the running for the Volpi! This will be interesting 🙂 Both Stewart and Dunst would be getting their first nominations for the Oscars. I love both but Stewart has much more to prove, Dunst is far beyond proving herself. I wonder how Kristen Stewart will top Emma Corrin’s performance, but frankly I didn’t think Corrin was that great in The Crown. She just looked the part better than Stewart will. I can see Venice giving Best Actress to Stewart, Dunst, or Colman. Hopefully Dunst, but I love all three!

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    estrelas
    Topics:

Oh! Kristen Stewart, Kirsten Dunst, Olivia Colman all in the running for the Volpi! This will be interesting 🙂 Both Stewart and Dunst would be getting their first nominations for the Oscars. I love both but Stewart has much more to prove, Dunst is far beyond proving herself. I wonder how Kristen Stewart will top Emma Corrin’s performance, but frankly I didn’t think Corrin was that great in The Crown. She just looked the part better than Stewart will. I can see Venice giving Best Actress to Stewart, Dunst, or Colman. Hopefully Dunst, but I love all three!

Don’t rule out Penélope Cruz. She has two projects in the competition and I honestly think she’s stronger than Colman and even Stewart (presuming Cruz movies are good). Not to mention, Almodovar is really good at getting his Actors wins at Film Festivals. Regarding Colman, they’ve only reawrded the same actress for the Volpi three times and they had huge gap between their wins (Huppert only had a 7 year gap but her second win was shared with her co-star), so I don’t see Olivia winning again this early. Kristen could pull it off but Portman losing the Volpi for Jackie gives me pause.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    kaziz
    Topics:

Don’t rule out Penélope Cruz. She has two projects in the competition and I honestly think she’s stronger than Colman and even Stewart (presuming Cruz movies are good). Not to mention, Almodovar is really good at getting his Actors wins at Film Festivals. Regarding Colman, they’ve only reawrded the same actress for the Volpi three times and they had huge gap between their wins (Huppert only had a 7 year gap but her second win was shared with her co-star), so I don’t see Olivia winning again this early. Kristen could pull it off but Portman losing the Volpi for Jackie gives me pause.

Yeah I think this is Penelope Cruz’s to lose. The trailers for both her films look awesome, but more than that she’s never won before which is nuts because she’s won every other European award there is (1 Cannes, 1 Honorary Cesar, 1 Donatello, 1 European Film Award, 3 Goyas). Yeah it’s hard to imagine her losing, kinda like it’s hard to imagine Toni Servillo losing. There’s a chance that the better film will get an award higher than the Jury Prize and Venice doesn’t favor people with multiple films THAT much. In that case, Dunst or Gainsbourg I think are the next best bets.

Stewart could take it but if Portman couldn’t…yeah, I dunno. Maybe, who knows.

It also helps all 4 of them (but Cruz the most) that they all have won a European film fest award before so they have cred here.

FYC:

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    musterd
    Topics:

Interesting never knew that! Colman could easily share the prize with Buckley (who plays the younger version of her character) and Johnson. But IA I think Cruz is in pole position here with 2 films (similar to Kirby last year), one of which is opening the ceremony.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    estrelas
    Topics:

Interesting never knew that! Colman could easily share the prize with Buckley (who plays the younger version of her character) and Johnson. But IA I think Cruz is in pole position here with 2 films (similar to Kirby last year), one of which is opening the ceremony.

It’s not possible anymore. They changed the rules, so now only one can win. I think the year Joaquin and Philip won for The Master was the last year they allowed joint wins for the Volpi.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    George Ehret
    Topics:

Until there is reason to predict otherwise, I think Stewart will win Volpi. Part of why Portman may have lost here is Jackie Kennedy was not a very well-known figure in Europe, whereas Princess Diana is. The biggest hurdle is just pulling off the performance. I don’t doubt that the movie will get good reviews, but if Kristen fully delivers, I have no reason to doubt her for a Volpi win.

FYC
    Best Picture: The Worst Person in the World
    Best Director: Jane Campion
    Best Actor: Benedict Cumberbatch
    Best Actress: Renate Reinsve
    Best Supporting Actor: Benedict Wong
    Best Supporting Actress: Kirsten Dunst
    Best Adapted Screenplay: The Power of the Dog
    Best Original Screenplay: The Worst Person in the World

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Gwen
    Topics:

Until there is reason to predict otherwise, I think Stewart will win Volpi. Part of why Portman may have lost here is Jackie Kennedy was not a very well-known figure in Europe, whereas Princess Diana is. The biggest hurdle is just pulling off the performance. I don’t doubt that the movie will get good reviews, but if Kristen fully delivers, I have no reason to doubt her for a Volpi win.

I think it’s between Stewart and Cruz, while the Volpi for Best Actor is between Cumberbatch, Elio Germano and Toni Servillo. Seems like an exciting race!

2022 Award Season, FYC:

Best Actress: JODIE COMER
    Best Actor: BENEDICT CUMBERBATCH
    Best Supporting Actress: ANN DOWD, TONI COLLETTE
    Best Supporting Actor: WILLEM DAFOE, RICHARD JENKINS

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    musterd
    Topics:

It’s not possible anymore. They changed the rules, so now only one can win. I think the year Joaquin and Philip won for The Master was the last year they allowed joint wins for the Volpi.

Ah I see thanks!

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    kaziz
    Topics:

Folks, neither Cruz nor Gainsbourg (two of the most awarded European actresses) have ever won the Volpi. Cruz looks the most solid to me, but Gainsbourg too.

FYC:

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Ryusei
    Topics:

Part of why Portman may have lost here is Jackie Kennedy was not a very well-known figure in Europe

I’m talking from own experience but i don’t know anyone who wouldn’t know at least Jackie’s name.

FYC: Lead Actress - Alana Haim (Licorice Pizza)

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    CuriousHedgehog
    Topics:

I’m talking from own experience but i don’t know anyone who wouldn’t know at least Jackie’s name.

As a Canadian, I didn’t know who Jackie Kennedy was before Jackie honestly. Diana is MUCH more known worldwide than Jackie IMO.

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 500 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.