Home Forums Movies Very Early 2022 Oscar Predictions (Part 10)

Very Early 2022 Oscar Predictions (Part 10)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 546 total)
Created
1 month ago
Last Reply
3 weeks ago
replies
views
users
kaziz
wolfali
fefface
  • Profile picture
    Chris Beachum
    Topics:

Part 10 is now open.

Profile picture
    JV
    Topics:

The only movies in 40 years to win Best Picture without acting nominations

The Last Emperor (1987): Directed by the r*pist Bernardo Bertolucci, it won all the Oscars it was nominated for.

Bravehart (1995): Crowdpleasing blockbuster.

The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King (2002): 11 Oscars.

Slumdog Millionaire (2007): Dev Patel made SAG and BAFTA. He was snubbed because 1) the academy is racist. 2) The academy didn’t know which category to vote for, since he was Supporting at SAG and Lead at BAFTA.

Parasite (2019): It’s Parasite, bitch.

So The French Dispatch is probably not winning Best Picture, unless it gets an acting nomination (Brody has a meaty role, but I don’t think he will have much time and at the end of the day it’s an ensemble work) or it’s a crowdpleasing accessible film (It’s a Wes Anderson, it will be weird).

Profile picture
    MysticMagix
    Topics:

I feel like the winner of best actress won’t be nominated for best pic next year

A little bit of Magic never hurt anybody.

~ MYSTIC

Profile picture
    boogiezen
    Topics:

The Northman tidbit. Test screening?

https://twitter.com/Matt_Mazur/status/1392856269581660166?s=19

Profile picture
    someperson1991
    Topics:

I feel like the one thing that will hurt The French Dispatch more than anything is that unless I’m mistaken it’s an anthology film.

Also, if I may respond to Croman from the previous thread: I was unaware Merediz was a thing currently. I wasn’t planning on predicting In the Heights for anything, but early word seems good and it might get a lot of goodwill by being the first big movie to open “out” of the pandemic. But more than anything it’s May and this is just my “sure, why not?” pick.

Profile picture
    walkinuniverse
    Topics:

Any news/updates on Next Goal Wins?

Profile picture
    gorman
    Topics:

So The French Dispatch is probably not winning Best Picture, unless it gets an acting nomination (Brody has a meaty role, but I don’t think he will have much time and at the end of the day it’s an ensemble work) or it’s a crowdpleasing accessible film (It’s a Wes Anderson, it will be weird).

Wes Anderson films are very crowd-pleasing and accessible. He has a massive following and is one of the most beloved and widely recognised active directors. The Academy has nominated him 7 times in the past, and The Grand Budapest Hotel received 9 noms and won 4 of them. His last three films average an 8 on IMDb, with a combined $305mil at the box office. Only the most crowd-pleasing and accessible directors get those kind of numbers. It could also get an acting nom, or do really well elsewhere and become one of the outliers. Not predicting it to win, but I wouldn’t rule it out of a win especially when recent years have been busting precedents at quite a rate.

Profile picture
    Coltrane
    Topics:

Been a really long time since I’ve been on GD. It’s an exciting year!

BEST PICTURE
    1. The Power of the Dog
    2. Nightmare Alley
    3. Last Night in SoHo
    4. The French Dispatch
    5. Passing
    6. The Hand of God
    7. Coda
    8. Blue Bayou
    9. The Card Counter
    10. House of Gucci

BEST DIRECTOR
    1. Wes Anderson, The French Dispatch
    2. Jane Campion, The Power of the Dog
    3. Guillermo Del Toro, Nightmare Alley
    4. Rebecca Hall, Passing
    5. Edgar Wright, Last Night in SoHo

BEST LEAD ACTOR
    1. Denzel Washington, The Tragedy of Macbeth
    2. Benedict Cumberbatch, The Power of the Dog
    3. Adam Driver, House of Gucci
    4. Michael B. Jordan, A Journal for Jordan
    5. Oscar Isaac, The Card Counter

BEST LEAD ACTRESS
    1. Kirsten Dunst, The Power of the Dog
    2. Jennifer Hudson, Respect
    3. Emilia Jones, Coda
    4. Cate Blanchett, Nightmare Alley
    5. Lady Gaga, House of Gucci

BEST SUPPORTING ACTOR
    1. Willem Dafoe, The Card Counter
    2. Richard Jenkins, Nightmare Alley
    3. Kodi Smit-McPhee, The Power of the Dog
    4. Jesse Plemons, The Power of the Dog
    5. Bradley Cooper, Soggy Bottom

BEST SUPPORTING ACTRESS
    1. Ann Dowd, Mass
    2. Ruth Negga, Passing
    3. Anya Taylor-Joy, Last Night in SoHo
    4. Jodie Comer, The Last Duel
    5. Toni Collette, Nightmare Alley

Profile picture
    kaziz
    Topics:

Really think people are underrating films like Three Thousand Years of Longing, Hand of God, The Card Counter, The Lost Daughter. The Blue Bayou hype has taken me by surprise, I’m rooting for it. And if everyone’s talking about Last Night in SoHo this early………….let’s just say it’s got the hype and there’s really no reason to think it’ll be like Hillbilly Elegy. Baby Driver basically showed that Edgar Wright has the chops to make a blockbuster film—but no one was under any illusion that an action film would make it to the Oscars. This is not an action film, so of course we should take it seriously.

Why on earth would anyone not take Olivia Colman super seriously in an adaptation like THE LOST DAUGHTER?! It is beyond me. She literally cannot disappoint, it’s still between her & Dunst for me.

The Harder They Fall—dunno what to do with this one—it’s a drama Western which is…maybe strange, but it got a cast like that! And by that I don’t just mean a stacked cast (many films have that) I mean that Regina King & LaKeith Stanfield rarely make fluff films, they generally gravitate towards important films with something to say. I dunno.

People keep saying Annette is too weird, but wtf does that mean?!? Seriously, this whole “not Oscars material” thing is kind of ridiculous—what is Oscars material? Parasite?! The Favourite? JOKER?! I think Annette has a strong chance to be the right kind of weird. And it has Driver & Cotillard. That’s one helluva duo!

Still a huge Tragedy of Macbeth, Blonde, Spencer, and House of Gucci skeptic.

The musicals…I think they have the power for at least one acting nom. Whether it’s DeBose or Ramos I don’t know.

Profile picture
    JV
    Topics:

Wes Anderson films are very crowd-pleasing and accessible. He has a massive following and is one of the most beloved and widely recognised active directors. The Academy has nominated him 7 times in the past, and The Grand Budapest Hotel received 9 noms and won 4 of them. His last three films average an 8 on IMDb, with a combined $305mil at the box office. Only the most crowd-pleasing and accessible directors get those kind of numbers. It could also get an acting nom, or do really well elsewhere and become one of the outliers. Not predicting it to win, but I wouldn’t rule it out of a win especially when recent years have been busting precedents at quite a rate.

I was talking about Braveheart or Lord of the Rings level of crowdpleasing, but I get your point and you’re right.

Profile picture
    kaziz
    Topics:

Wes Anderson is probably the only director on this year’s slate who has both a cult following and is remarkably consistent in the reception of his films. After finally hitting big at Oscars for The Grand Budapest Hotel, it does seems like The French Dispatch is super well-placed.

…Except, that it’s a pastiche of stories. If I understand it correctly it’s kind of like an anthology inside a film. It’s not quality that worries me—I think I’ll love it!—it’s structure. Also, it has a WAY bigger cast than even his usual-huge-casts. It’s not an ensemble, it’s a giant-ass machine. I can’t think of any film like that, so I guess I just wonder: will it hold together as a story? Yes, I think if anyone can win BP without acting noms, it’s Wes Anderson but I can’t tell if it’s hitting one big theme like Parasite did for example. So…I dunno.

Profile picture
    kaziz
    Topics:

A lot of people on Twitter (not here as much but sometimes) seem to be mistaking The Power of the Dog for the book of the same name by Don Winslow which is a crime thriller, and ruling it out on that basis lol. So just to be clear: Campion is adapting Thomas Savage’s book The Power of the Dog which has a LOT of critical acclaim in literary circles especially in retrospect.

Profile picture
    kaziz
    Topics:

For those interested in Kirsten Dunst news: Kinda/sorta Dunst news, but somebody basically confirmed to me that Thomasin McKenzie’s role is not small but any means, and that because of script changes and the fact that McKenzie needed to be filming at the same time as Dunst amid lockdown, Dunst arrives at Phil & George’s (Cumberbatch & Plemons’) ranch with McKenzie’s character instead of just with her son (Smit-McPhee). Apparently the biggest challenge (which makes total sense to me) was how to make Dunst and Cumberbatch’s relationship less internal than it is in the book. Which makes total sense to me because the book is pretty internal.

All to say: sounds a lot like Dunst has a beefed-up role & McKenzie will be in play in supporting.

I feel like that’s all we’ll get for a while lol because both Jane Campion and Kirsten Dunst love shrouding their entire shebangs in complete mystery (that’s why we have no footage in the Netflix trailer I think). Dunno if it’s going to Cannes or not (but why would it?)

Profile picture
    Croman
    Topics:

A lot of people on Twitter (not here as much but sometimes) seem to be mistaking The Power of the Dog for the book of the same name by Don Winslow which is a crime thriller, and ruling it out on that basis lol. So just to be clear: Campion is adapting Thomas Savage’s book The Power of the Dog which has a LOT of critical acclaim in literary circles especially in retrospect.

I feel pundits are really underestimating it in general and going for “obvious” stuff like House of Gucci and West Side Story. I have it winning Picture, Director, and Lead Actor until proven otherwise. I don’t buy Denzel winning a third for an unconventional Macbeth adaptation.

Profile picture
    Vicki Leekx
    Topics:

The Woman in the Window debuts at 29% RT, Adams might not escape the Razzies this time…

FYC:

Virginie Efira, Charlotte Rampling, Lambert Wilson, Benedetta (Actress, Supporting Actress, Supporting Actor)

Jim Broadbent, Helen Mirren, The Duke (Actor, Supporting Actress)

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 546 total)

The topic ‘Very Early 2022 Oscar Predictions (Part 10)’ is closed to new replies.