Home Forums Movies Very Early 2022 Oscar Predictions (Part 10)

Very Early 2022 Oscar Predictions (Part 10)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 196 through 210 (of 546 total)
Created
1 month ago
Last Reply
3 weeks ago
replies
views
users
kaziz
wolfali
fefface
  • Profile picture
    fefface
    Topics:

Best Leading Actor: 01 – Adam Driver – THE LAST DUEL 02 – Benedict Cumberbatch – THE ELECTRIC LIFE OF LOUIS WAIN 03 – Michael B. Jordan – A JOURNAL FOR JORDAN 04 – Brendan Fraser – THE WHALE 05 – Clifton Collins Jr. – JOCKEY

A Journal for Jordan sounds so overly sentimental – not my thing at all.

Driver is not Lead in The Last Duel, Matt Damon is.

The Whale could be a great comeback for Brendan Fraser but it does sound like a very small film. Also there’s an element of it I’m not sure will go down well.

Profile picture
    schmids
    Topics:

Given the amount of movies that MGM/UA are releasing I think they will score at least one in the BP list. I absolutely can see “House of Gucci” being the one but, since I’m picking “The Last Duel” from Fox, I’ll go with PTA now. BTW I’m reading the Gucci book and so far it’s been a blast.  

I’ve also read House of Gucci and really enjoyed it. Some of the stuff that family did was wild, can’t wait to see it on screen.

Profile picture
    boogiezen
    Topics:

They may be making the wrong call, but right now the only info we have is that they’ve seen the movie and have chosen it as their main Oscar play. For all we know Branagh actually nailed it. Soho is definitely more of a crowd-backed movie: it’ll need to kill at the box office and get popular support if it’s going to be an Oscar player, they probably don’t want to risk making a campaign for a movie that won’t happen so they’ll wait and see if they can shift gears if Soho takes off.

The problem with a movie depending on a Box Office aside from the critics reactions are sooo hard. It is like climbing a Mt. Everest for Last Night in Soho to even have a chance. That’s because of the film’s premise, a psychological thriller/horror is not an Oscar friendly.

Profile picture
    LA26
    Topics:

I’m currently reading The Last Duel and enjoying it so far. Jager-the author-writes in an engaging way and does a great job at providing information about the way life was back then, as well as context for the rivalry between Carrouges and Le Gris. I haven’t finished it (currently at part 2 of the book, which takes place after the parliament of Paris gives the order for the duel to take place), but I think I understand what Dariusz meant when he talked about the structure of different points of views in the film. If the film is faithful to the book, Comer could have some great scenes.

Profile picture
    schmids
    Topics:

If the film is faithful to the book, Comer could have some great scenes.

I’ve been saying this for a while but I’m going to keep saying it – Comer will go Lead.

Profile picture
    Rowan
    Topics:

The problem with a movie depending on a Box Office aside from the critics reactions are sooo hard. It is like climbing a Mt. Everest for Last Night in Soho to even have a chance. That’s because of the film’s premise, a psychological thriller/horror is not an Oscar friendly.

Exactly. It’s the same thing Get Out had to do a few years ago, and Get Out had an even worse release date. It’s been done, it’s just unlikely.

Profile picture
    HaimOnRye
    Topics:

Same with Don’t Worry Darling, I hope it is not the case that these two movies cancel each other out because I am looking forward to both for different reasons. I cannot help but see them as competition to each other, horror/thrillers with retro vibes. Maybe it’s the fact that I know so little about LNS’ plot.. do we have any more comprehensive storyline other than what is on imdb? I am also wondering if DWD is in the competition for make-up/costumes, since Arianne Phillips has a good background.

Profile picture
    Arman Saxena
    Topics:

Below-the-line Predictions for May

BEST PRODUCTION DESIGN
    Nightmare Alley

Dune

The French Dispatch

House of Gucci

Being the Ricardos

Could Jump In: West Side Story, Soggy Bottom, Eternals, In the Heights, The Last Duel, Don’t Worry Darling, Belfast

BEST CINEMATOGRAPHY
    Dune

Nightmare Alley

The Power of the Dog

West Side Story

The Tragedy of Macbeth

Could Jump In: House of Gucci, The French Dispatch, Canterbury Glass, Soggy Bottom, Eternals, Passing, Three Thousand Years of Longing

BEST COSTUME DESIGN
    House of Gucci

Cyrano

Cruella

Don’t Worry Darling

Dune

Could Jump In: West Side Story, Last Night in Soho, The French Dispatch, Spencer, Nightmare Alley, Soggy Bottom, Blonde, The Last Duel

BEST FILM EDITING
    Don’t Look Up

Dune

House of Gucci

West Side Story

Last Night in Soho

Could Jump In: Being the Ricardos, Soggy Bottom, Eternals, Nightmare Alley, The French Dispatch, Canterbury Glass, The Power of the Dog

BEST MAKEUP AND HAIRSTYLING
    Eternals

The Suicide Squad

Cyrano

Being the Ricardos

House of Gucci

Could Jump In: The French Dispatch, Last Night in Soho, Dune, Old, Blonde, Nightmare Alley, The Whale

BEST SOUND
    Dune

Eternals

Top Gun: Maverick

West Side Story

A Quiet Place: Part II

Could Jump In: In the Heights, No Time to Die, Tick, Tick…Boom, Respect, Nightmare Alley, Don’t Look Up, Spider-Man: No Way Home

BEST VISUAL EFFECTS
    Dune

Eternals

The Suicide Squad

Spider-Man: No Way Home

The Matrix 4

Could Jump In: BIOS, The Tomorrow War, Black Widow, Shang Chi: The Legend of the Ten Rings, Top Gun: Maverick, No Time to Die, A Quiet Place: Part II

BEST ORIGINAL SCORE
    The Power of the Dog – Jonny Greenwood

Dune – Hans Zimmer

Nightmare Alley – Alexandre Desplat

The French Dispatch – Alexandre Desplat

Don’t Look Up – Nicholas Britell

Could Jump In: Eternals – Ramin Djawadi, The Tragedy of Macbeth – Carter Burwell, Spencer – Jonny Greenwood, Canterbury Glass – Hildur Guonadottir, Zola – Mica Levi, Luca – Dan Romer, No Time to Die – Hans Zimmer

BEST ORIGINAL SONG
    No Time to Die

Encanto

Dear Evan Hansen

Tick, Tick…Boom

Defying Gravity

Could Jump In: Top Gun: Maverick, Cruella, Annette, Cyrano, Vivo, House of Gucci, Everybody’s Talking About Jamie

Profile picture
    crabbie
    Topics:

If the film is faithful to the book, Comer could have some great scenes.

I have Comer winning in supporting for this. It’s most likely to be the most sympathetic character that gets nominated and its baity as hell. Her win would be reminiscent of European ingenue (Alicia Vikander) winning and I really see it happening especially after her Emmy win.

Michelle Williams Oscar campaign manager.

Profile picture
    fefface
    Topics:

I have Comer winning in supporting for this. It’s most likely to be the most sympathetic character that gets nominated and its baity as hell. Her win would be reminiscent of European ingenue (Alicia Vikander) winning and I really see it happening especially after her Emmy win.

I’m with schmids. They’re not going to make a movie with this subject matter and have the lead female character go Supporting while one of the men goes Lead. Either all three go Supporting as co-leads or its Comer and Damon in Lead and Driver in Supporting.

Profile picture
    crabbie
    Topics:

I’m with schmids. They’re not going to make a movie with this subject matter and have the lead female character go Supporting while one of the men goes Lead. Either all three go Supporting as co-leads or its Comer and Damon in Lead and Driver in Supporting.

I agree with you yeah but I still think the studio could category fraud Comer in supporting to have a higher chance of winning. Lead actress being more competitive might make Comer’s win less attainable.

Profile picture
    fefface
    Topics:

I agree with you yeah but I still think the studio could category fraud Comer in supporting to have a higher chance of winning. Lead actress being more competitive might make Comer’s win less attainable.

That’s true, but I think the studio would be aware of the optics of putting Damon in Lead and Comer Supporting and will campaign her Lead regardless. Either that or as I say, they get around the situation by campaigning all three leads in Supporting.

All that said Damon isn’t getting nominated regardless and Driver will have to be undeniable to overcome the nature of his character. Comer will be the acting play for this one for sure. Plus the plot synopsis that came out around the time of the test screening seemed to zero in on her character.

Profile picture
    crabbie
    Topics:

All that said Damon isn’t getting nominated regardless and Driver will have to be undeniable to overcome the nature of his character.

Why is that? Im not quite familiar with the book but from the synopsis it seemed like their roles would be meaty. Do you think Gucci will be Driver’s player this year?

Profile picture
    fefface
    Topics:

Why is that? Im not quite familiar with the book but from the synopsis it seemed like their roles would be meaty. Do you think Gucci will be Driver’s player this year?

I don’t know, just can’t see this being Damon’s Oscar comeback. And it’s not that Driver’s role isn’t meaty that gives me pause, it certainly is, it’s the nature of his character’s villainy.

As for what will be his best shot this year, I would like for it to be Annette as it feels like the kind of project an actor like Driver should win for. But actors in musicals never win, and actors in original musicals even more rarely, plus its going to be weird as hell so yes probably Gucci.

Profile picture
    crabbie
    Topics:

I don’t know, just can’t see this being Damon’s Oscar comeback. And it’s not that Driver’s role isn’t meaty that gives me pause, it certainly is, it’s the nature of his character’s villainy.

Damon got that ridiculous nomination for The Martian so you never know. Driver’s character will be loathed by everyone and I don’t think the villainous nature of his character will be a barrier. Fassbender played a slave owner rapist and was nominated.

Viewing 15 posts - 196 through 210 (of 546 total)

The topic ‘Very Early 2022 Oscar Predictions (Part 10)’ is closed to new replies.