Home Forums Movies Very Early 2022 Oscar Predictions (Part 10)

Very Early 2022 Oscar Predictions (Part 10)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 241 through 255 (of 546 total)
Created
1 month ago
Last Reply
3 weeks ago
replies
views
users
kaziz
wolfali
fefface
  • Profile picture
    kaziz
    Topics:

Exactly. It’s like saying Scarlett Johansson won’t get in for Marriage Story because the Academy never cared about her in the past. If Power of the Dog gets strong reviews at its Venice premiere, Dunst is happening everywhere along with Cumberbatch and it will be a long overdue nomination like Johansson.

Exactly. I mean yes of course Dunst has gotten unlucky in that many many deserving performances of hers have gone unnoticed but that isn’t indicative of some animus towards her: quite often, people in BP films tend to get nominated! No coincidence that Johansson got her two in her first BP films after Lost in Translation and when it did it there was definitely an “overdue” narrative alongside it.

Almost all of Amy Adams’ noms are coattails. Literally everyone from Olivia Colman to Frances McDormand were there because they…got great parts in great BP films. It’s not as if there was some huge campaign for Colman or that people even knew her all that much when she won. The BP thing literally happens every year lol. And for the Andra Days of the year, I’d argue that it’s because…a narrative forms and they kinda do get lucky while many other performances get overlooked, but it’s not as if the industry just cares about Andra Day sooooo much. Dunst has been super unlucky, but mostly it’s that she hasn’t been in any BP films except Hidden Figures.

Profile picture
    Miguel Alves
    Topics:

Dune will release in HBO Max and Theaters after all. Shame

Profile picture
    gorman
    Topics:

I feel like big movies especially will suffer if they release in this way, awards wise. When voters don’t have the option of initially seeing the movie anywhere but cinemas for the first few weeks/ months, you’re basically assuring that a large pool of voters will have seen your film on the big screen. I imagine Dune will be good however it’s viewed, but it will be a fair bit better in theatres because the spectacle is diminished at home/ on laptops.

You also want to appear like you’re supporting cinemas, which this doesn’t really do. I’d bet a substantial number of voters will look at that unfavourably. I think even Villeneuve himself has opposed this mode of release quite passionately.

Profile picture
    ameliamignonette
    Topics:

Where do we stand with Swan Song? Is Apple releasing it this year? If so, is it a serious contender? Maybe Mahershala and Glenn…

Profile picture
    alittle03
    Topics:

https://twitter.com/thefilmupdates/status/1394670113547239426?s=21

First trailer of Dear Evan Hansen.

Profile picture
    SN
    Topics:

Warner wouldn’t confirm Variety and Deadline reports. I wouldn’t be so sure about that.

Profile picture
    storminthedark
    Topics:

Trailer for Dear Evan Hansen is out.

It doesn’t look like Oscar fare to me, I don’t see it getting acting nominations with WSS and ITH also competing this year.

Profile picture
    TheDreamingHead
    Topics:

Where do we stand with Swan Song? Is Apple releasing it this year? If so, is it a serious contender? Maybe Mahershala and Glenn…

Both Mahershala and Glenn are in pundits’ top 10 so I guess it’s a pretty formidable contender

Profile picture
    Miguel Alves
    Topics:

Warner wouldn’t confirm Variety and Deadline reports. I wouldn’t be so sure about that.

They never confirmed. They are denying the Deadline report saying Dune would be theaters only. A WarnerMedia person just confirmed Dune will release at the same time in HBO Max and Theaters.

https://twitter.com/jfuentes/status/1394441348917301251?s=19

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Trailer for Dear Evan Hansen is out.

FYC Emmys: "The Crown" in all categories, "I May Destroy You" in all categories, "It's a Sin" in all categories, "Small Axe" in all categories, Billie Piper ("I Hate Suzie"), Yvonne Strahovski ("Stateless") and Ruth Wilson ("His Dark Materials")

Profile picture
    puck05
    Topics:

I actually liked Dear Evan Hansen’s trailer. It looks better than West Side Story’s teaser and has a much better relase date than In the Heights.

Profile picture
    Melvinezq
    Topics:

Award-wise, perhaps. However, it’s going to be a commercial player, and that makes me quite curious about its award chance. The role is one of the modern classic, can be put alongside Celie in The Color Purple or the whole Hamilton cast. The trailer really points out that fact.

Profile picture
    schmids
    Topics:

Ben Platt looks like he’s wearing a mask, what is that makeup???

Profile picture
    Sir Pierce
    Topics:

I would like a Mahershala Ali nomination, as I think he has the potential to be the next kind of great actor sort of thing.

A very annoying young man, who loves cinema. 🙂

Twitter: https://twitter.com/pierce_sir
    Letterboxd: https://letterboxd.com/11higuys/

Profile picture
    Davie
    Topics:

I will die on the hill that they should have cast Andrew Barth Feldman as Evan. He was 16 when he took over the role full time on Broadway and got rave reviews. He also only turned 19 a couple of days ago so he would have been the perfect age. I understand why they wanted a stage actor to play Evan in the movie considering the fact that it is one of the most vocally taxing roles on Broadway (Evan sings in like 14/15 songs or something) but the obvious choice was right there and they passed it up. I’m sure Ben Platt will be great in terms of acting, but he looks too old.

Viewing 15 posts - 241 through 255 (of 546 total)

The topic ‘Very Early 2022 Oscar Predictions (Part 10)’ is closed to new replies.