Home Forums Movies Very Early 2022 Oscar Predictions (Part 10)

Very Early 2022 Oscar Predictions (Part 10)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 546 total)
Created
1 month ago
Last Reply
3 weeks ago
replies
views
users
kaziz
wolfali
fefface
  • Profile picture
    Arman Saxena
    Topics:

If Dune gets good ratings, hitting a major fall festival definitely seems like it could be beneficial.

Profile picture
    loudtoilet
    Topics:

WB can try to replicate Joker success but Joker was poised to dominate October boxoffice which Dune isn’t. Venice win is a fine thing but if Joker wasn’t too big to ignore (first R rated movie to cross 1B and it did it w/o China and 3D) fat chance it would have gotten so many above the line nominations. Phoenix would still win, though.

Dune has a terrible release date. Bond shadow is nothing to scoff at. However, it’s also sci fi and between sci fi, fantasy, superhero, horror, sci fi gets nominated in more regular intervals  (Avatar, District 9, Inception, Gravity, Arrival, The Martian, Fury Road). It never won, though, and Dune is also just Part 1. We’ll see. I think it will make Top 10.

Profile picture
    LA26
    Topics:

Could Netflix titles like Blonde and Don’t Look Up premiere at Venice? Variety recently reported that The Power of the Dog might premiere at Cannes.

Profile picture
    fefface
    Topics:

Could Netflix titles like Blonde and Don’t Look Up premiere at Venice? Variety recently reported that The Power of the Dog might premiere at Cannes.

I doubt The Power of the Dog goes to Cannes. Why would Campion want to premiere it out of competition at a festival where she already has the top prize when it can go to Venice and compete for the Golden Lion?

Profile picture
    AegonsnowVI
    Topics:

Discussingfilm said his source him that Dune has a lot of mainstream flavor compared to usual Denis movies so it could actually do well at the box office. All it needs is good promotions

Profile picture
    Igor Alves
    Topics:

It’s not the first time sources say The Power of The Dog is in talks for Cannes, it seems consistent and it’s coming from more than one source, so at this point it’s very likely to happen.

I agree about Blonde and/or Don’t Look Up for Venice, they are basically the only options from Netflix.

Profile picture
    vinichelsea
    Topics:

I think there’s no way the backlash will harm that film because we all have that abusive boss, and they are still in that managing/directing spot at our office. That’s not just a problem of entertainment industry, but it’s everywhere, and it’ll be very hypocritical for people to kindle the backlash while doing nothing to their own work environment. When we talk about Coen brothers, there’s a high probability that they know that, but I guess they don’t have balls to criticise that.

Imagine if the brother of the guy that killed himself could read this.

Profile picture
    vinichelsea
    Topics:

I feel like I’ve had to say more than five times that “The Power of the Dog” is going to Venice!!!!

Profile picture
    fefface
    Topics:

It’s not the first time sources say The Power of The Dog is in talks for Cannes, it seems consistent and it’s coming from more than one source, so at this point it’s very likely to happen.

It’s never been said by an official source, only speculated.

Profile picture
    Igor Alves
    Topics:

It’s never been said by an official source, only speculated.

Variety is pretty reliable. Obviously nothing set in the stone, but if multiple sources are saying The Power of The Dog is in talks for Cannes then it probably is.

Profile picture
    fefface
    Topics:

Variety is pretty reliable. Obviously nothing set in the stone, but if multiple sources are saying The Power of The Dog is in talks for Cannes then it probably is.

As far as I am aware Variety have also confirmed that it has been invited to Venice. Whether or not it goes is of course up for grabs but it feels more concrete than Cannes IMO.

Profile picture
    vinichelsea
    Topics:

Is there another source other than that publication from April? Because there it said that “Both “The Power of The Dog” and “The Card Counter” have been invited to Venice, but are first waiting to see if Cannes pulls off the festival amid the pandemic, Variety has learned.”

https://variety.com/2021/film/news/cannes-2021-films-official-selection-lineup-predictions-1234958648/

If that’s the case, unless both Netflix and Focus are coordinating stupidity together, there is no way a deal was made since the article was released on April, 23 and submissions for Cannes ended on April, 26.

If hiding your movie is in a festival is a new marketing strategy I don’t know, but to me that translates as both movies declined Cannes and stuck to Venice.

Profile picture
    Igor Alves
    Topics:

As far as I am aware Variety have confirmed that it has been invited to Venice, and any Cannes speculation is just a ‘possibility’. But if you’ve seen something more concrete please do point me in that direction.

Variety first said back in April it was invited to Venice (as well as The Card Counter) but both waiting to see if Cannes would still happen so they could go there instead, now they are saying it is being considered to play OOC. French trade parismatch also said two weeks ago it’s in the mix for Cannes, and in their report they said Dune was skipping Cannes and heading to Venice which is confirmed now by american trades so their sources are obviously reliable.

All this talk surrounding The Power of The Dog for Cannes is consistent and coming from more than one source, so it’s hard to deny it’s a strong possibility.

Profile picture
    fefface
    Topics:

Variety first said back in April it was invited to Venice (as well as The Card Counter) but both waiting to see if Cannes would still happen so they could go there instead, now they are saying it is being considered to open the festival.

To open Cannes? Cannes opener was announced weeks ago.

Profile picture
    Igor Alves
    Topics:

To open Cannes? Cannes opener was announced weeks ago.

Sorry, I miswrote it. They just meant play out of competition, but the rest I said still stands.

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 546 total)

The topic ‘Very Early 2022 Oscar Predictions (Part 10)’ is closed to new replies.