Home Forums Movies Very Early 2022 Oscar Predictions (Part 11)

Very Early 2022 Oscar Predictions (Part 11)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 513 total)
Created
2 months ago
Last Reply
2 months ago
( +1 hidden )
replies
views
users
Jajajajjaja
wolfali
schmids
  • Profile picture
    Chris Beachum
    Topics:

Continue in Part 11.

Profile picture
    storminthedark
    Topics:

Last Night in Soho trailer looks visually stunning, I’m hyped for the film. From the trailer it looks a little too horror-y for the Oscars though? I’m not sure. Anya is the It-girl currently and she’ll be very visible at the time of the film’s release.

Profile picture
    Anirudh Arun
    Topics:

Idk about its Oscar chances but I’m just thrilled to watch a movie that looks like it’s going to be a unique experience!

Profile picture
    Fletcher
    Topics:

Amy Manson talks about working on #Spencer: “Kristen Stewart is phenomenal, just had blinkers on, was very in the moment, very present. She really pushed herself places.”

“[Spencer] is definitely nothing like we’ve seen before – it’s nothing like The Crown… It really delves into Princess Diana’s mental state. It’s just really unnerving, how great Kristen Stewart is. She’s brilliant.”

Liv Ullmann's fan account.
    https://letterboxd.com/fletcha/

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

The Last Night in Soho trailer has landed.

Hmm I’m not sure what to make of this film’s chances. It does seem to be one that is more reliant on how it’s received by audiences than anything else so if it does do well box office wise, I do think it’s a possibility (especially with a studio like Focus behind it and that release date). I do think it will land some tech categories and it has a good shot at being this year’s “weird screenplay contender”. And if it gets both of those I do think it could land a Picture nomination. Not sure about anything else as of yet. I don’t have any confidence in McKenzie making it in (unless she ends up being the critical standout of the film). Taylor-Joy maybe. I guess to cut a long story short, it’s too early.

It was particularly striking how they were marketing it as some sort of a cinematic experience. We’ve seen that with a lot of these trailers for these tentpoles (i.e. AnnetteThe EternalsIn the HeightsWest Side Story) so I wonder, even if it’s not Soho, if we’ll see the academy bite into some of these more “escapist” films after a year with an entire lineup of realism and a devastating pandemic.

I also have to say it did surprise me during the earlier parts of the trailer that Edgar Wright’s name was on this. But then the ending of the trailer lmao.

Looking forward to seeing it! Regardless of whether it’s an Oscar contender or not.

FYC: All things The Crown, Hacks and I May Destroy You (and Hannah Waddingham and Julianne Nicholson whilst you're at it)!!

Profile picture
    HaimOnRye
    Topics:

Yeah how would Last Night qualify as a thriller and not horror confuses me

Profile picture
    lolo's
    Topics:

The trailer of Last Night in Soho looks like a lot of fun! Very excited about this

But the Oscars won’t touch this outside of tech categories, and even those seem too competitive right now for this to get in

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

But the Oscars won’t touch this outside of tech categories, and even those seem too competitive right now for this to get in

If it ends up being somewhat acclaimed and a commercial hit then I do think it could be a contender. Especially with the distributor and release date. Maybe not in acting though (although Taylor-Joy will be very visible around the time of release with Canterbury Glass and with her potential Emmy win for The Queen’s Gambit so I do think she’ll be at least in the conversation, even if it’s not for this). I can see it get screenplay + tech noms.

It also does have a stronger pedigree than some psycholo-thrillers/psycho-horrors have had. It has an Oscar nominated screenwriter, Focus Features is distributing it, Film4 produced it and its producers have 11 Oscar nominations between them.

FYC: All things The Crown, Hacks and I May Destroy You (and Hannah Waddingham and Julianne Nicholson whilst you're at it)!!

Profile picture
    Jajajajjaja
    Topics:

Yeah how would Last Night qualify as a thriller and not horror confuses me

Focus clearly playing Searchlight’s card when campaigning Black Swan. They dont promote it as Horror, but its terrifying and disturbing. The difference is Black Swan is all about character study (Obsession with Perfection driving Nina Sayers insane). Not sure on this one.

Regardless. It seems my prediction is accurate that Taylor Joy’s Eloise is sort of Tyler Durden to McKenzie’s character.

Im excited regardless whether they will get Oscars love or not

Profile picture
    boogiezen
    Topics:

Last Night in Soho looks reallyyyy good. BUT like what I said before if they want the movie to be a contender it is essential to receive solid reviews + BO success.

Profile picture
    storminthedark
    Topics:

Might be comparing apples and oranges at this stage since it’s too early to tell from so little, but as mostly period psychological thriller/horror movies, Don’t Worry Darling could potentially be more accessible for the Oscars than Last Night in Soho. It depends on the social commentary and themes in both films, but the trailer for Soho looks a lot more traditionally horror than Black Swan/Get Out/PYW did, which could potentially make it harder to break out of the genre bias. It’s too early to tell what the reception or acclaim will be like for either film though.

Profile picture
    Anirudh Arun
    Topics:

Also, this is giving some serious Mulholland Drive vibes to me.

Profile picture
    LA26
    Topics:

Last Night in SoHo’s first poster: https://mobile.twitter.com/DiscussingFilm/status/1397207756604682246 I really like the trailer, but I do wonder whether the horror elements might not make it a big contender. Thomasin said in a recent interview with Empire magazine that there are a lot of twists in the film.

Profile picture
    LA26
    Topics:

65-the thriller/sci-fi movie starring Adam Driver-will be released on May 13, 2022.

Profile picture
    walkinuniverse
    Topics:

I found Thomasin McKenzie’s facial expressions creepy than the actual horror stuff in the trailer.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 513 total)

The topic ‘Very Early 2022 Oscar Predictions (Part 11)’ is closed to new replies.