Home Forums Movies Very Early 2022 Oscar Predictions (Part 11)

Very Early 2022 Oscar Predictions (Part 11)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 151 through 165 (of 512 total)
Created
4 months ago
Last Reply
4 months ago
( +1 hidden )
replies
views
users
Elsa Korr
wolfali
schmids
  • Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

I wonder how it feels to be Thomasin McKenzie when in your first two “lead” roles in crowd pleasing “prestigey” studio films you’re outshone in buzz by your supporting co-star. First Johansson and now Taylor-Joy lol.

Oscars FYC:
    "Shiva Baby" – in all categories especially Picture, Adapted Screenplay, Score
    "Together" – in all categories especially Actress (Sharon Horgan), Actor (James McAvoy), Original Screenplay
    "CODA" – in all categories especially Supporting Actor (Troy Kotsur)
    "Everybody's Talking About Jamie" – Supporting Actor (Richard E. Grant), Supporting Actress (Sarah Lancashire)
    "I'm Your Man" – International Feature
    "Summer of Soul" – Documentary Feature

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

The French Dispatch confirmed at Cannes.

Coming for the Palme D’or.

Oscars FYC:
    "Together" – in all categories especially Actress (Sharon Horgan), Actor (James McAvoy), Original Screenplay
    "Everybody's Talking About Jamie" – Supporting Actor (Richard E. Grant), Supporting Actress (Sarah Lancashire)

Profile picture
    loudtoilet
    Topics:

Take it with a grain of salt pls. Im saying that bcs Focus describes it as Thriller and someone just posted that Paul Schrader is on the verge in receiving some Backlash that would hurt Card Counter’s chance so that person said that Focus should invest their campaign on Soho.

No wories, grain of salt ingested! This year really put the spotlight on futility of narratives and stanning. If the voters don’t feel the same as stans and narrative pushers, no cigar. So unless I see “AMPAS might want to nominate more popular movies cause ratings were abysmal” actually happen, I’m not gonna hold that kind of thinking as gospel either. Especially this early. Recency bias is one thing but a whole year later and they won’t care about the ceremony debacle.

Regarding Cruella (now 73 on RT and 61 on Metacritic), the overhyped early Twitter reactions made it look like it was one of the best Disney movies in years and that Emma Stone was the best thing ever. Now the actual reviews are revealing it to be what it is, a mediocre mess. Not surprised in the slightest.

Yep. People who see a movie early tend to give it few points above what it deserves because they are excited to be first and because “I saw it (and you didn’t) and it’s awesome (and now you are positively dying)”.  But the big culprit are the critics who post overhype tweets only to submit much more subdued reviews when they cool off during the embargo period. So something that sounded like 5/5 in a tweet ends up 3/5 in a review.

This was yet another unnecessary Disney live action/reimaging. It was never going to be very good for cash grabs rarely are.

Profile picture
    fefface
    Topics:

Grand Prix more likely. Films in English rarely win the Palme.

Profile picture
    SN
    Topics:

Probably not.

Profile picture
    Lucas
    Topics:

Meh. Maybe Best Director

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

The buzz the Last Night in Soho trailer has gotten with writers and directors in Hollywood online is quite big. I think in something like screenplay, all it needs to do is have some form of acclaim to have a shot (obviously in other above the line categories it needs a lot more like being a hit lol).

Oscars FYC:

Profile picture
    pedrohf2001
    Topics:

A over 70% RT score, is still worth my time. And I Love Emma Stone. I dont know where people though this was going to be a Oscars movie.

Its just a fun watch. And Im here for it.

Profile picture
    SN
    Topics:

A over 70% RT score, is still worth my time. And I Love Emma Stone. I dont know where people though this was going to be a Oscars movie.

Its just a fun watch. And Im here for it.

Same here. Saying it’s a flop just because it’s not Oscar level is quite dishonest. It was never going to be such a thing.

Profile picture
    Elsa Korr
    Topics:

I wonder how it feels to be Thomasin McKenzie when in your first two “lead” roles in crowd pleasing “prestigey” studio films you’re outshone in buzz by your supporting co-star. First Johansson and now Taylor-Joy lol.

As far as the acting goes I think she can do more than just hold on her own in Jojo Rabbit (and even better, shine on her own but Johansson was buzzier that year for some reason). Maybe this will also be the case in Soho, where acting wise she can shine on her own but Buzz wise Taylor Joy is Buzzier. It doesnt help that the Lead Category is stacked AF this year. It requires miracle for her to happen as lead for this year, lol.

FYC-Nightmare Alley in All Categories (Best Picture, Guillermo Del Toro for Best Director, Bradley Cooper for Best Actor, Cate Blanchett for Best Actress, Rooney Mara for Best Supporting Actress, Richard Jenkins for Best Supporting Actor)

FYC-Last Night in Soho (Edgar Wright for Best Director, Thomasin McKenzie for Best Actress, Anya Taylor Joy for Best Supporting Actress, Edgar Wright and Krysty Wilson Cairns for Best Original Screenplay)

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Thank you to everyone who has participated in the Gold Derby predictions centre poll! There’s still time left (deadline is Friday) if you haven’t so if you want to take part please DM your predictions.

Oscars FYC:

Profile picture
    pedrohf2001
    Topics:

Thank you to everyone who has participated in the Gold Derby predictions centre poll! There’s still time left (deadline is Friday) if you haven’t so if you want to take part please DM your predictions.

What is going to happen in Friday ?

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

What is going to happen in Friday ?

Well on Friday I will count up the predictions people have sent me and then post the results of this month’s “early predictions centre” on Saturday.

Oscars FYC:

Profile picture
    Coltrane
    Topics:

Well on Friday I will count up the predictions people have sent me and then post the results of this month’s “early predictions centre” on Saturday.

Exciting!!! Just DM’ed you!

Profile picture
    Lucas
    Topics:
Viewing 15 posts - 151 through 165 (of 512 total)

The topic ‘Very Early 2022 Oscar Predictions (Part 11)’ is closed to new replies.