Home Forums Movies Very Early 2022 Oscar Predictions (Part 12)

Very Early 2022 Oscar Predictions (Part 12)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 271 through 285 (of 533 total)
Created
6 months ago
Last Reply
6 months ago
( +5 hidden )
replies
views
users
wolfali
Elsa Korr
schmids
  • Profile picture
    storminthedark
    Topics:

Honestly, Dont Worry Darling getting pushed to Next year is somehow a good move. If its really a contender, its smart to move it to next year since this year it would have had to compete with Last Night in Soho as a fellow period, Psycho-Thriller. But… does this imply that Wilde is slow in Post Production? Booksmart was filmed a year… before gets released.

It is somewhat indicative in the confidence in the film if they’re pushing it for a wider theatrical release next year and have it as one of their main campaigns along with Elvis. Maybe it’ll pull a Get Out and premiere at Sundance for the awards narrative.

This is slightly better for Last Night in Soho in not having to be directly compared to a similar genre film the same year. Don’t Worry Darling’s best chance in a year this stacked seemed to be in Screenplay or Actress, so I’m interested in what will potentially replace it.

Profile picture
    SN
    Topics:

I never expected much from Don’t Worry Darling tbh. Dune or In the Heights will be the WB nominee then. If Dune lives up to the hype and gets positive word of mouth in Venice, I think it’ll be their contender. I’m still not sure about In the Heights.

Profile picture
    loollapalooza1
    Topics:

I never expected much from Don’t Worry Darling tbh. Dune or In the Heights will be the WB nominee then. If Dune lives up to the hype and gets positive word of mouth in Venice, I think it’ll be their contender. I’m still not sure about In the Heights.

I’m not really sure where to place In the Heights. Has anyone watched the first 8 minutes of it that was released earlier?

Profile picture
    Jacob "Oscar Boy" Boe
    Topics:

I’m not really sure where to place In the Heights. Has anyone watched the first 8 minutes of it that was released earlier?

I did, and I was skeptical of how good the film could actually be, as I love the Broadway musical, but I literally almost cried because of how good I thought it was. The singing is… eh. But you don’t really notice it because of the visual aspect.

Oscars FYC:

Dune in Picture, Director, Adapted Screenplay, Score, Sound, Production Design, Cinematography, Makeup and Hairstyling, Costume Design, Film Editing, and Visual Effects

Free Guy in Visual Effects

Profile picture
    SN
    Topics:

I watched the entire movie a while ago. It was very good but I didn’t love it.

Profile picture
    Sir Pierce
    Topics:

The people who chose to go to the theaters during a pandemic are not Promising Young Woman’s demographics whatsoever… Also, trailer for Tammy Faye is coming tomorrow. Time to see if I can keep my Chastain hope alive… https://twitter.com/jes_chastain/status/1402308844517220353?s=21

It’s not particularly hard to see it getting a nomination for Best Actress.

Possible in the Screenplay categories, too – this is the same write as The Big Sick, if I’m correct.

A very annoying young man, who loves cinema. 🙂

Twitter: https://twitter.com/pierce_sir
    Letterboxd: https://letterboxd.com/11higuys/

Profile picture
    Sir Pierce
    Topics:

I don’t. I don’t think it will be that good either. TDK had a staying power, it’s probably the most defining movie of the aughts together with LOTR. I fully expect Batman to be another entertaining superhero movie that makes money but doesn’t have that extra something that makes an awards contender. Plus, 2022 is going to be stacked with superhero movies and given that Feige is actively chasing the Oscar win, something from Thor:Love and Thunder/Doctor Strange:Multiverse of Madness/Black Panther:Wakanda Forever/The Marvels lineup might get serious campaign especially if Eternals doesn’t get a nomination (doubtful win was ever in the cards).

Hm…. I feel like a lot of them flicks are gonna be a bit out there. The reason that Joker, Logan and The Dark Knight got so much traction was due to the more naturalistic approach or a more auteur approach (which is what they are going for with Eternals…). Realistically, it’s hard to believe they’re going to pull another Black Panther – that was very much a cultural moment.

Honestly, I don’t see Thor: Love And Thunder, Doctor Strange or The Marvels being anything other than popcorn films. The only one out of those you’ve mentioned that could make a dent is Black Panther: Wakanda Forever… but, at the end of the day, unless it’s a masterpiece – which I don’t think the original was, honestly – it’ll struggle to get in.

Out of all the films on Marvel’s slate, I’d say that Blade with Mahershala Ali could be a hit, if it goes for a more naturalistic route, which is entirely possible given the edgier origins of the comics. Also, when you hire an actor with the kind of prestige that Mahershala Ali has at the moment (2 Oscar wins!!! + True Detective) I think they’d want to capitalize on his talent a bit.

If they do another Wolverine movie and make it a bit more naturalistic, as well as hiring a leading man who can make something out of the role (Oscar Isaac, maybe??), then I think you could have a hit that has the potential to score an Oscar or two.

The same goes for DC, mostly. THe only films that could be competing are The Batman and the Joker sequel. Arguably, The Suicide Squad might have a feeble shot in Adapted Screenplay, but it’s 99% not gonna happen. However, with the two aforementioned films, I doubt either will score Best Picture. At best, the Joker sequel will get a few craft noms and potentially another Oscar nomination for Joaquin Phoenix (but, certainly, not a win). The Batman’s best chance is Paul Dano, probably. It looks as if he’s going to be in some big projects next year, though, so he could get in for the Spielberg film instead.

A very annoying young man, who loves cinema. 🙂

Twitter: https://twitter.com/pierce_sir
    Letterboxd: https://letterboxd.com/11higuys/

Profile picture
    crabbie
    Topics:

I’m running out of Best Picture filler nominations with all of these films being pushed next year.

Michelle Williams Oscar campaign manager.

FYC:
    Picture: The Power of the Dog, Spencer
    Director: Jane Campion, Pablo Larraín
    Actor: Benedict Cumberbatch
    Actress: Kristen Stewart
    Supporting Actress: Kirsten Dunst, Anya Taylor-Joy, Rebecca Ferguson
    Supporting Actor: Kodi Smit-McPhee
    Best Original Screenplay: Spencer
    Best Adapted Screenplay: The Power of the Dog
    Best Cinematography: The Power of the Dog, Spencer, Last Night in Soho

Profile picture
    LondonLove
    Topics:

Can someone explain to me why they think Don’t Worry Darling is going to be a contender? It’s only Wilde’s second movie and Booksmart was good but not amazing. Same with the cast, besides Florence Pugh the rest aren’t known to be amazing actors. Like we all know Harry Styles got the role because it will attract people to watch the movie, he has barely done any acting before.Not hating just genuinely curious as to why people see it as a contender.

Profile picture
    Elsa Korr
    Topics:

Can someone explain to me why they think Don’t Worry Darling is going to be a contender? It’s only Wilde’s second movie and Booksmart was good but not amazing. Same with the cast, besides Florence Pugh the rest aren’t known to be amazing actors. Like we all know Harry Styles got the role because it will attract people to watch the movie, he has barely done any acting before.Not hating just genuinely curious as to why people see it as a contender.

My Personal opinion is due to the fact that the premise sounds like Get Out but with Women instead of Black and has this sort of Social Commentary

FYC:
    Best Director: Edgar Wright, Guillermo Del Toro, Jane Campion
    Best Picture: Nightmare Alley, The Power of the Dog
    Best Actress: Kristen Stewart, Thomasin McKenzie, Rooney Mara, Tessa Thompson
    Best Actor: Benedict Cumberbatch, Bradley Cooper
    Best S. Actress: Cate Blanchett, Diana Rigg, Anya Taylor Joy
    Best S. Actor: Kodi Smit McPhee, Willem Dafoe, Richard Jenkins

Profile picture
    Topics:
    This post was found to be inappropriate by the moderators and has been removed.
    Profile picture
    Calvin
    Topics:

Honestly the more I think about it – and I’m keeping my expectations in check – the more I am liking Blue Bayou‘s chances in getting some awards traction. I could see it being a kind of Beasts of the Southern Wild of the year if it delivers.

Still celebrating Supporting Actress - Youn Yuh-jung (Minari)

FYC Emmys: The Underground Railroad

Profile picture
    walkinuniverse
    Topics:

Slotting Dune back into my Best Picture predictions again lol

Profile picture
    Kaguya-hime
    Topics:

Honestly the more I think about it – and I’m keeping my expectations in check – the more I am liking Blue Bayou‘s chances in getting some awards traction. I could see it being a kind of Beasts of the Southern Wild of the year if it delivers.

I could see it, but Focus does seem to be prioritizing Belfast for now so it would probably be a secondary push.

Profile picture
    storminthedark
    Topics:

Thank god it’s pushed to 2022 bc I am NOT ready for the discourse surrounding him in this movie. He was fine in Dunkirk but he’s too much of a commercial pop singer for me to take him seriously in acting, especially opposite Pugh. I hope it works but I wouldn’t be surprised if he’s the reason it tanks critically. Of course it will do well commercially bc of his fanbase no matter the quality.

People said similar things about Gaga before ASIB and look how that turned out for her, it’s too early to call the critical reception he might bring imo.

It’s looking more likely to me that Canterbury Glass is going to be pushed until next year unless new information about the film is released very soon. Pushing it another year could help it avoid more criticism and the discourse surrounding DOR given the chatter may die down by that point.

Why are you reporting this post? (optional):
    Not now
Viewing 15 posts - 271 through 285 (of 533 total)

The topic ‘Very Early 2022 Oscar Predictions (Part 12)’ is closed to new replies.