Home Forums Movies Very Early 2022 Oscar Predictions (Part 12)

Very Early 2022 Oscar Predictions (Part 12)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 511 through 525 (of 534 total)
Created
4 months ago
Last Reply
4 months ago
( +5 hidden )
replies
views
users
wolfali
Elsa Korr
schmids
  • Profile picture
    George Ehret
    Topics:

The thing about WSS is, what was the last remake of a movie that originally did really well at the Oscars that also managed to be sucessful? We all saw what happened with Rebecca last year, couldn’t even get a Costume nod. You could say A Star is Born, but none of the previous versions were that awarded (1937 only won Story, 1954 wasn’t even a BP and infamously lost Actress and Song, and 1976 was a critical flop that only won Song). WSS is THE most awarded musical in Oscar history and the comparison between the original and Spielberg’s version will not only be inevitable; if the movie fails even a little bit to live up its predecessor it’ll be buried by “Why was this necessary?” comments. Honestly, I think Annette is the only musical with a shot at above-the-line categories this year.

Little Women I guess? That got like three nominations and won Screenplay, so that’s not really saving all that much. I mean, I admittedly don’t have that much confidence in it myself, I think it’ll go the way of The Irishman and will probably be Mank at best, but with a locked 10 and ranking scale, you just need 4-5 tech nominations to get into Picture

FYC
    Best Picture: The Worst Person in the World
    Best Director: Jane Campion
    Best Actor: Benedict Cumberbatch
    Best Actress: Renate Reinsve
    Best Supporting Actor: Benedict Wong
    Best Supporting Actress: Kirsten Dunst
    Best Adapted Screenplay: The Power of the Dog
    Best Original Screenplay: The Worst Person in the World

Profile picture
    ReddWhite
    Topics:

Little Women I guess? That got like three nominations and won Screenplay, so that’s not really saving all that much. I mean, I admittedly don’t have that much confidence in it myself, I think it’ll go the way of The Irishman and will probably be Mank at best, but with a locked 10 and ranking scale, you just need 4-5 tech nominations to get into Picture

Wow, that one is actually similar to ASIB, one of the versions (1933) was a BP nominee and won Screenplay, another is now a classic but wasn’t a hit with the Academy when it should have an easy win in Actress and Costume (1994) and one was not that well received and only won a tech award (1949, won Production Design).

Emmys FYC: Jean Smart.

Profile picture
    Elsa Korr
    Topics:

I don’t think that script gave her that much to do. Maybe that changed in the final cut of the film (I heard it screened last week), but I don’t even have her in my top 10 until proven otherwise

Its Meryl Streep, they nominated her for Into the Woods. Obviously she has a shot for this.

FYC-Nightmare Alley in All Categories (Best Picture, Guillermo Del Toro for Best Director, Bradley Cooper for Best Actor, Cate Blanchett for Best Actress, Rooney Mara for Best Supporting Actress, Richard Jenkins for Best Supporting Actor)

FYC-Last Night in Soho (Edgar Wright for Best Director, Thomasin McKenzie for Best Actress, Anya Taylor Joy for Best Supporting Actress, Edgar Wright and Krysty Wilson Cairns for Best Original Screenplay)

Profile picture
    SN
    Topics:

The thing about WSS is, what was the last remake of a movie that originally did really well at the Oscars that also managed to be sucessful?

True Grit

Profile picture
    crabbie
    Topics:

It doesn’t matter how small Meryl’s role is in Don’t Look Up, her last nomination was 3 years ago. I’m sure the Academy is willing to welcome her back and it helps Adam McKay is good at getting his actors nominations.

Michelle Williams Oscar campaign manager.

Profile picture
    George Ehret
    Topics:

Its Meryl Streep, they nominated her for Into the Woods. Obviously she has a shot for this.

At least she sang in Into the Woods

It doesn’t matter how small Meryl’s role is in Don’t Look Up, her last nomination was 3 years ago. I’m sure the Academy is willing to welcome her back and it helps Adam McKay is good at getting his actors nominations.

I know that revisions happen, but even then Don’t Look Up doesn’t seem like an Academy-friendly movie. Part of the appeal with McKay’s Oscar films was that they were based on real people and events. There’s something appealing about a bold, wacky retelling of the stock market crash and Dick Cheney (Vice had apparently three nominatable performances, Big Short only had Bale, and it wasn’t one he could win for). DLU is completely fictional and nobody’s playing a real person. That makes me a little skeptical

FYC

Profile picture
    crabbie
    Topics:

Part of the appeal with McKay’s Oscar films was that they were based on real people and events.

I agree with this statement and think Don’t Look Up will not reach the max nominations it can hit. Im quite skeptical of Jlaw and Leo both getting in. That being said Meryl benefits from being a living legend and the Supporting Actress category is home to veteran actress nods for lackluster films. (Bates in Richard Jewell, Close in Hillbilly Elegy). Most likely her underperformances in nominations for films like The Laundromat and Let Them All Talk came from extremely competitive Lead Actress races but the Supporting Actress race is much more fluid and welcoming to veterans in nominations.

Michelle Williams Oscar campaign manager.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Most likely her underperformances in nominations for films like The Laundromat and Let Them All Talk came from extremely competitive Lead Actress races

She didn’t underperform for the former only because of competition…

Oscars FYC:
    "Shiva Baby" – in all categories especially Picture, Adapted Screenplay, Score
    "Together" – in all categories especially Actress (Sharon Horgan), Actor (James McAvoy), Original Screenplay
    "CODA" – in all categories especially Supporting Actor (Troy Kotsur)
    "Everybody's Talking About Jamie" – Supporting Actor (Richard E. Grant), Supporting Actress (Sarah Lancashire)
    "I'm Your Man" – International Feature
    "Summer of Soul" – Documentary Feature

Profile picture
    Lil Tony
    Topics:

Streep was the best in the line up with Into The Woods.

Laga Gaga's BIGGEST FAN

Profile picture
    RIDLEY SCOTT
    Topics:

ITH is DOA. Even the Latin world hated it. And Middle America didn’t care about it

Profile picture
    George Ehret
    Topics:

I agree with this statement and think Don’t Look Up will not reach the max nominations it can hit. Im quite skeptical of Jlaw and Leo both getting in. That being said Meryl benefits from being a living legend and the Supporting Actress category is home to veteran actress nods for lackluster films. (Bates in Richard Jewell, Close in Hillbilly Elegy). Most likely her underperformances in nominations for films like The Laundromat and Let Them All Talk came from extremely competitive Lead Actress races but the Supporting Actress race is much more fluid and welcoming to veterans in nominations.

The category is kinda stacked enough as is tbh, my top 10 is making me tear my damn hair out lmao

FYC

Profile picture
    dee mura
    Topics:

Reading the online reaction for “In the Heights” and considering the numbers, yeah, Warner Bros. won’t push this film for Oscar consideration unless there’s a huge drought of studio contenders (and even then unlikely). Beyond the talk of “box office flop” now it has the motto of colorblind and deep racism from Afro-Latinos and black people and even going for reactions for white Latinos in Miami (Cubans and Colombians) or California (Mexicans), you can see they aren’t interested in the film (or even worse calls). The studio did make a huge mistake not studying the diversity and clear differences about the Latino communities in USA (race, social class, even religion and culture). Well, the fans are hoping to have legs and a good wom to save the film, but cases like “The Greatest Showman” were helped for a broader support to middle America and being released at Christmas season. Don’t be surprised if ITH disappears quickly in few weeks and became another failure for the Latino audience.

John m Chu has this problem with colorism. He probably doesn’t have that intention but Crazy Rich Asians treated non East Asian characters poorly. They’re either the scary guards or maids.

Profile picture
    roger88
    Topics:

John m Chu has this problem with colorism. He probably doesn’t have that intention but Crazy Rich Asians treated non East Asian characters poorly. They’re either the scary guards or maids.

It doesn’t help the casting directors are whiter than milk lol.

And then, Melissa Barrera (who played Vanessa) answer is the most tone deaf of this controversy. Next week will be brutal for the box office after this backlash. If the core audience (Latino audience) hated you, your film is hopeless…

Profile picture
    TheDreamingHead
    Topics:

I agree with this statement and think Don’t Look Up will not reach the max nominations it can hit. Im quite skeptical of Jlaw and Leo both getting in. That being said Meryl benefits from being a living legend and the Supporting Actress category is home to veteran actress nods for lackluster films. (Bates in Richard Jewell, Close in Hillbilly Elegy). Most likely her underperformances in nominations for films like The Laundromat and Let Them All Talk came from extremely competitive Lead Actress races but the Supporting Actress race is much more fluid and welcoming to veterans in nominations.

Close not only has her name, but her never-winning-an-Oscar sentiment and being deemed as the front runner in her category for a whole year. The weak year also benefits her a lot. Can’t say the same about Meryl or this normal year…

Profile picture
    con_man1226
    Topics:

BEST PICTURE

CODA

Don’t Look Up

Dune

Eternals

The French Dispatch

House Of Gucci

In The Heights

Mass

Nightmare Alley

Soggy Bottom

BEST DIRECTOR

Paul Thomas Anderson – Soggy Bottom

John M. Chu – In The Heights

Adam McKay – Don’t Look Up

Ridley Scott – House Of Gucci

Chloe Zhao – Eternals

BEST ACTOR

Leonardo DiCaprio – Don’t Look Up

Adam Driver – House Of Gucci

Jason Isaacs – Mass

Anthony Ramos – In The Heights

Denzel Washington – The Tragedy Of Macbeth

BEST ACTRESS

Ana de Armas – Blonde

Lady Gaga – House Of Gucci

Jennifer Hudson – Respect

Jennifer Lawrence – Don’t Look Up

Amanda Seyfried – A Mouthful Of Air

BEST SUPPORTING ACTOR

Bradley Cooper – Soggy Bottom

Idris Elba – The Harder They Fall

Oscar Isaac – Dune

Al Pacino – House Of Gucci

Jesse Plemons – The Power Of The Dog

BEST SUPPORTING ACTRESS

Ann Dowd – Mass

Marlee Matlin – CODA

Olga Merediz – In The Heights

Julianne Moore – Dear Evan Hansen

Meryl Streep – Don’t Look Up

BEST ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY

Don’t Look Up

The French Dispatch

Mass

Nine Days

Soggy Bottom

BEST ADAPTED SCREENPLAY

Dune

Eternals

House Of Gucci

In The Heights

Nightmare Alley

BEST FILM EDITING

Don’t Look Up

Eternals

House Of Gucci

In The Heights

Soggy Bottom

BEST CINEMATOGRAPHY

Dune

Eternals

The French Dispatch

In The Heights

The Tragedy Of Macbeth

BEST PRODUCTION DESIGN

Cyrano

Dune

Eternals

The French Dispatch

Nightmare Alley

BEST COSTUME DESIGN

Cruella

Cyrano

Eternals

The French Dispatch

House Of Gucci

BEST MAKEUP & HAIRSTYLING

Blonde

Dune

The French Dispatch

House Of Gucci

Old

BEST VISUAL EFFECTS

Dune

Eternals

The Matrix 4

Nine Days

Shang Chi And The Legend Of The Ten Rings

BEST ORIGINAL SCORE

Don’t Look Up

Dune

Eternals

Nightmare Alley

The Power Of The Dog

BEST ORIGINAL SONG

“???” – Dear Evan Hansen

“???” – Encanto

“Home All Summer” – In The Heights

“No Time To Die” – No Time To Die

“???” – Top Gun: Maverick

BEST SOUND

Don’t Look Up

Dune

Eternals

In The Heights

A Quiet Place: Part II

BEST ANIMATED FEATURE

Encanto

Flee

Luca

The Mitchells vs The Machines

Raya And The Last Dragon

Viewing 15 posts - 511 through 525 (of 534 total)

The topic ‘Very Early 2022 Oscar Predictions (Part 12)’ is closed to new replies.