Home Forums Movies Very Early 2022 Oscar Predictions (Part 13)

Very Early 2022 Oscar Predictions (Part 13)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 166 through 180 (of 483 total)
Created
2 months ago
Last Reply
1 month ago
( +1 hidden )
replies
views
users
George Ehret
Jajajajjaja
loudtoilet
  • Profile picture
    lolo's
    Topics:

With 10 slots, I personally do not think it is beyond reason to predict Dune and Eternals, especially with record low viewership like last year. Nominating even just 2 movies that the general audience will care about could do huge numbers for the ceremony. Frankly, genre haters or indie purists have no room to criticize either– last year we had 8 nominees, none of which were particularly successful movies from a cultural or box office perspective (the latter for obvious reasons) and that could wholly repeat, just with 2 additional slots, both being occupied by more commercially successful fare.

I’m not necessarily saying Eternals or Dune will make it in, but people here are acting like it is absolutely braindead to predict them when it is not. The Oscars are a business. And their business will cease to exist if there are no viewers. Ratings matter more than people here on this thread think. Also, a nomination does not mean a win.

First, we still don’t know how big Dune is going to be, it could end up another Blade Runner 2049 (a movie that while loved flopped at the BO)

And second, we have seen how the members do not care when voting about ratings, that’s why they tried to introduce the Best Popular film category and now they are expanding again to 10. There is room for more films to get nominated, but they will go to the movies they like more, no matter how it will impact the ratings

Profile picture
    George Ehret
    Topics:

Carey Mulligan (she has two vehicle)

She can go Supporting for Maestro and still win so it’s not like it’s a big loss for her

Oscar winners Emerald Fennell Daniel Kaluuya and Youn Yuh-jung

#StopAsianHate

Profile picture
    Jajajajjaja
    Topics:

The narrative that the Academy is seeking to possibly increase their shows viewership by nominating popular movies needs to die. 2021 Oscars had the lowest viewership ever but literally everyone knew that going in since we are in a pandemic and the vast majority of theaters were closed.

I mean, its not like Dune and Eternals are on the same level as F9 and Space Jam.

Even without those two movies as Crowdpleaser BP nominee, they still has two crowdpleaser to nominate in French Dispatch and Last Night in Soho (though its going to be tough for Soho  since: 1. it requires BO success and released on the same date as French Dispatch bring up questions on that 2. It needs to gain more than $86-90Million to break even their budget and im skeptical they could reach that number while being released at the same time as French Dispatch)

Profile picture
    Milk Money
    Topics:

I’m predicting Frances McDormand to never lose an acting Oscar from now on just like the last three wins for Katharine Hepburn, so she’ll probably win both for Macbeth and Women Talking.

I’m wish Frances would start campaigning for other nominees, but she doesn’t even campaign for herself lol.

Profile picture
    fannie cannie
    Topics:
    crabbie
    Topics:

In the Heights has been done since that box office bomb and the colorist casting probable will help shut it out in every category (maybe not song) including Supporting Actress where its die hard theatre fans try to campaign Olga in.

Michelle Williams Oscar campaign manager.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

In the Heights this awards season:

FYC: All things The Crown, Hacks and I May Destroy You (and Hannah Waddingham and Julianne Nicholson whilst you're at it)!!

Profile picture
    fannie cannie
    Topics:

To the person who in thread (I can’t remember who) who wanted In The Heights to flop because of that tweet, I guess your wish came true 🤣😂

Profile picture
    diego
    Topics:

All of this bad press for In The Heights will only make it easier for WB to drop it completely and spend all their money on Dune’s campaign.

Profile picture
    Stank83
    Topics:

Netflix announced that Will Smith will host and star in a variety comedy special. I have a feeling that he is coming…for a win…

He’s definitely starting to campaigning, and in a big way.

Profile picture
    Jajajajjaja
    Topics:

This leave Dear Evan Hansen and Tick Tick Boom as non problematic musicals (WSS has Ansel Elgort in it, although argument can be made that one person cant dismiss the entire movie and argument Separate the art from the artist is strong still)

Profile picture
    roger88
    Topics:

In the Heights got backlash for it’s colorism. Do you still think it has a chance of winning BP?

https://twitter.com/Lin_Manuel/status/1404565413116141570?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1404565413116141570%7Ctwgr%5E%7Ctwcon%5Es1_c10&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.townandcountrymag.com%2Fleisure%2Farts-and-culture%2Fa36729751%2Flin-manuel-miranda-in-the-heights-colorism-criticism%2F

Winning? The mere fact of the filler Best Picture nom is further every day… It’s DOA and considering Warner may lose $200M with this film, they will bury in the upcoming weeks as if nothing happened.

Profile picture
    roger88
    Topics:

This leave Dear Evan Hansen and Tick Tick Boom as non problematic musicals (WSS has Ansel Elgort in it, although argument can be made that one person cant dismiss the entire movie and argument Separate the art from the artist is strong still)

I guess with WSS, they can only cancel Ansel, while supporting the other cast. Right now, Ariana DeBose is promoting her AfroLatina heritage and queerness, which had been applauded and used as example over ITH disaster.

Profile picture
    fannie cannie
    Topics:

I guess with WSS, they can only cancel Ansel, while supporting the other cast. Right now, Ariana DeBose is promoting her AfroLatina heritage and queerness, which had been applauded and used as example over ITH disaster.

I’m not to sure about WSS tbh, if you look in replies of Lin’s apology on Twitter, people were still complaining about colorism in WSS as well as telling people to boycott both the films.

Profile picture
    Stank83
    Topics:

The colorism controversy is deeply silly.

Classic SJW Twitter thing.

Viewing 15 posts - 166 through 180 (of 483 total)

The topic ‘Very Early 2022 Oscar Predictions (Part 13)’ is closed to new replies.