Home Forums Movies Very Early 2022 Oscar Predictions (Part 13)

Very Early 2022 Oscar Predictions (Part 13)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 483 total)
Created
1 month ago
Last Reply
1 month ago
( +1 hidden )
replies
views
users
George Ehret
Jajajajjaja
loudtoilet
  • Profile picture
    Jajajajjaja
    Topics:

i really think jhud’s performance will get individually panned along with the entire movie but those always get nominated

Not in a stacked year.

Unless one of Margot Robbie, Cate Blanchett, Kirsten Dunst, Frances McDormand and Lady Gaga flopped critically with their respective movies (Below 50 Metacritic/50% on RottenTomatoes and its unlikely to happen, at least in McDormand case). I dont see how a panned performance in a meh movie would ever get in. JHud stands a chance if her case turned out to be like Andra Day last year, but again this year is stacked AF compared to last year.

Heck, even if at least two of the early frontrunners (i have Robbie, Blanchett, Dunst, McDormand and Gaga) movies’ flopped, BA will be open for contenders for the likes of Tessa Thompson, Martha Plimpton, Kristen Stewart etc.

(and tbf, the race is still open atm)

Profile picture
    Lil Tony
    Topics:

Will Smith ? What about the colorism ?

They should have used Jamie Foxx.

A Lady Gaga DEVOTEE

Profile picture
    Lil Tony
    Topics:

I want Kristen Stewart to happen

A Lady Gaga DEVOTEE

Profile picture
    diego
    Topics:

Those HBO Max numbers for In the Heights are BAD. I can’t see how this movie stays six more months in the conversation.

Profile picture
    Igor Alves
    Topics:

Maybe not really related to Oscars but i would like to predict Variety’s Actors on Actors pairing lineup for upcoming awards season. Tessa Thompson-Margot Robbie Kirsten Dunst-Cate Blanchett (has She ever done stuff like this?) Denzel Washington-Adam Driver Jennifer Hudson-Lady Gaga Willem Dafoe-Will Smith Andrew Garfield-Bradley Cooper Benedict Cumberbatch-John David Washington Ana De Armas-Jessica Chastain Ruth Negga-Martha Plimpton Thomasin McKenzie-Rooney Mara Kristen Stewart-Jennifer Lawrence

Kstew and Jlaw would be awesome and it’d have the potential to go viral and get the most views

Profile picture
    George Ehret
    Topics:

Can someone please explain the confidence in Marlee Matlin and/or Ruth Negga? I saw both those movies and they both rub me as “no way they get Academy consideration. CODA is cute but has no edge, and Passing is too slight for them. I just don’t see a world where either get any nominations whatsoever

Oscar winners Emerald Fennell Daniel Kaluuya and Youn Yuh-jung

#StopAsianHate

Profile picture
    diego
    Topics:

Can someone please explain the confidence in Marlee Matlin and/or Ruth Negga? I saw both those movies and they both rub me as “no way they get Academy consideration. CODA is cute but has no edge, and Passing is too slight for them. I just don’t see a world where either get any nominations whatsoever

I think people are just thinking there is going to be a Sundance smash because of what happened last year with PYW and Minari, but the circumstances this year are completely different.

Last year those films benefited from the big releases moving and the fall festivals not being that strong.

Profile picture
    T3B
    Topics:

Yeah I agree with those saying DLU doesn’t seem like AMPAS’ cup of tea.

But like I said b4 I can see Streep for supporting being its best nom contender. But the role is the one that brings the comedy to the film. So that might be its Achilles heel.

Leo is the second best placed to possibly get a nom. That’s based on the character’s arc and holding/grounding role in the film.

I don’t see JLaw getting a lick.
    The only other person I would think would get in is Chris Evans. I’m just not sure he’s still in the reported role of Isherwell.

I’m really interested in seeing how the film lands.

Profile picture
    Anything
    Topics:

What even is AMPAS’s cup of tea anymore? A movie about a mute woman having sex with a fish won Best Picture a few years ago, followed by Green Book and a foreign language film in Parasite. AMPAS’s demographics have changed and more types of movies are contenders now.

Don’t Look Up is Netflix’s marquee showcase of the year. After how Vice performed even after getting tepid reviews, I’m not sure where the doubts about Don’t Look Up are coming from. Netflix + McKay + Leo + Law + Meryl + Cate is the most formidable alliance of the year as far as AMPAS is concerned. It may not win any Oscars, but it will get a bunch of nominations.

I’ve heard through the grapevine that the movie test screened recently. Anybody hear anything?

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

I’m only considering Passing because of the Netflix of it all but outside of BAFTA that film is not a sure bet for anything.

I am not considering CODA. Especially with Apple already having Macbeth.

FYC: All things The Crown, Hacks and I May Destroy You (and Hannah Waddingham and Julianne Nicholson whilst you're at it)!!

Profile picture
    Sir Pierce
    Topics:

Best Actor:

1. Denzel Washington – The Tragedy Of Macbeth
    2. Bradley Cooper – Nightmare Alley
    3. Leonardo DiCaprio – Don’t Look Up
    4. Christian Bale – Canterbury Glass
    5. Joaquin Phoenix – C’mon, C’mon

Best Actress:

1. Jennifer Hudson – Respect
    2. Rachel Zegler – West Side Story
    3. Jodie Comer – The Last Duel
    4. Margot Robbie – Canterbury Glass
    5. Lady Gaga – House Of Gucci

Best Supporting Actor:

1. Bradley Cooper – Soggy Bottom
    2. Richard Jenkins – Nightmare Alley
    3. Adam Driver – The Last Duel
    4. John David Washington – Canterbury Glass
    5. David Alvarez – West Side Story

Best Supporting Actress:

1. Ariana DeBose – West Side Story
    2. Frances McDormand – The Tragedy Of Macbeth
    3. Cate Blanchett – Nightmare Alley
    4. Ruth Negga – Passing
    5. Meryl Streep – Don’t Look Up

A very annoying young man, who loves cinema. 🙂

Twitter: https://twitter.com/pierce_sir
    Letterboxd: https://letterboxd.com/11higuys/

Profile picture
    Sir Pierce
    Topics:

Not in a stacked year. Unless one of Margot Robbie, Cate Blanchett, Kirsten Dunst, Frances McDormand and Lady Gaga flopped critically with their respective movies (Below 50 Metacritic/50% on RottenTomatoes and its unlikely to happen, at least in McDormand case). I dont see how a panned performance in a meh movie would ever get in. JHud stands a chance if her case turned out to be like Andra Day last year, but again this year is stacked AF compared to last year. Heck, even if at least two of the early frontrunners (i have Robbie, Blanchett, Dunst, McDormand and Gaga) movies’ flopped, BA will be open for contenders for the likes of Tessa Thompson, Martha Plimpton, Kristen Stewart etc. (and tbf, the race is still open atm)

Well… if it is as stacked as we’re all making out, then why would they submit Blanchett and McDormand as lead when they are easily slotted into supporting… The same could also apply to Dunst.

Also, Jane Campion is a ridiculously inconsistent director from an Awards perspective. The only two proper successes are Top Of The Lake and The Piano – and the former is a TV show… I think there’s a bit of wishful thinking calling her one of the frontrunners in Lead Actress, when Cumberbatch is the obvious lead of the film and it’s from a director that isn’t known for consistency with Awards bodies…

On the other hand, Ridley Scott is pretty consistent, in regards to his Oscar-bait films, with Awards bodies. When Matt Damon can get in for The Martian, there is the scent of favouritism in the air… Same goes fro Michelle Williams getting a Globe nom for All The Money In The World… All the same, I think it would be a little naive to call his films or the actors in them frontrunners. Sure, Lady Gaga is currently in my predictions, as are Comer and Driver, but I can’t see them winning, frankly, unless the films are extremely well-recieved.

Meanwhile, Jennifer Hudson has a beast of a part and a good narrative – the same as Renee in 2019.  In the Actress category, for me, she’s the closest thing to a lock. And it does look like a crowd-pleasing film, to be fair. However, the film could turn out to be abysmal, as is sometimes the case with these biopic films…

Margot Robbie’s chances could, also, be skewed by her association with David O. Russell, if the controversy resurges.

My overall point is that, when one phrases it like that, the Actress category is nowhere near as stacked as some seem to be suggesting.

A very annoying young man, who loves cinema. 🙂

Twitter: https://twitter.com/pierce_sir
    Letterboxd: https://letterboxd.com/11higuys/

Profile picture
    LA26
    Topics:

Bullet Train-starring Brad Pitt-will be released on April 8, 2022.

Profile picture
    roger88
    Topics:

Those HBO Max numbers for In the Heights are BAD. I can’t see how this movie stays six more months in the conversation.

Yep. Everything is against In The Heights now. At best it’s another Jersey Boys (Summer release, Broadway adaptation, A Cinemascore, niche following) and only made $67 millions at BO. But now, the toxic word of mouth can hurt more.

Too bad for Anthony Ramos, hoping he gets another opportunities to deliver.

Profile picture
    Champs12
    Topics:

Yep. Everything is against In The Heights now. At best it’s another Jersey Boys (Summer release, Broadway adaptation, A Cinemascore, niche following) and only made $67 millions at BO. But now, the toxic word of mouth can hurt more. Too bad for Anthony Ramos, hoping he gets another opportunities to deliver.

Anthony Ramos has work. He is going to star in the next Transformers movie

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 483 total)

The topic ‘Very Early 2022 Oscar Predictions (Part 13)’ is closed to new replies.