Home Forums Movies Very Early 2022 Oscar Predictions (Part 13)

Very Early 2022 Oscar Predictions (Part 13)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 346 through 360 (of 483 total)
Created
2 months ago
Last Reply
1 month ago
( +1 hidden )
replies
views
users
George Ehret
Jajajajjaja
loudtoilet
  • Profile picture
    Topics:
    This post was found to be inappropriate by the moderators and has been removed.
    Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Nah, the competition is very packed in Actor this year

No it is not lol.

FYC: All things The Crown, Hacks and I May Destroy You (and Hannah Waddingham and Julianne Nicholson whilst you're at it)!!

Profile picture
    RIDLEY SCOTT
    Topics:

All of you forgot Idris Elba. He is winning BSA and Denzel is winning BA

Profile picture
    George Ehret
    Topics:

Best Director Guillermo del Toro – Nightmare Alley Jane Campion – The Power of the Dog Steven Spielberg – West Side Story Asghar Farhadi – A Hero Denis Villeneuve – Dune

This may be wishful thinking on my part, but I seriously think that Spielberg is gonna get snubbed for WSS. Yes, I understand it has a large technical scale, but the Directors’ branch of the Academy is maybe easily the snobbiest group of people in the entire organization. Motherfuckers snubbed Bradley Cooper, who directed one of the biggest hits of 2018, for Pawel Pawlikowski, someone who won a Foreign Film Oscar a few years prior but was still far from a household name. Furthermore, they snubbed Best Picture frontrunners/potential runner-ups like Martin McDonaugh and Aaron Sorkin for Paul Thomas Anderson and Thomas Vinterberg. Hell, they snubbed Kathryn Bigelow, Oscar-winning Director including for that SAME FUCKING CATEGORY for Michael Haneke (or Behn Zeitlin, both are applicable). So I totally see Spielberg getting snubbed, especially if WSS is anything like I suspect it will be…

Oscar winners Emerald Fennell Daniel Kaluuya and Youn Yuh-jung

#StopAsianHate

Profile picture
    George Ehret
    Topics:

All of you forgot Idris Elba. He is winning BSA and Denzel is winning BA

Looking into The Harder They Fall, I’m not sure that they’re gonna pay attention to it. Nothing about it screams “Ooh, this could be a contender”. I have a tough time seeing it get any nominations

#StopAsianHate

Profile picture
    Stank83
    Topics:

It’s pretty clear you are just biased against Bradley and don’t want to see him. But whether you like it or not, he’s in two of the most buzzed-about upcoming films of the season, and saying he won’t be in the conversation is just delusional.

I didn’t say he won’t be in the conversation (basically he already is with our predictions at GD and other forums), i’m saying he won’t get any acting nominations, let alone a double one, for the reasons I explained.

Some people bring up Scarlett Johansson as an example that it’s possible for him to get a double nomination, but she had a big narrative of being overdue for a nom, so that was basically the Academy’s acknowledgement that she should have been nominated before for movies like Lost In Translation, Her, and Under The Skin.

Cooper has literally the opposite problem, lots of people consider him over rewarded with too many noms compared to his actual talent and how many he actually deserved (especially his nominations for American Hustle and American Sniper).
    Someone in the thread said it perfectly, he’s the ultimate embodiment of the privilege of white male mediocrity in Hollywood.

So that’s why to me despite being in the early conversations, he won’t happen in both categories this year.

Profile picture
    George Ehret
    Topics:

Cooper has literally the opposite problem, lots of people consider him over rewarded with too many noms compared to his actual talent and how many he actually deserved (especially his nominations for American Hustle and American Sniper).

Literally only half of his nominations are actually for Acting, he has three Best Picture nominations and a Screenplay nomination as well. And it’s not like you can’t get double-nommed if you’ve never been nominated. Cate Blanchett did it a while ago and she won before then too. It’s not crazy to think Cooper could be double-nommed.

Also, he was not good in American Sniper, lmao, and this is coming from someone who thinks he’s one of our best actors

#StopAsianHate

Profile picture
    fefface
    Topics:

Literally only half of his nominations are actually for Acting, he has three Best Picture nominations and a Screenplay nomination as well. And it’s not like you can’t get double-nommed if you’ve never been nominated. Cate Blanchett did it a while ago and she won before then too. It’s not crazy to think Cooper could be double-nommed. Also, he was not good in American Sniper, lmao, and this is coming from someone who thinks he’s one of our best actors

No one is saying he can’t be double-nominated, just that they don’t think he will, and that comparing him to Scarlett Johansson (as some people have) isn’t a good comparison.

Profile picture
    Jajajajjaja
    Topics:

Looking into The Harder They Fall, I’m not sure that they’re gonna pay attention to it. Nothing about it screams “Ooh, this could be a contender”. I have a tough time seeing it get any nominations

The whole “This aint an Oscar thing” argument is really getting less relevant over the course of time. The Favourite (Stylish Period Pieces aside) has never been a supposed “Oscar thing”, same thing goes for Parasite, Mad Max, District 9, Black Swan, Get Out, Jojo Rabbit, Black Swan or even Promising Young Woman last year. I remember seeing people in those threads saying “PYW wont go anywhere since its not their thing and they will be turned off by it” and everyone has Amy Adams over Carey Mulligan. We know what happened next

Profile picture
    George Ehret
    Topics:

The whole “This aint an Oscar thing” argument is really getting less relevant over the course of time. The Favourite (Stylish Period Pieces aside) has never been a supposed “Oscar thing”, same thing goes for Parasite, Mad Max, District 9, Black Swan, Get Out, Jojo Rabbit, Black Swan or even Promising Young Woman last year. I remember seeing people in those threads saying “PYW wont go anywhere since its not their thing and they will be turned off by it” and everyone has Amy Adams over Carey Mulligan. We know what happened next

I was making the point that nothing about it stuck out to me as an Oscar contender. If the genre was the same and there was something that made me think “this could get nominated” right off the bat, that would be different.

#StopAsianHate

Profile picture
    fannie cannie
    Topics:

Yep , but I doubt it will fail terribly , the cast is wonderful, I don’t think they would take the job if the movie is that bad and Jay Z is one of the producers so it might get attention but if its anything like Concrete Cowboys then its best bet is getting acting noms and maybe cinematography.

Profile picture
    sarahvsmovies
    Topics:

I don’t think Canterbury Glass is coming out this year, honestly. Unless we get a release date very soon, I’m guessing it moves to 2022.

Profile picture
    JV
    Topics:

It’s a western. Westerns have been nominated in the past.

The problem is that Netflix already has a stacked line up and The Harder They Fall will need undeniable acclaim to gaining steam, but as I said, the lack of black led movies could help it or Passing.

I can see Idris Elba buzzing his way to a nomination through his overdue narrative, or even to a win like Regina King.

Profile picture
    George Ehret
    Topics:

I don’t think Canterbury Glass is coming out this year, honestly. Unless we get a release date very soon, I’m guessing it moves to 2022.

I agree, plus it seems like Fox has their hands full with West Side Story anyway. They may also not wanna have to deal with Ansel Elgort and David O Russell in the same year lmfaoooooo

#StopAsianHate

Profile picture
    Crackleking
    Topics:

This may be wishful thinking on my part, but I seriously think that Spielberg is gonna get snubbed for WSS. Yes, I understand it has a large technical scale, but the Directors’ branch of the Academy is maybe easily the snobbiest group of people in the entire organization. Motherfuckers snubbed Bradley Cooper, who directed one of the biggest hits of 2018, for Pawel Pawlikowski, someone who won a Foreign Film Oscar a few years prior but was still far from a household name. Furthermore, they snubbed Best Picture frontrunners/potential runner-ups like Martin McDonaugh and Aaron Sorkin for Paul Thomas Anderson and Thomas Vinterberg. Hell, they snubbed Kathryn Bigelow, Oscar-winning Director including for that SAME FUCKING CATEGORY for Michael Haneke (or Behn Zeitlin, both are applicable). So I totally see Spielberg getting snubbed, especially if WSS is anything like I suspect it will be…

The only way Spielberg gets a director nom is if the film is amazing and is a top 5 contender, because there is nothing stylish or particularly interesting about his direction for him to be nominated over the work of more deserving auters, like Del Toro or Paul Thomas Anderson or even Asghar Farhadi.

Viewing 15 posts - 346 through 360 (of 483 total)

The topic ‘Very Early 2022 Oscar Predictions (Part 13)’ is closed to new replies.