Home Forums Movies Very Early 2022 Oscar Predictions (Part 13)

Very Early 2022 Oscar Predictions (Part 13)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 361 through 375 (of 483 total)
Created
2 months ago
Last Reply
1 month ago
( +1 hidden )
replies
views
users
George Ehret
Jajajajjaja
loudtoilet
  • Profile picture
    Crackleking
    Topics:

Fox also has The Last Duel which could shape up to be this years News of the World

Profile picture
    diego
    Topics:

Fox also has The Last Duel which could shape up to be this years News of the World

So a flop?

Profile picture
    George Ehret
    Topics:

So a flop?

Nam flashbacks to when we thought News of the World was getting Best Picture over Judas and Sound of Metal

Oscar winners Emerald Fennell Daniel Kaluuya and Youn Yuh-jung

#StopAsianHate

Profile picture
    The Oscarguy
    Topics:

Nam flashbacks to when we thought News of the World was getting Best Picture over Judas and Sound of Metal

When Critics Choice nominated it over Judas and The Father…

Profile picture
    Crackleking
    Topics:

The Critics Choice are a joke of an awards show

Profile picture
    Melvinezq
    Topics:

However, The Last Duel has a potential to be a dark horse. She is what I mean.

Profile picture
    The Oscarguy
    Topics:

The whole “This aint an Oscar thing” argument is really getting less relevant over the course of time. The Favourite (Stylish Period Pieces aside) has never been a supposed “Oscar thing”, same thing goes for Parasite, Mad Max, District 9, Black Swan, Get Out, Jojo Rabbit, Black Swan or even Promising Young Woman last year. I remember seeing people in those threads saying “PYW wont go anywhere since its not their thing and they will be turned off by it” and everyone has Amy Adams over Carey Mulligan. We know what happened next

I looked back to last ten years and literally every year there’s at least one that doesn’t seem to be The Academy’s cup of tea at all. It’s a trend and with 10 nominees in Picture this year it ain’t stopping now.

Profile picture
    LA26
    Topics:

Trailer dropped for Tarantino’s OUATIH book: https://ew.com/movies/once-upon-a-time-in-hollywood-novelization-quentin-tarantino/ QT will also appear today on Jimmy Kimmel’s show to promote the book. The trailer uses scenes that were cut from the movie, including one with Julia Butters that David Heyman says would have earned her an Oscar nomination if it hadn’t been cut. According to the film’s Twitter account, Jennifer Jason Leigh will perform the audiobook: https://mobile.twitter.com/OnceInHollywood/status/1392872270142459909

Profile picture
    Stank83
    Topics:

I swear, if he kept all those scenes and the ones of the original trailer, he would have won Best Picture.

Profile picture
    JV
    Topics:

https://www.worldofreel.com/blog/2021/6/dont-look-up-test-screens-

What we know about Adam McKay’s “Don’t Look Up,” (Fall 2021) his upcoming return to comedy, is that it’s the story of two low-level astronomers who must go on a giant media tour to warn mankind of an approaching asteroid that will destroy Earth.

It sounds politically-charged and it probably will be. Just look at what McKay told Rolling Stone earlier in the year, describing his film as being about “a global catastrophe and a bumbling U.S. President who refuses to listen to his White House scientists advice”.

A thespian who has seen the film at a recent test screening told me that it was a global warming satire with a lot of the same meta-editing McKay brought to his last two films (“The Big Short” “Vice”). This person also mentioned Meryl Streep, Leonardo DiCaprio and Mark Rylance (playing a Bill Gates/Warren Buffet-type) as the most likely to receive awards attention.

Meanwhile, Jennifer Lawrence’s lead scientist isn’t much of a chewy role for the actress as she is mostly used as a narrative device for the audience. Timothee Chalamet, and Cate Blanchett have limited supporting roles. The version that was screened runs a whopping 2 hours and 35 minutes in length and is said to be very “Brecht-ian.”

The film garnered glowing reactions from those I’ve spoken to. Another L.A. test screening is set for this coming week.

ViewerAnon, who is reliable when it comes to screenings, also backs up https://mobile.twitter.com/ViewerAnon/status/1404817346208833538

Don’t Look Up is in.

Profile picture
    loudtoilet
    Topics:

They need more spotlight, indeed. But not by racebending characters from source material. The way they get it wrong isnt only refers to racebending etc but also the way they treat their POC characters. Star Wars get it wrong on John Boyega, Oscar Isaacs and Kelly Marie Tran. And also if they only racebend or using diversity merely as a backdrop without adding any depth to their story related to it

Nope. Boyega’s talking points are not be all and end all. Star Wars has been marketed as The Skywalker Saga so of course that Skywalkers and the character directly connected to them, which is Rey (granddaughter of the arch-enemy, mentored by Luke and Leia, Force Bond with + love interest of the youngest Skywalker), were going to be the focus and I think that Skywalkers should’ve had more focus than what they got. The rest of them were just played by a black actor, Asian actress and a white Hispanic actor but those characters were just humans because there’s no such thing as race in SW universe. So they were not a black character, an Asian character, etc. What you and Boyega are saying is that story should have changed to make these characters more prominent because they were played by PoC, which means that such demand wouldn’t be there if they weren’t. So what’s next, is Black Widow going to be bashed because a PoC is not the focus of the movie about Russian spies? I don’t know but it seems perfectly logical to me than any character who isn’t Russian will be at the margins of the plot. Just like characters who weren’t Rey, aka the main hero of the story, and Skywalkers since, you know, this is their saga. So if you ask me, SW complaint is a standard “actor wants more lines” repackaged for current climate. But no proof of any ill intention on the part of Disney since characters played by Max Von Sidow, Domhnall Gleeson, REG, Laura Dern didn’t fare better. No one in these movies was written well, it’s just that some actor(s) did better with what was given than other actors and thus emerged more popular than the one who’s complaining.

Profile picture
    SN
    Topics:

https://www.worldofreel.com/blog/2021/6/dont-look-up-test-screens-

ViewerAnon, who is reliable when it comes to screenings, also backs up https://mobile.twitter.com/ViewerAnon/status/1404817346208833538

Don’t Look Up is in.

I’m still not confident about it, but that’s promising.

Profile picture
    loudtoilet
    Topics:

Found some added thoughts that are not in World of Reel:

The version that was recently screened allegedly ran 2 hours and 30 minutes, and is said to be very “Brecht-ian” with another viewer saying Paddy Chayefsky’s shadow “looms all over it.”

Another L.A. test screening will happen in a few days.

https://hollywood-elsewhere.com/2021/06/ruimy-early-dont-look-up-reactions/#disqus_thread

Re: Dune. Trailer and 5 spots will be released next week.

Profile picture
    George Ehret
    Topics:

I’ll be honest, when I read the script for Don’t Look Up, I really did not think it was gonna be a big thing at all. I thought it was too obvious with what it was trying to do with its message, even more so than Vice. And solely based on that draft I read, I thought there’d be no way that even the Academy would wanna go anywhere near it. Based on everything I’ve been hearing, I’m 100% wrong. I’m never basing any prediction off an early draft ever again.

Don’t Look Up is getting in, and if you don’t see it you are blind.

Oscar winners Emerald Fennell Daniel Kaluuya and Youn Yuh-jung

#StopAsianHate

Profile picture
    Jajajajjaja
    Topics:

so… no J-Law comeback???

or at least. J-Law is out of race (for Don’t look up)??

Viewing 15 posts - 361 through 375 (of 483 total)

The topic ‘Very Early 2022 Oscar Predictions (Part 13)’ is closed to new replies.