Home Forums Movies Very Early 2022 Oscar Predictions (Part 13)

Very Early 2022 Oscar Predictions (Part 13)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 6 posts - 466 through 471 (of 471 total)
Created
3 months ago
Last Reply
3 months ago
( +1 hidden )
replies
views
users
George Ehret
Elsa Korr
loudtoilet
  • Profile picture
    loudtoilet
    Topics:

Belfast might be a BAFTA bone-throw but AMPAS won’t give a shit about Northen Ireland.  That on top of Goldfinch vibes.

Profile picture
    Cabelo da Shiv
    Topics:

Belfast to me smells like one for the This Had Oscar Buzz hall of fame

Profile picture
    Chitanda170
    Topics:

He was real mad about not getting a nomination when he said that. Cooper is transparently just absolutely desperate for an Oscar.

He’s just using an old tactic

Profile picture
    Arman Saxena
    Topics:

Belfast to me smells like one for the This Had Oscar Buzz hall of fame

Yeah, I really can’t trust Branagh. All of his critically-acclaimed films are Shakespeare adaptations and if Belfast wants to get a spot in BP it’s got to be better than those. For this kind of movie, the screenplay seems pretty important and I think this is his first original screenplay so I have very little confidence in it getting any nominations. That said, as many have said already, Focus is sending it to TIFF so who knows?

EDIT: It’s actually his second original screenplay after A Midwinter’s Tale

Profile picture
    Elsa Korr
    Topics:

Thanks for the feedback about Yeun’s role! @Jajajajjaja I thought that Jojo Rabbit was BS and such a waste of Picture nomination spot and an embarrassing TIFF win. Kind of movie that got away because of It Director that everyone likes or pretends to like and I guess nostalgia topic that isn’t a sure thing anymore. So if Soho, which at least has much better trailer than anything Jojo ever released (movie itself included), is BS too and gets in because everyone likes or pretends to like Wright, than yes we have the analogy. Especially if it wins TIFF ha ha.

Each to their own, but i think Jojo Rabbit is a masterpiece. It was intended to be satirical like Tropic Thunder and some Critics take themselves too seriously (and coincidentally the same critics shits on Joker too),

Sure goofy nazi or hitler or whatever, it was meant to be satirical. Its not insensitive, like, lets say, The Nutcracker in 3D (One of the worst movie ever) where John Turturro and his Rat Cult dressed as Nazi terrorizing 1920s Austria.

It does help that audiences generally liked Jojo Rabbit

FYC-Nightmare Alley in All Categories (Best Picture, Guillermo Del Toro for Best Director, Bradley Cooper for Best Actor, Cate Blanchett for Best Actress, Rooney Mara for Best Supporting Actress, Richard Jenkins for Best Supporting Actor)

FYC-Last Night in Soho (Edgar Wright for Best Director, Thomasin McKenzie for Best Actress, Anya Taylor Joy for Best Supporting Actress, Edgar Wright and Krysty Wilson Cairns for Best Original Screenplay)

Profile picture
    Sir Pierce
    Topics:

Card Counter – I think people are being mislead on the nature of this film by it being labeled “revenge thriller” for some reason. I got a chance to read the script, and it’s not a crime or revenge “thriller” at all. Certainly not a thriller — there’s no action. It’s a very dialogue-forward, very dark, character study. Much like First Reformed. That said, I think it will be divisive and potentially stir up some discourse. I agree this is the one that likely won’t make a picture play, mostly because it’s too dark and has touchy political commentary. It will be pushing screenplay and actor.

If you don’t mind me asking, based on the screenplay, who do you think has the best chances in the acting categories? And, also, what does the commentary pertain to?

A very annoying young man, who loves cinema. 🙂

Twitter: https://twitter.com/pierce_sir
    Letterboxd: https://letterboxd.com/11higuys/

Viewing 6 posts - 466 through 471 (of 471 total)

The topic ‘Very Early 2022 Oscar Predictions (Part 13)’ is closed to new replies.