Home Forums Movies Very Early 2022 Oscar Predictions (Part 13)

Very Early 2022 Oscar Predictions (Part 13)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 472 total)
Created
3 months ago
Last Reply
3 months ago
( +1 hidden )
replies
views
users
George Ehret
Elsa Korr
loudtoilet
  • Profile picture
    RIDLEY SCOTT
    Topics:

Yeah, but when has a black actress deserved to win an Oscar? Even when Halle Berry did, I think the consensus is that Naomi Watts gave a better performance? I think the one time a black actress 100% deserved to win was with Viola Davis in The Help. Alas, that leaves you with the same statistic. To me, I think that the problem is the culture itself around the movie industry itself. For instance, there is no reason to say that Emma Stone’s role in La La Land has to be played by a white actress. Sure, Stone was great. But I do think Tessa Thompson, for instance, would have done just as good a job. The rationale for a decision like that is that, for some reason, black actresses are usually only casts as lead in films to do with racism. This same standard does not apply to black actors – just look at the filmographies of Denzel Washington and Will Smith to see what I mean. Sure, Halle Berry was around for a bit, but there was a reason that it was so surprising to some audiences to see Viola Davis as the lead in Widows. I think that is more the problem than the Oscars themselves, to be honest. Look at last year and see how both Andra Day and Viola Davis got nominated for movies about racism, whilst Riz Ahmed gets nominated for a film about losing your hearing.

I agree. Only in the last 40 years, Black men were very big movie stars especially Denzel Washington, Eddie Murphy and Will Smith. But Hollywood still has an obsession about lighter tones in women. When some people wanted Idris Elba as James Bond, the racial wars were very awful on Twitter

Profile picture
    Elsa Korr
    Topics:

Yeah, but when has a black actress deserved to win an Oscar? Even when Halle Berry did, I think the consensus is that Naomi Watts gave a better performance? I think the one time a black actress 100% deserved to win was with Viola Davis in The Help. Alas, that leaves you with the same statistic. To me, I think that the problem is the culture itself around the movie industry itself. For instance, there is no reason to say that Emma Stone’s role in La La Land has to be played by a white actress. Sure, Stone was great. But I do think Tessa Thompson, for instance, would have done just as good a job. The rationale for a decision like that is that, for some reason, black actresses are usually only casts as lead in films to do with racism. This same standard does not apply to black actors – just look at the filmographies of Denzel Washington and Will Smith to see what I mean. Sure, Halle Berry was around for a bit, but there was a reason that it was so surprising to some audiences to see Viola Davis as the lead in Widows. I think that is more the problem than the Oscars themselves, to be honest. Look at last year and see how both Andra Day and Viola Davis got nominated for movies about racism, whilst Riz Ahmed gets nominated for a film about losing your hearing.

The issue, aside from that fact, in the current woke culture the industry are clueless on how to utilize POC actors properly. Now here is the thing, while i acknowledge that Minorities group needs to be more represented or whatsoever, the way they did it rubs people the wrong way.

Why would you cast a POC actress for Ariel in Little Mermaid? Why would you racebend Clark Kent and dont leave him as it is? And some racebend on Comic Book characters that rubs comic fans the wrong way.

The industry should create a project, where POC (or in this case, Black) actress leads a project that isnt related to racism, giving opportunity instead of screwing source materials by racebending characters so they represent “diversity” without rubbing people the wrong way

Sadly, it seems that it wouldnt change, at least for now

FYC-Nightmare Alley in All Categories (Best Picture, Guillermo Del Toro for Best Director, Bradley Cooper for Best Actor, Cate Blanchett for Best Actress, Rooney Mara for Best Supporting Actress, Richard Jenkins for Best Supporting Actor)

FYC-Last Night in Soho (Edgar Wright for Best Director, Thomasin McKenzie for Best Actress, Anya Taylor Joy for Best Supporting Actress, Edgar Wright and Krysty Wilson Cairns for Best Original Screenplay)

Profile picture
    RIDLEY SCOTT
    Topics:

The issue, aside from that fact, in the current woke culture the industry are clueless on how to utilize POC actors properly. Now here is the thing, while i acknowledge that Minorities group needs to be more represented or whatsoever, the way they did it rubs people the wrong way. Why would you cast a POC actress for Ariel in Little Mermaid? Why would you racebend Clark Kent and dont leave him as it is? And some racebend on Comic Book characters that rubs comic fans the wrong way. The industry should create a project, where POC (or in this case, Black) actress leads a project that isnt related to racism, giving opportunity instead of screwing source materials by racebending characters so they represent “diversity” without rubbing people the wrong way Sadly, it seems that it wouldnt change, at least for now

I doubt that. Most of the world is racist. Sounds extreme but it’s the ugly truth. It’s not the USA. China is even more racist than the USA. Disney changed Star Wars because China hated it

Profile picture
    Calvin
    Topics:

To the person who said ‘and the rest of her filmography is less than stellar’ with regards to Jane Campion: Tell me you haven’t watched An Angel at My Table and Bright Star without telling me you haven’t watched An Angel at My Table and Bright Star. Even her more divisive stuff is good.

And with regards to diversity, the conversation needs to continue. The fact we had two POC acting winners and a POC female director win does not remove the fact that all of these are anomalies to the Academy’s history. Asian and Black artists remain highly underrepresented, AND that’s not even beginning to mention the many underrepresented minorities.

Still celebrating Supporting Actress - Youn Yuh-jung (Minari)

FYC Emmys: The Underground Railroad

Profile picture
    George Ehret
    Topics:

To the person who said ‘and the rest of her filmography is less than stellar’ with regards to Jane Campion: Tell me you haven’t watched An Angel at My Table and Bright Star without telling me you haven’t watched An Angel at My Table and Bright Star. Even her more divisive stuff is good.

i was gonna say isn’t Angel and My Table well-reviewed? Not on the level of The Piano necessarily, but still has good reviews. Also didn’t the miniseries she did with Elizabeth Moss get Emmys love? I dunno

FYC
    Best Picture: The Worst Person in the World
    Best Director: Jane Campion
    Best Actor: Benedict Cumberbatch
    Best Actress: Renate Reinsve
    Best Supporting Actor: Benedict Wong
    Best Supporting Actress: Kirsten Dunst
    Best Adapted Screenplay: The Power of the Dog
    Best Original Screenplay: The Worst Person in the World

Profile picture
    crabbie
    Topics:

I’m starting to get the vibe Jessica Chastain gets nominated no matter how bad the film is based on her physical transformation which to her credit is quite impressive.

Michelle Williams Oscar campaign manager.

Profile picture
    Elsa Korr
    Topics:

I doubt that. Most of the world is racist. Sounds extreme but it’s the ugly truth. It’s not the USA. China is even more racist than the USA. Disney changed Star Wars because China hated it

Yeah, i agree, racism is still everywhere, even here in Asia. And i know that Disney removed John Boyega from Star Wars promotion in China.

But im saying the way Industry tried to address it rubs people the wrong way, especially when it comes to Comic book adaptations and popular franchises. They either screw POC Characters like Star Wars Sequel to John Boyega, Oscar Isaac and Kelly Marie Tran or Racebend characters from Source material

Racebending characters from its original soutce material is not a solution  yet we see how DC tries to racebend Clark Kent, and they has racebend Iris West and many more. And the way Live Action Little Mermaid racebend Ariel. They could create original characters instead of racebending existing characters yet here we are watching the Industry with no clues how to do PoC properly. Perhaps Black Panther is the best example to do it the right way

FYC-Nightmare Alley in All Categories (Best Picture, Guillermo Del Toro for Best Director, Bradley Cooper for Best Actor, Cate Blanchett for Best Actress, Rooney Mara for Best Supporting Actress, Richard Jenkins for Best Supporting Actor)

FYC-Last Night in Soho (Edgar Wright for Best Director, Thomasin McKenzie for Best Actress, Anya Taylor Joy for Best Supporting Actress, Edgar Wright and Krysty Wilson Cairns for Best Original Screenplay)

Profile picture
    Sir Pierce
    Topics:

To the person who said ‘and the rest of her filmography is less than stellar’ with regards to Jane Campion: Tell me you haven’t watched An Angel at My Table and Bright Star without telling me you haven’t watched An Angel at My Table and Bright Star. Even her more divisive stuff is good. And with regards to diversity, the conversation needs to continue. The fact we had two POC acting winners and a POC female director win does not remove the fact that all of these are anomalies to the Academy’s history. Asian and Black artists remain highly underrepresented, AND that’s not even beginning to mention the many underrepresented minorities.

Bright Star got okay reviews. It’s a 6.9 on IMDb, for instance. And An Angel at My Table got very good reviews, but it wasn’t nominated for any Oscars…

This is kind of my point. Even then, though, take those two out of the equation and how many other well-reviewed ones can you name? Holy Smoke! and The Portrait Of A Lady got poor reviews and In The Cut was pretty much panned. I don’t see why there is so much faith here. There’s one Oscar-nominated masterpiece from 27 years ago and one well-reviewed film before that. Then there is a film with a lukewarm response – Bright Star. Then there’s a TV show that won a few Emmys – which she co-directed, even if she is credited as co-creator. But then they are interspersed with just as many (if not more) duds. On the whole, my point is I don’t think we should have so much faith in Jane Campion. It might be good, but it might be bad. Her awards record is pretty shabby as well. Even the ones that got better reviews didn’t get in.

As I said before, Top Of The Lake is a good omen, but anyone who is putting Jane Campion in their Top 5 for director are gambling a bit, never mind the people who are suggesting her winning.

And you’re kind of misrepresenting my point on diversity. My argument is that the lack of diversity isn’t so much the Academy’s fault so much as it is the industry who does not employ as many black actresses in lead roles, compared to white actresses, unless it’s a film about slavery or racism.

A very annoying young man, who loves cinema. 🙂

Twitter: https://twitter.com/pierce_sir
    Letterboxd: https://letterboxd.com/11higuys/

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

So it gets panned but Jessica gets nominated!? I will take that!!!

More like Cherry Jones lol.

Oscars FYC:
    "Shiva Baby" – in all categories especially Picture, Adapted Screenplay, Score
    "Together" – in all categories especially Actress (Sharon Horgan), Actor (James McAvoy), Original Screenplay
    "CODA" – in all categories especially Supporting Actor (Troy Kotsur)
    "Everybody's Talking About Jamie" – Supporting Actor (Richard E. Grant), Supporting Actress (Sarah Lancashire)
    "I'm Your Man" – International Feature
    "Summer of Soul" – Documentary Feature

Profile picture
    Music Forever
    Topics:

I’m starting to get the vibe Jessica Chastain gets nominated no matter how bad the film is based on her physical transformation which to her credit is quite impressive.

Bingo.

Profile picture
    ReddWhite
    Topics:

More like Cherry Jones lol.

When she wins the Oscar for a 30-second performance…

Emmys FYC: Jean Smart.

Profile picture
    George Ehret
    Topics:

tbh, the movie just has to be at least half decent and some competition has to fall out and she could win. Chastain seems like the type of person who will win Best Actress when the time is right considering she almost won for Zero Dark Thirty

FYC
    Best Picture: The Worst Person in the World
    Best Director: Jane Campion
    Best Actor: Benedict Cumberbatch
    Best Actress: Renate Reinsve
    Best Supporting Actor: Benedict Wong
    Best Supporting Actress: Kirsten Dunst
    Best Adapted Screenplay: The Power of the Dog
    Best Original Screenplay: The Worst Person in the World

Profile picture
    diego
    Topics:

Why on earth does Discussing Film have Eternals in BP? That’s crazy.

Discussing Film is run by Marvel stans. They’ll probably keep it until they have to take it out.

Profile picture
    diego
    Topics:

Anyway updating some preds (just nominees, not winners)

Best Actress
    • Jessica Chastain, The Eyes of Tammy Faye
    • Ana de Armas, Blonde
    • Lady Gaga, House of Gucci
    • Jennifer Hudson, Respect
    • Frances McDormand, The Tragedy of Macbeth

Best Supporting Actress 
    • Cate Blanchett, Nightmare Alley
    • Toni Collette, Nightmare Alley
    • Ann Dowd, Mass
    • Kirsten Dunst, Power of the Dog
    • Jayne Houdyshell, The Humans

Profile picture
    Topics:
    This post was found to be inappropriate by the moderators and has been removed.
Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 472 total)

The topic ‘Very Early 2022 Oscar Predictions (Part 13)’ is closed to new replies.