Home Forums Movies Very Early 2022 Oscar Predictions (Part 13)

Very Early 2022 Oscar Predictions (Part 13)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 106 through 120 (of 483 total)
Created
1 month ago
Last Reply
1 month ago
( +1 hidden )
replies
views
users
George Ehret
Jajajajjaja
loudtoilet
  • Profile picture
    diego
    Topics:

Anyway updating some preds (just nominees, not winners)

Best Actress
    • Jessica Chastain, The Eyes of Tammy Faye
    • Ana de Armas, Blonde
    • Lady Gaga, House of Gucci
    • Jennifer Hudson, Respect
    • Frances McDormand, The Tragedy of Macbeth

Best Supporting Actress 
    • Cate Blanchett, Nightmare Alley
    • Toni Collette, Nightmare Alley
    • Ann Dowd, Mass
    • Kirsten Dunst, Power of the Dog
    • Jayne Houdyshell, The Humans

Profile picture
    Croman
    Topics:

I have some faith that Mass can take off because apparently Bleecker does know what they have on their hands and is gonna campaign it, that was confirmed to me by one of the film’s producers (the same one who told me that Bleecker Street picked it up before it was officially announced). That said, I don’t have enough faith in the movie to put it in Picture. I would like it to get at least one or two nominations, which is totally possible but we’ll see.

Yeah it just needs good word of mouth where people simply just watch it. No amount of written reviews, videos, reactions etc. can accurately describe how phenomenal the acting is. I think people are dismissing it because they think it’s just another The Assistant or Captain Fantastic handled by Bleecker St. I honestly don’t see the point of the Actors branch or SAG or whatever if they don’t at least nominate Plimpton and Dowd.

Profile picture
    Calvin
    Topics:

And you’re kind of misrepresenting my point on diversity. My argument is that the lack of diversity isn’t so much the Academy’s fault so much as it is the industry who does not employ as many black actresses in lead roles, compared to white actresses, unless it’s a film about slavery or racism.

Point taken, my apologies.

Still celebrating Supporting Actress - Youn Yuh-jung (Minari)

FYC Emmys: The Underground Railroad

Profile picture
    sarahvsmovies
    Topics:

Flag Day has a release date, if anyone is interested in that. Can’t say I really am, but: https://deadline.com/2021/06/sean-penn-flag-day-lands-summer-release-1234775699/

I don’t see Power of the Dog being a Hillbilly Elegy  level miss — or at least I sure hope not, yikes — but it’s on my shortlist of highly predicted films I think are in danger of significantly underperforming current expectations in the end. The Last Duel, Don’t Look Up, and House of Gucci being the others. Well, maybe not HOG because of the power of Gaga, but I’m skeptical it goes across the board with nominations. I also wonder about Macbeth; I could see it potentially being an acting vehicle only, even with Joel Coen directing. We’ll see, I also don’t expect all of these to wind up underperforming. Interesting year.

Profile picture
    RIDLEY SCOTT
    Topics:

Bright Star got okay reviews. It’s a 6.9 on IMDb, for instance. And An Angel at My Table got very good reviews, but it wasn’t nominated for any Oscars… This is kind of my point. Even then, though, take those two out of the equation and how many other well-reviewed ones can you name? Holy Smoke! and The Portrait Of A Lady got poor reviews and In The Cut was pretty much panned. I don’t see why there is so much faith here. There’s one Oscar-nominated masterpiece from 27 years ago and one well-reviewed film before that. Then there is a film with a lukewarm response – Bright Star. Then there’s a TV show that won a few Emmys – which she co-directed, even if she is credited as co-creator. But then they are interspersed with just as many (if not more) duds. On the whole, my point is I don’t think we should have so much faith in Jane Campion. It might be good, but it might be bad. Her awards record is pretty shabby as well. Even the ones that got better reviews didn’t get in. As I said before, Top Of The Lake is a good omen, but anyone who is putting Jane Campion in their Top 5 for director are gambling a bit, never mind the people who are suggesting her winning. And you’re kind of misrepresenting my point on diversity. My argument is that the lack of diversity isn’t so much the Academy’s fault so much as it is the industry who does not employ as many black actresses in lead roles, compared to white actresses, unless it’s a film about slavery or racism.

That’s a great point. The lead roles for black women in big movies are almost zero. Viola Davis said that when she won her Emmy and she was right

Profile picture
    Champs12
    Topics:

Dont know whats the deal. I think Eternals has great chances of being nominated for BP. Eternals looks like will tackle themes like religion, god and the final judgement of earth. A different kind of judgement. I dont feel like explaining. Just imagine God and final judgement. A religious final judgement in a way. If this movie is amazing, with a November date, the Academy might try to push it. Just imagine that ensemble  in the ceremony. Again, with a November date the movie will be Fresh in people minds.

Also. I think it is almost 100% sure that Oscars 2022 will have a bigger audience no matter what than last year. This season there a lot bigger movies. Thats why I wont be surprised if the Academy pushes Dune and Eternals if they are amazing movies. Thats a huge hook to watch the Oscars 2022. I dont know if this kind of thing happens. But lets see

Profile picture
    LA26
    Topics:

Ridley Scott has started doing storyboards for Kitbag, according to a THR interview. If The Last Duel is 100% finished (he said he would deliver a final cut this past February in a January interview with The Guardian), wonder when promo will start and when we’ll get first look photos. Strange he wasn’t asked about where he’s at with the film. We know House of Gucci is still in post. Quote: RIDLEY SCOTT I’ll show you. I’m working on [a film about Napoleon Bonaparte]. It’s starting with a snowball fight in Corsica. I want Napoleon as a young boy to put a stone inside a snowball because he’s losing the fight to the other boys in his military school. He fights dirty. So I draw that out. It fits the location I’ve already found in Malta, a fantastic Napoleonic courtyard. But it all starts with a great script [by David Scarpa]. The script is inspiring. I read it, and I started drawing, which means I’m filming already. Source: https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/tv/tv-news/ridley-scott-raised-by-wolves-1234965758/

Profile picture
    Harmen Moes
    Topics:

No. Steven Caple Jr.

🥳🥳🥳

Profile picture
    loudtoilet
    Topics:

Dont know whats the deal. I think Eternals has great chances of being nominated for BP. Eternals looks like will tackle themes like religion, god and the final judgement of earth. A different kind of judgement. I dont feel like explaining. Just imagine God and final judgement. A religious final judgement in a way. If this movie is amazing, with a November date, the Academy might try to push it. Just imagine that ensemble in the ceremony. Again, with a November date the movie will be Fresh in people minds. Also. I think it is almost 100% sure that Oscars 2022 will have a bigger audience no matter what than last year. This season there a lot bigger movies. Thats why I wont be surprised if the Academy pushes Dune and Eternals if they are amazing movies. Thats a huge hook to watch the Oscars 2022. I dont know if this kind of thing happens. But lets see

Eternals has nothing to do with God. It’s about aliens who are already part of MCU (seen in GOTG in a certain way). Marvel ain’t that deep.

I also wouldn’t count on big movies winning just because ratings were terrible. They may nominate some cause 10 spots should have space for 1-2 well-reviewed biggies. But AMPAS will vote for whatever they like the best. I mean, Oscars 2021 had some narratives that people here though were guaranteed wins and they absolutely didn’t pan out. Same goes for nominees. There was a lot of “this is the year to nominate _______” and they didn’t and “this is the year to award ______” and they didn’t. So we may speculate about the need for big movies but that may not be what AMPAS members think.

Profile picture
    Champs12
    Topics:

Eternals has nothing to do with God. It’s about aliens who are already part of MCU (seen in GOTG in a certain way). Marvel ain’t that deep. I also wouldn’t count on big movies winning just because ratings were terrible. They may nominate some cause 10 spots should have space for 1-2 well-reviewed biggies. But AMPAS will vote for whatever they like the best. I mean, Oscars 2021 had some narratives that people here though were guaranteed wins and they absolutely didn’t pan out. Same goes for nominees. There was a lot of “this is the year to nominate _______” and they didn’t and “this is the year to award ______” and they didn’t. So we may speculate about the need for big movies but that may not be what AMPAS members think.

In the comics, the Eternals were the gods everyone prays for.  They were the gods Egypt prayed for, every religion. They were the responsibles for all the religious myths. They were the ones that started things. Theyre not aliens. They were created by aliens beings. They are perfected humans. Perfect human experimentations. This was Kirby run. Not saying they will follow 100% but we will see something similar

Profile picture
    loudtoilet
    Topics:

Well, they aren’t perfected humans in the movie, 100%. The synopsis leaked and was confirmed in trailer.

Profile picture
    Champs12
    Topics:

Well, they aren’t perfected humans in the movie, 100%. The synopsis leaked and was confirmed in trailer.

Exactly. Thousands of years passing, they started to develop. The Eternals of beggining   of times were perfect beings. But as everyone, their human side prevails. Just like every human, they cant be perfect.

Profile picture
    Igor Alves
    Topics:

Bright Star got okay reviews. It’s a 6.9 on IMDb, for instance. And An Angel at My Table got very good reviews, but it wasn’t nominated for any Oscars…

Idk why you’re using IMDb’s user score to measure reviews. It has 81 on metacritic and 82% on rotten tomatoes, it got much better reviews than just “okay”.

Profile picture
    fefface
    Topics:

Respect has an original song.

Presumably end credits because honestly who needs an original song in an Aretha biopic. Maybe the most obvious attempted Oscar grab of the year.

Profile picture
    George Ehret
    Topics:

Eternals just seems way too Marvel-y to get a Picture nomination, and it doesn’t have a Black Panther element that could put it in that conversation. Just because Chloe Zhao is coming off Best Picture and Director Oscars it doesn’t mean that the film that comes out six months later is automatically gonna get nominated. Eternals ain’t it.

Oscar winners Emerald Fennell Daniel Kaluuya and Youn Yuh-jung

#StopAsianHate

Viewing 15 posts - 106 through 120 (of 483 total)

The topic ‘Very Early 2022 Oscar Predictions (Part 13)’ is closed to new replies.