Home Forums Movies Very Early 2022 Oscar Predictions (Part 2)

Very Early 2022 Oscar Predictions (Part 2)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 376 through 390 (of 513 total)
Created
3 months ago
Last Reply
4 weeks ago
replies
views
users
wolfali
schmids
fefface
  • Profile picture
    sissyfritz
    Topics:

I wouldn’t read too much into films being pushed to the fall this year.  Normally a move to October/November indicates an awards push, but over the past few weeks there has been a mass exodus of films (of all genres and budget) from the spring/summer, covering just about every major studio.  By next week, there may be even more changes, especially since we haven’t really heard from Disney yet.

It’s clear that many studios aren’t confident in the spring/summer box office, so who knows who many of the current predicted awards favourites will actually come out in 2021.

Profile picture
    Victor
    Topics:

Kristen looks unrecognizable

Profile picture
    Brayden Fitzsimmons
    Topics:

Stewart vs the real life Diana

Stewart

Profile picture
    Jajajajjaja
    Topics:

First look at Kristen Stewart as Diana

Whoa this year race in lead category is going to be crowded as hell. I expect some leads like Blanchett and Dunst will got frauded into supporting.

I cant say anything about Blonde yet, I dont expect De Armas to be a big player or big netflix priority. It could be Pieces of a Woman or perhaps Malcolm and Marie or even weirder Devil All The Time.

Time to reevaluate my delusion level for rooting for both Soho ladies (McKenzie and Taylor-Joy bcs i love them so much)+Edgar Wright looking on how crowded these categories lol.

Profile picture
    vinny
    Topics:

If Elvis doesn’t get Hanks Oscar nominated I’d be shocked. Parker was definately something……and if he taps into it that could be the performance of the year. Don’t wanna spoil anything just assusme Parker was a jerk yet a genius.

Profile picture
    SN
    Topics:

Kristen looks great. If The Crown wasn’t a problem for Gary Oldman, I don’t think it’ll be a problem for her.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Kristen looks great. If The Crown wasn’t a problem for Gary Oldman, I don’t think it’ll be a problem for her too.

I am looking forward to Spencer but these are two very  different situations. Kristen has a harder path than Oldman did.

FYC OSCARS : PROMISING YOUNG WOMAN IN ALL CATEGORIES (ESP. ACTRESS – Carey Mulligan AND ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY — EMERALD FENNELL), VANESSA KIRBY FOR "PIECES OF A WOMAN", ESSIE DAVIS FOR "BABYTEETH"

Profile picture
    puck05
    Topics:

The cinematographer of Spencer is the same cinematographer from Portrait of a Lady on Fire. Pablo Larrain’s directing was outstanding in Jackie, I’m so excited for this film. Sally Hawkins’ casting makes it even better.

Profile picture
    SN
    Topics:

I am looking forward to Spencer but these are two very different situations. Kristen has a harder path than Oldman did.

The only difference is that Oldman was a veteran.

I don’t think she’s gonna win like him, but a nomination won’t be a problem if the film is good.

Profile picture
    Victor
    Topics:

Patrízia Regianni (AKA Lady Gaga’s alter ego for the movie) likes the superstar

Patrizia, but is it true that Lady Gaga will bring your character to life on the screen?

“Yes, it’s true, it will be her and I like it.”

It seems like karma: you have always lived to the max. Maximum luxury, houses of a thousand square meters, boats, travel, then the jail, in San Vittore, in a cell of two meters by three, three prisoners in six square meters. And now that they make a movie about you, it will be Lady Gaga, the absolute star of the moment, to bring your character to life.

“It’s true, it takes effect, really karma.”

The director is Ridley Scott, Gianina Facio’s husband, who we both knew thirty years ago when he lived in Milan and was Fiorello’s girlfriend.

“I remember, he’s a crazy director. They came to my house, to ask, to know, but at that time my mother Silvana was still there, she was adamant, it was a no all along the line ”.

Do you like Lady Gaga?

“Immensely. Who doesn’t like her? She is a genius, at the age of four she was already playing the piano like Mozart and was the youngest student admitted to Columbia University in New York ”.

I’m just dead 💀

Profile picture
    Butz
    Topics:

The cinematographer of Spencer is the same cinematographer from Portrait of a Lady on Fire. Pablo Larrain’s directing was outstanding in Jackie, I’m so excited for this film. Sally Hawkins’ casting makes it even better.

On the one hand that’s great because PoaLoF looked fantastic but on the other hand I’m a little disappointed that Larrain doesn’t work with Sergio Armstrong on this project. His work in Ema was just beautiful.

FYC:

Lead Actor: Mads Mikkelsen (Another Round)

Supporting Actress: Maria Bakalova (Borat Subsequent Moviefilm)

Supporting Actor: Paul Raci (Sound of Metal)

-----------------------------

Letterboxd: Ray_In_Bruges

Profile picture
    Miles
    Topics:

To be fair, while that it is a strong sounding cast, there’s been talk that a lot of them will just be cameos.

All the people I named do not have cameos.

Profile picture
    puck05
    Topics:

Ariana Grande and Timothee Chalamet’s roles have been announced as cameos.

Profile picture
    Miles
    Topics:

I read a version of the script and Ariana Grande’s role is 100% a cameo (which is why I didn’t name her) while Timothee Chalamet is in a couple of scenes.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

The only difference is that Oldman was a veteran. I don’t think she’s gonna win like him, but a nomination won’t be a problem if the film is good.

That’s not the only difference.

I think Stewart is a phenomenal actress and she looks like she could be phenomenal in the role but what is worth baring in mind is that there had been many other portrayals of Winston Churchill before John Lithgow portrayed him on The Crown. And Churchill isn’t as beloved a figure as Diana is or a figure that has as much public attention as her. Lithgow was excellent but his performance wasn’t necessarily “the unquestionably definitive” portrayal of the character. So there wasn’t really that much of an impact there to be made on Oldman’s Oscar chances. Oldman was also an overdue veteran in his baitiest and most transformative performance of his career.

Up until Emma Corrin in The Crown each performance given of Princess Diana has either been negatively received or in a critical dud. Emma Corrin’s performance is not only acclaimed to the skies but it is her career defining performance. When she’ll be talked about in the future she’ll be seen as “the actress who became famous for transforming into Princess Diana” just like some are talking about Claire Foy as “the actress who became famous for transforming into the young Queen”. In fact some people have said on Twitter that when they look at pictures of her in character as Diana side by side with the actual Diana it’s hard for them to distinguish which one is which. That’s how much of an impact her performance has had. Neither Oldman nor Lithgow’s performances were career defining and neither are seen as “Churchill”. The season of The Crown that Lithgow starred in also didn’t have anywhere as much as the pop cultural impact as this one has had (3rd in Nielsen rankings of all streaming shows in the world in 2020).

Stewart is an excellent actress and one of the most talented of her generation. Don’t get me wrong there. I thought she was phenomenal in that trashy Seberg film. However she’s not only going to face the hurdle of people remembering “the real Diana” but also the hurdle of people (especially younger people who cannot remember the real Lady Di) having Corrin’s performance in recent memory (and even more recent memory if she wins her Emmy at the same time as this film’s premiere). In timing it’s as deadly as if someone decided to make another Edith Piaf biopic in French the year after Marion Cotillard won the Oscar.

Can Stewart overcome this? Potentially. Will she deliver performance-wise? Probably. But there’s no denying she faces a tonne more hurdles than Oldman did for Darkest Hour because of The Crown.

FYC OSCARS : PROMISING YOUNG WOMAN IN ALL CATEGORIES (ESP. ACTRESS – Carey Mulligan AND ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY — EMERALD FENNELL), VANESSA KIRBY FOR "PIECES OF A WOMAN", ESSIE DAVIS FOR "BABYTEETH"

Viewing 15 posts - 376 through 390 (of 513 total)

The topic ‘Very Early 2022 Oscar Predictions (Part 2)’ is closed to new replies.