Home Forums Movies Very Early 2022 Oscar Predictions (Part 2)

Very Early 2022 Oscar Predictions (Part 2)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 496 through 510 (of 513 total)
Created
4 months ago
Last Reply
3 months ago
replies
views
users
wolfali
schmids
fefface
  • Profile picture
    fefface
    Topics:

I think In the Heights will be a big contender. I don’t think it’ll win anything above the line, but it seems like it’ll be the type of Black Panther-esque cultural phenomenon that combines critical praise and popular hype. Especially because this year is lacking in really any feel-good contenders, voters will be itching for something fun and bright and inspiring as the world begins its shift back to normal, and this’ll fit the bill. The Academy doesn’t love musical performances in Actor as much, but I think Ramos will squeeze in. They’ll also almost definitely be giving Lin-Manuel the Oscar for the original song (and it’ll be a great moment for them when this year’s winner Leslie Odom Jr. is able to present and hand it off to his former co-star).

This is a fair assessment but there are a few things working against it – next year is going to be crowded for musicals and In the Heights has the earliest release date of them all.

It will definitely get the Original Song nom and the feel-good factor is a consideration but it will have to maintain massive momentum to get in outside the categories where musicals do tend to show up.

Even in Actor – no actor has won for a true musical since like 1960ish, and Ramos will be up against Ben Platt, Adam Driver etc just for the nom. Obviously I haven’t seen any of their films, but just on instinct I’d put both of them ahead of him at this point.

Profile picture
    M: The Original
    Topics:

I was hoping the reshuffle of AMPAS would prevent the return of David O Russell and his obnoxious pantomimes…does anyone with a straight face still enjoy his movies?

His worst movies are the ones embraced by the Academy.

Profile picture
    RIDLEY SCOTT
    Topics:

<p style=”text-align: left;”>Predictions (Oscars 2022)</p> Best Director: Jon M. Chu (In The Heights) Nattawut Poonpiriya (One For The Road) Wes Anderson (The French Dispatch Denis Villenueve (Dune) Sian Heder (CODA) next-in-line: Guillermo Del Toro (Nightmare Alley) Adam McKay (Don’t Look Up) Joel Coen (The Tragedy Of Macbeth) Edgar Wright (Last Night In Soho) Joe Wright (The Woman In The Window)

Director will be very crowded. There are 15 possible contenders. And we are forgetting Spielberg and Ridley Scott. What about Paul Thomas Anderson?

Profile picture
    Stank83
    Topics:

Actor:

1. Will Smith (King Richard)
    2. Adam Driver (Annette)
    3. Christian Bale (Amsterdam)
    4. Leonardo DiCaprio (Don’t Look Up)
    5. Denzel Washington (The Tragedy of Macbeth)

Profile picture
    DestinyFulfilled
    Topics:

Wow… This must have awards potential if Apple buys the movie for that amount of money…

https://deadline.com/2021/01/coda-apple-record-deal-2021-sundance-film-festival-north-of-twenty-five-million-dollars-1234683970/

Profile picture
    Heptapod
    Topics:

This is a fair assessment but there are a few things working against it – next year is going to be crowded for musicals and In the Heights has the earliest release date of them all.

I actually think that’ll be best for it. Audiences might end up in musical fatigue by the end of the year, but In the Heights will be the first one on the scene, so it won’t have to rise above the other ones.

Profile picture
    fefface
    Topics:

I actually think that’ll be best for it. Audiences might end up in musical fatigue by the end of the year, but In the Heights will be the first one on the scene, so it won’t have to rise above the other ones.

Yeah but the general public are not Oscar voters. So it might do the best box office or streaming numbers, but that often doesn’t mean anything when it comes to award nominations.

When it comes to award nominations it will have to rise above the others, as it will have to remain memorable the longest and not be overshadowed.

Profile picture
    SN
    Topics:

We know almost every year we have ONE contender from Sundance. CODA could be the one next season.

Profile picture
    fefface
    Topics:

We know almost every year we have ONE contender from Sundance. CODA could be the one next season.

Definitely! Over the last few years not many films have made the leap from Sundance to the Oscars but you’re right, there is usually one.

I wouldn’t necessarily look at how much Apple has paid for it as an indicator, as there are definitely films that have been acquired for big money and then flopped, but the early chatter definitely sounds good.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

I wouldn’t necessarily look at how much Apple has paid for it as an indicator, as there are definitely films that have been acquired for big money and then flopped, but the early chatter definitely sounds good.

Yep like Malcolm and Marie.

FYC Emmys: "The Crown" in all categories, "I May Destroy You" in all categories, "It's a Sin" in all categories, "Small Axe" in all categories, Billie Piper ("I Hate Suzie"), Yvonne Strahovski ("Stateless") and Ruth Wilson ("His Dark Materials")

Profile picture
    24fanatic
    Topics:

Wow… This must have awards potential if Apple buys the movie for that amount of money…

https://deadline.com/2021/01/coda-apple-record-deal-2021-sundance-film-festival-north-of-twenty-five-million-dollars-1234683970/

I watched it Day 1 of Sundance. It definitely could be a factor. It’s a crowd pleasing movie that will make you laugh and cry. It really sets itself apart with its inclusion of deaf characters. It does suffer slightly from a couple of coming of age cliches, but I didn’t mind. I did love it.

It’s chances at Oscar noms (in my opinion):

Best Picture
    Best Supporting Actor – Troy Kotsur
    Best Supporting Actress – Marlee Matlin (although not as great as Troy… I’m assuming being a former winner might help her score a nom)
    Best Adapted Screenplay
    Best Original Song (performed by star Emilia Jones)

Profile picture
    jjjmoss1
    Topics:

it’d be nice if matlin left the one and done club

Profile picture
    Luca
    Topics:

“Mass” is getting some very, very good notices. Can we please make Ann Dowd happen? I’ll gladly run her campaign!

Profile picture
    Topics:
    This post was found to be inappropriate by the moderators and has been removed.
    Profile picture
    jjjmoss1
    Topics:

May have been discussed already, but do people think the eligibility will be

March-December 2021?

Or March 2021-February 2022, giving a full 12 months? COVID is still raging strong with many theatres still closed.

Viewing 15 posts - 496 through 510 (of 513 total)

The topic ‘Very Early 2022 Oscar Predictions (Part 2)’ is closed to new replies.