Home Forums Movies Very Early 2022 Oscar Predictions (Part 3)

Very Early 2022 Oscar Predictions (Part 3)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 331 through 345 (of 516 total)
Created
2 months ago
Last Reply
2 months ago
replies
views
users
wolfali
fefface
schmids
  • Profile picture
    Sir Pierce
    Topics:

demy leans towards. As evidenced by Joaquin Phoenix’s win, through Carey Mulligan’s potential win, Parasite‘s BP win, Moonlight‘s BP win. No longer are we in the era where having an Oscar bait biopic is what you need to win (that’s not to say Oscar bait biopics don’t win anymore because look at Green Book

Hm… Interesting point. But I think Joker and Parasite, in particular, were very much embraced by audiences. And Promising Young Woman and Moonlight were, also, accessible, even if the subject mater is more deep and treated in a more uncomfortable way than say a Green Book.

My impression of Annette, given the director’s past work, is that it will probably be a great film, but it won’t be a major Oscar player. (And, in all honesty, I wouldn’t be surprised if it were a case where Driver would deserve an Oscar). I think there’s a chance for Driver to get the sort of Banderas in Pain & Glory or Defoe in At Eternity’s Gate kind of slot.

Comparatively, Denzel seems like the easy frontrunner to me. There are few parts meatier for an actor than that of Shakespeare. And Denzel has an unparalleled on-screen gravitas. I think there is a chance this might be one of, if not the, best works he will ever do. And it’s the Coens as well, who have gotten career-best performances out of Oscar Isaac, George Clooney, Frances MacDormand and Javier Bardem, to name a few.

A very annoying young man, who loves cinema. 🙂

Twitter: https://twitter.com/pierce_sir
    Letterboxd: https://letterboxd.com/11higuys/

Profile picture
    Sir Pierce
    Topics:

Deadline Hollywood said David Fincher, Michael Fassbender and the writer of SE7EN are making a New Thriller

Ayy. Seems with this and Next Goal Wins that Fassbender is making a career-comeback after the slump of drivel he did after Steve Jobs.

A very annoying young man, who loves cinema. 🙂

Twitter: https://twitter.com/pierce_sir
    Letterboxd: https://letterboxd.com/11higuys/

Profile picture
    Igor Alves
    Topics:

This is impossible. Cumberbatch is not just the lead character in the story, he IS the story. His character’s tension & relationship with Dunst is a way for the story to get out. The entire novel is not just Cumberbatch’s character all the time, but also it is about probing who this man really is (and to a lesser degree, who Kirsten Dunst’s character really is). Not to mention—if Cumberbatch goes supporting here, he’ll get in the way of Jesse Plemons & Kodi Smit-McPhee, the former of whom is an it-actor, the latter who has an incredible supporting character that will be nominated unless Smit-McPhee egregiously screws it up. The more interesting case is that Kirsten Dunst may be able to go either lead or supporting. It’s not totally clear-cut even in the novel, even though her character is the only one outside of Cumberbatch’s who has a journey separate from the other main characters. In all likelihood, she’s going to look very much like a Lead Actress because Campion is probably going to elevate her character’s presence even more than it already is, but I can see Netflix doing it based on which is more likely. The reason I think Campion’s beefing up Kirsten Dunst’s character even more is because I just found out that the character Thomasin Mackenzie is playing is a character who is in conversation with only Dunst’s character very briefly (a few pages) in the novel. I doubt Mackenzie would merely make a cameo.

Oh interesting, thanks for this. I was so curious about it.  Hoping Dunst gets that nom and I don’t care if she goes lead or supp, just get that nom (or win) lol.

Profile picture
    RIDLEY SCOTT
    Topics:

Ayy. Seems with this and Next Goal Wins that Fassbender is making a career-comeback after the slump of drivel he did after Steve Jobs.

It’s about Killers. Fassbender will play an assassin. I think Fassbender is at his finest when he plays cold. He was great and really Underrated in PROMETHEUS and COVENANT

Profile picture
    kaziz
    Topics:

Oh interesting, thanks for this. I was so curious about it.  Hoping Dunst gets that nom and I don’t care if she goes lead or supp, just get that nom (or win) lol.

Yeah lol I think we can all agree that’s the most important thing we’re hoping for. I’m not clamoring for Benedict Cumberbatch to win, and Jesse Plemons will come in time anyway. Dunst needs to win, like, 20 years ago lol

Profile picture
    kaziz
    Topics:

It’s about Killers. Fassbender will play an assassin. I think Fassbender is at his finest when he plays cold. He was great and really Underrated in PROMETHEUS and COVENANT

Isn’t that the problem thought? He gets typecast as cold. Sure he’s great at it, but playing cold after playing robots, Steve Jobs, and steely Magneto time after time doesn’t exactly scream “look at his range!”

Profile picture
    RIDLEY SCOTT
    Topics:

Isn’t that the problem thought? He gets typecast as cold. Sure he’s great at it, but playing cold after playing robots, Steve Jobs, and steely Magneto time after time doesn’t exactly scream “look at his range!”

I agree. But some really great actors play usually the same: Tom Hanks is always the every ordinary man, Denzel and Russell Crowe only play powerful, successful Manly Men.

Profile picture
    Melvinezq
    Topics:

Shame and Steve Jobs couldn’t be more different. Plus, we’re going to have Next Goal Wins.

Profile picture
    RIDLEY SCOTT
    Topics:

Fassbender is liked by A List Directors: Ridley Scott, Steve McQueen, etc…. So it’s still easy for Fassbender to get great films. Great films at least on paper

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

This Paramount+ news is interesting because they seem to be doing the 45 days after release model for their films being released in the Autumn. Even though the general line of thinking is that we’ll be in a better situation with Covid by then.

Still props to them for committing to the box office still and not premiering on the same day model.

FYC Emmys: "The Crown" in all categories, "I May Destroy You" in all categories, "It's a Sin" in all categories, "Small Axe" in all categories, Billie Piper ("I Hate Suzie"), Yvonne Strahovski ("Stateless") and Ruth Wilson ("His Dark Materials")

Profile picture
    kaziz
    Topics:

I agree. But some really great actors play usually the same: Tom Hanks is always the every ordinary man, Denzel and Russell Crowe only play powerful, successful Manly Men.

I see your point but it really depends on the nuance of the role. Denzel in Fences nowhere screams powerful or successful. That said, I root for Fassbender. He was incredible in Shame and if it’s a good role….yeah

Profile picture
    walkinuniverse
    Topics:

Deadline Hollywood said David Fincher, Michael Fassbender and the writer of SE7EN are making a New Thriller

He’s really ditching Mindhunter now. 😒

Profile picture
    walkinuniverse
    Topics:

I think we’ll see a chaotic and dramatic Michael Fassbender in Next Goal Wins instead of the cold villainy roles from blockbuster films like X-Men and Alien.

Plus its been proven how the Academy embraces performances from sport dramas in the past decade.

Profile picture
    Lucas
    Topics:

Very exciting news about Fincher. But he’s never winning an Oscar, isn’t he 😔

FYC

Best Actor: Mads Mikkelsen (Another Round)

Best Actress: Carey Mulligan (Promising Young Woman)

Profile picture
    RIDLEY SCOTT
    Topics:

He’s really ditching Mindhunter now. 😒

Fincher said Mindhunter was expensive and its Netflix viewing numbers were too low. I think it’s the truth because his new Thriller starring Fassbender is produced by Netflix too.

Viewing 15 posts - 331 through 345 (of 516 total)

The topic ‘Very Early 2022 Oscar Predictions (Part 3)’ is closed to new replies.