Home Forums Movies Very Early 2022 Oscar Predictions (Part 3)

Very Early 2022 Oscar Predictions (Part 3)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 406 through 420 (of 516 total)
Created
2 months ago
Last Reply
1 month ago
replies
views
users
wolfali
fefface
schmids
  • Profile picture
    Rmcd8
    Topics:

It hadn’t occurred to me at all that Frances could go supporting. That seems particularly insane but it could make sense, and I suppose worse frauds have occurred.

Are there any actual hard rules on category placement that we know of?

Profile picture
    schmids
    Topics:

It hadn’t occurred to me at all that Frances could go supporting. That seems particularly insane but it could make sense, and I suppose worse frauds have occurred. Are there any actual hard rules on category placement that we know of?

No. No official rules. And IIRC even if someone gets campaigned in Supporting, voters can put them in Lead.

Personally I don’t think it’s likely that Frances will be Supporting, but I do see where fefface is coming from as she does pretty much vanish for a big chunk of the action (in the play as written anyway).

She’s such a huge presence and has such great material though that I think she’s Lead regardless, and I imagine the role will be beefed up even more to give her more screen time and true Lead status.

Profile picture
    walkinuniverse
    Topics:

I am a bit skeptical about The Tragedy of Macbeth for a few significant reasons like Joel Coen doing this project on his own and Ethan Coen not being a part of it. Also, there have been many adaptations of Macbeth in the past so I am not particularly sure how this will offer something new and unique to the Shakespearean tragedy. I’ve read an article where Joel said in an interview that 85% of this adaptation will stay true to the original Shakespearean text.

I guess the concept of it being shot in black and white with Denzel Washington and Frances McDormand in lead is the unique aspect of it?

Profile picture
    fefface
    Topics:

I guess the concept of it being shot in black and white with Denzel Washington and Frances McDormand in lead is the unique aspect of it?

The caliber of the actors is the selling point. There’s at least one baity movie shot in black and white every year now so I don’t think that’s particularly unique or interesting any more.

Profile picture
    Vicki Leekx
    Topics:

Remember when people thought the Fassbender/Cotillard version of Macbeth would be an awards player?

FYC:

Vitalina Varela, Vitalina Varela (Actress)
    Andrea Riseborough, Karim Saleh, Possessor/Luxor (Actress, Actor)
    Rosamund Pike, Peter Dinklage, I Care a Lot (Actress, Supporting Actor)
    Jim Broadbent, Helen Mirren, The Duke (Actor, Supporting Actress)
    Sophia Loren, Abril Zamora, The Life Ahead (Actress, Supporting Actress)
    Carey Mulligan, Promising Young Woman (Actress)

Profile picture
    walkinuniverse
    Topics:

The caliber of the actors is the selling point. There’s at least one baity movie shot in black and white every year now so I don’t think that’s particularly unique or interesting any more.

I don’t doubt the actors caliber here. I think they could very well give good performances and maybe get a few nods but if it this adaptation fails to offer something new to the story, then I’m afraid it will not be that big of a contender. I might be wrong though if it turns to be great. For now, I am trying to temper my expectations.

The Coens hasn’t been delivering so far in the past decade aside from Buster Scruggs and Hail, Ceasar. Although, Inside Llewyn Davis was kinda good.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Remember when people thought the Fassbender/Cotillard version of Macbeth would be an awards player?

The problem that one had was it tanked at the box office and didn’t star performers of a calibre as high as Denzel Washington and Frances McDormand. It also wasn’t directed by Joel Cohen or distributed by A24.

I understand the comparison but I think they are two different situations.

FYC Emmys: "The Crown" in all categories, "I May Destroy You" in all categories, "It's a Sin" in all categories, "Small Axe" in all categories, Billie Piper ("I Hate Suzie"), Yvonne Strahovski ("Stateless") and Ruth Wilson ("His Dark Materials")

Profile picture
    walkinuniverse
    Topics:

Remember when people thought the Fassbender/Cotillard version of Macbeth would be an awards player?

This.

Another reason why I am doubting its chances.

Profile picture
    fefface
    Topics:

I’m not sure it’s directly comparable to the Cotillard/Fassbender version as it has a much bigger director and distributor going for it, plus it’s a pair of double Oscar winners in the leads.

You are right that it might not be fresh enough to hit with audiences and voters, but it will probably grab a few noms regardless.

On paper Denzel is probably the one to beat at this (very early) stage.

Profile picture
    walkinuniverse
    Topics:

I’m not sure it’s directly comparable to the Cotillard/Fassbender version as it has a much bigger director and distributor going for it, plus it’s a pair of double Oscar winners in the leads.

You are right that it might not be fresh enough to hit with audiences and voters, but it will probably grab a few noms regardless.

On paper Denzel is probably the one to beat at this (very early) stage.

Denzel will probably get nominated but he isn’t the one to beat even on paper.

Profile picture
    fefface
    Topics:

Denzel will probably get nominated but he isn’t the one to beat even on paper.

Respected previous winner playing iconic Shakespearean character for a respected writer-director looks pretty Oscar-friendly on paper to me.

Interested to see who you think is, in that case.

Profile picture
    SN
    Topics:

The problem that one had was it tanked at the box office and didn’t star performers of a calibre as high as Denzel Washington and Frances McDormand. It also wasn’t directed by Joel Cohen or distributed by A24.

I understand the comparison but I think they are two different situations.

No, the problem was Ha***y W***st**n.

Profile picture
    walkinuniverse
    Topics:

Respected previous winner playing iconic Shakespearean character for a respected writer-director looks pretty Oscar-friendly on paper to me.

Interested to see who you think is, in that case.

The last Shakespearean character that got nominated was in 1989.
    The last acting nomination for the a Coen film was 2010 with Jeff Bridges for True Grit, another Coen film, after Bridges won Best Actor a year prior.

Now try convincing me he is the frontrunner and the one to beat.

Profile picture
    fefface
    Topics:

The last Shakespearean character that got nominated was in 1989. The last acting nomination for the a Coen film was 2010 with Jeff Bridges for True Grit, another Coen film, after Bridges won Best Actor a year prior. Now try convincing me he is the frontrunner and the one to beat.

I’m not ‘trying to convince’ you of anything, so no need for the weirdly aggressive tone.

I just said why I thought it seemed like a frontrunner on paper and asked you who you think is the frontrunner if not Denzel.

Profile picture
    walkinuniverse
    Topics:

I’m not ‘trying to convince’ you of anything, so no need for the weirdly aggressive tone. I just said why I thought it seemed like a frontrunner on paper and asked you who you think is the frontrunner if not Denzel.

I apologize if it came out aggressive but for now I’m not that confident yet to declare anyone a frontrunner at this point. My gut says Adam Driver or Michael Fassbender as the frontrunners but I’m not so sure until I see a teaser or something. Though, I get the idea of Denzel’s likelihood of a nomination.

Viewing 15 posts - 406 through 420 (of 516 total)

The topic ‘Very Early 2022 Oscar Predictions (Part 3)’ is closed to new replies.