Home Forums Movies Very Early 2022 Oscar Predictions (Part 4)

Very Early 2022 Oscar Predictions (Part 4)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 498 total)
Created
1 month ago
Last Reply
3 weeks ago
replies
views
users
wolfali
fefface
schmids
  • Profile picture
    Chitanda170
    Topics:

Duel is destined by the nature of its plot to be divisive. A single misstep in how that plot is handled and it will get roasted, and there will probably be people who think it should never have been made regardless. It has a couple of things going for it but I also remain skeptical: – Nicole Holofcener was involved in writing it so I imagine Marguerite’s experience will be part of the story – the risk is that an woman becomes a plot point for a story about men, which given the specifics of the plot will go down like a lead balloon – Jodie Comer has described her character as someone who ‘risks her life and reclaims her life’ so hopefully the story focuses on her and not the shitty men around her

I think the story in kitbag will focuses on her character too, i imagine is something like Amadeus, Josephine telling stories of her life with Napoleon

Profile picture
    Rmcd8
    Topics:

Duel is destined by the nature of its plot to be divisive. A single misstep in how that plot is handled and it will get roasted, and there will probably be people who think it should never have been made regardless. It has a couple of things going for it but I also remain skeptical: – Nicole Holofcener was involved in writing it so I imagine Marguerite’s experience and agency will be a big part of the story – the risk is that a woman’s assault becomes a plot point for a story about men, which given the specifics of the plot will go down like a lead balloon – Jodie Comer has described her character as someone who ‘risks her life and reclaims her life’ so hopefully the story focuses on her and not just how she’s impacted by the shitty men around her

Interesting – I thought they were doing a more Rashomon type story for some reason, given the long debated accuracy of everyone’s account of the story. But while I think that’s creatively better, I guess that could be extremely hard to do well, the easy way to do it would be to have Comer’s character be the lead, the two men to be presented with selfish/ill-intent, and for the story to play it straight without any nuance (as in victim of a crime and wider circumstances gets justice).

Profile picture
    Melvinezq
    Topics:

Deadline reporting that Ridley Scott was so impressed with Jodie Comer in The Last Duel he wants to cast her as Josephine in Kitbag (not official news). She’s coming! Also I guess even if Duel isn’t great Scott casting both Driver and Comer in back to back movies is a good sign for performances?

What a wonderful news! She’s going to be amazing, as usual, but if her acting makes Ridley Scott, the director who saw the best of Susan Sarandon and Russell Crowe, deeply impressed, it must be worth of huge expectation.

Profile picture
    Chloe Sevigny stan <3
    Topics:

I think Jessica Chastain in The Eyes of Tammy Faye has the chance to breakthrough in a big way. She’s arguably someone who should have won an Oscar by now and is underrated in a similar way to Carey Mulligan as another actress with too few nominations and not quite enough hype surrounding her. Also, the premise of the film and the fact that she does her own singing is undeniable awards bait.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

I think what might help Chastain is she’s got Scenes From a Marriage for the Emmy season too. The crossover between the film and television awards season may play in her favour.

FYC Emmys: "The Crown" in all categories, "I May Destroy You" in all categories, "It's a Sin" in all categories, "Small Axe" in all categories, Billie Piper ("I Hate Suzie"), Yvonne Strahovski ("Stateless") and Ruth Wilson ("His Dark Materials")

Profile picture
    schmids
    Topics:
    Chitanda170
    Topics:

What a wonderful news! She’s going to be amazing, as usual, but if her acting makes Ridley Scott, the director who saw the best of Susan Sarandon and Russell Crowe, deeply impressed, it must be worth of huge expectation.

The puritans in twitter are furious with this casting, they´re already attacking Joaquin and Jodi, so sad.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Cannes is definitely going ahead in July.

FYC Emmys: "The Crown" in all categories, "I May Destroy You" in all categories, "It's a Sin" in all categories, "Small Axe" in all categories, Billie Piper ("I Hate Suzie"), Yvonne Strahovski ("Stateless") and Ruth Wilson ("His Dark Materials")

Profile picture
    RIDLEY SCOTT
    Topics:

The puritans in twitter are furious with this casting, they´re already attacking Joaquin and Jodi, so sad.

It’s not official. Even Deadline Hollywood Daily said it’s not official. I thought Josephine was going to be Rooney Mara because she is his real wife. Even his real life wife is 11 years younger than him so who cares

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

My director ranking! Following my Picture, Actor and Actress ones from the past three weeks!

I think unless their films are complete flops that Campion and Anderson are in. I anticipate both their films will win the Picture Globes, they’re both well respected by their peers and big names and I am currently predicting both their films to be top 2 players.

Edgar Wright keeps shouting out high profile directors such as Quentin Tarantino online and in zoom Q&As and interviews and he keeps interacting with or taking about his friendship with people like Sam Mendes, Bong Joon-Ho and Spike Lee online. I think unless Last Night in SoHo is very inaccessible or a dud or a flop that it’s probably a contender considering the possible push Focus may have for it, the campaigning and courting Wright is already doing and the general hype for it. I have him 3rd although I don’t think he can win.

That leavers two slots. The Academy loves Adam McKay. They snubbed the director of the Best Picture winner for his work on Vice. I have him 4th because things remain unseen with Don’t Look Up. I think Ridley Scott should stand a shot. He may have missed for All The Money in the World but he got in for The Martian so if either The Last Duel or House of Gucci are contenders I think he should have a chance at getting in. My bet is Gucci is the bigger contender whilst The Last Duel is the Holofcener/Comer vehicle.

But a lot is at flux in this race. It’s too competitive to the extent that I see no way we can have any Lee Isaac Chungs or Emerald Fennells or Florian Zellers this year. I am putting Guillermo del Toro in fifth because he’s del Toro and whilst I think Nightmare Alley will end up being this year’s <i>A Star is Born</i>/Mank/The Irishman (potential win contender that is well respected but ends up being fine with the nominations and lack of win buzz) I don’t think it should fall too much for him to drop out of the conversation.

Leos Carax and Joel Cohen should also not be bet against. I can see Carax having a similar narrative to the one I’m currently predicting Edgar Wright to ride on (niche director who has their big Oscars breakthrough). And Cohen well is Cohen and a collab between him and Frances McDormand should not be bet against.

1. Jane Campion, The Power of the Dog
    2. Wes Anderson, The French Dispatch
    3. Edgar Wright, Last Night in SoHo
    4. Adam McKay, Don’t Look Up
    5. Guillermo del Toro, Nightmare Alley

6. Ridley Scott, House of Gucci
    7. Joel Cohen, The Tragedy of Macbeth
    8. Leos Carax, Annette
    9. Ridley Scott, The Last Duel
    10. Stephen Chbosky, Dear Evan Hansen

Profile picture
    Chitanda170
    Topics:

It’s not official. Even Deadline Hollywood Daily said it’s not official. I thought Josephine was going to be Rooney Mara because she is his real wife. Even his real life wife is 11 years younger than him so who cares

Apparently they care a lot, I see they’re attacking Joaquin more, they want Chalamet now, it’s not Joaquin`s fault that Ridley wants to cast Jodi. This people is so toxic

Profile picture
    Igor Alves
    Topics:

I think Jessica Chastain in The Eyes of Tammy Faye has the chance to breakthrough in a big way. She’s arguably someone who should have won an Oscar by now and is underrated in a similar way to Carey Mulligan as another actress with too few nominations and not quite enough hype surrounding her. Also, the premise of the film and the fact that she does her own singing is undeniable awards bait.

Heard from a couple of friends who saw it that even though Chaistain is really good, the movie is very meh and basic. Sounded like failed oscar bait to me, I don’t expect her to be a big contender from what I heard.

Profile picture
    Melvinezq
    Topics:

Heard from a couple of friends who saw it that even though Chaistain is really good, the movie is very meh and basic. Sounded like failed oscar bait to me, I don’t expect her to be a big contender from what I heard.

It sounds like United States vs Billie Holiday actually. If she slays with her performance (more than three of her snubbed performance), I can say that she’s going to get that nomination. Yes, her Emmy will also push her even harder to the conversation. Plus, Tammy Faye is a huge name and this film is distributed by a huge distributor. The campaign must be massive as hell!

Profile picture
    Chloe Sevigny stan <3
    Topics:

ugh that’s annoying!! But hopefully it will prove to be a nice acting vehicle for Chastain since we know single nominee films for lead actress, and even winners, aren’t uncommon.

Profile picture
    RIDLEY SCOTT
    Topics:

Apparently they care a lot, I see they’re attacking Joaquin more, they want Chalamet now, it’s not Joaquin`s fault that Ridley wants to cast Jodi. This people is so toxic

If is a lot of people attacking, Ridley Scott will change and put an older actress. He fired Spacey because of money. He was the main Producer of All The Money in the World and he was losing his money because of the bad reputation of Spacey so he fired him. Ridley Scott is a 100% Pragmatic.

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 498 total)

The topic ‘Very Early 2022 Oscar Predictions (Part 4)’ is closed to new replies.