Home Forums Movies Very Early 2022 Oscar Predictions (Part 5)

Very Early 2022 Oscar Predictions (Part 5)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 391 through 405 (of 502 total)
Created
3 months ago
Last Reply
3 months ago
replies
views
users
wolfali
schmids
kaziz
  • Profile picture
    jjjmoss1
    Topics:

here for amy getting an overdue razzie nom

Profile picture
    Anirudh Arun
    Topics:

my Oscars 2022 (super early) prediction Actress: top 5- Amy Adams (The Woman In The Window) Ana De Armas (Blonde) Lady Gaga (House Of Gucci) Florence Pugh (Don’t Worry Darling) Jennifer Hudson (Respect) next-in-line- Glenn Close (Four Good Days) Emma Stone (Cruella) Halle Berry (Bruised) Amanda Seyfried (A Mouthful Of Air)

Is this supposed to be a joke? Amy, Glenn and Emma are coming nowhere near the golden statue. Is Glenn even lead?

Profile picture
    kaziz
    Topics:

Is Glenn even lead?

def doesn’t seem like it lol but who the hell knows, it’s not happening either way (probably…)

Profile picture
    Chitanda170
    Topics:

The “his time” narrative. If he gets nominated for Annette, this will be his third nomination in 4 years. He’s a rising star with a insane recent record of good work (Marriage Story, BlacKKKlansman, Paterson, Silence, Frances Ha, The Midnight Special, Logan Lucky, Inside Llewyn Davis) and will be on The Last Duel, House of Gucci and Annette this year so he will have a LOT of individual buzz. The guy is literally everywhere and he rarely picks the wrong movie, something people like Emma Stone and Anne Hathaway did a LOT before getting an Oscar.

If Bradley is nominated again, he will have a bigger narrative, but I have noticed the Academy don’t like thirsty actors for that golden dildo.

Profile picture
    Croman
    Topics:

Is this supposed to be a joke? Amy, Glenn and Emma are coming nowhere near the golden statue. Is Glenn even lead?

To that user’s credit though, if they had predicted Maria Bakalova in the top 5 for Borat last March, we would all say that they were crazy. With that, Adams and Oldman will be forgotten after May and Stone will be thrashed with Glenn comparisons.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

I feel like Bradley will have a similar issue he had with A Star is Born in that the role isn’t challenging enough for academy members to run up and down to award him. Even if it’s as well acted as it was in A Star is Born.

FYC Emmys: "The Crown" in all categories, "I May Destroy You" in all categories, "It's a Sin" in all categories, "Small Axe" in all categories, Billie Piper ("I Hate Suzie"), Yvonne Strahovski ("Stateless") and Ruth Wilson ("His Dark Materials")

Profile picture
    Villeneuve
    Topics:

If gucci is good, Salma is going to be it’s acting winner, I can imagine her sweeping in supporting

Profile picture
    kenny818051
    Topics:

Casting news for Being the Ricardos. It has already started principal photography. https://deadline.com/2021/03/being-the-ricardos-tony-hale-alia-shawkat-jake-lacy-casting-1234723820/

A week during the filming of I Love Lucy in which their career and marriage was threatened. I am assuming this will be about about when Lucy had to go before the House Committee of Un-American Activities for having at one point registered to vote as communist.

Profile picture
    Stank83
    Topics:

Even though I love Bale and Robbie, now i want David O’Russell’s movie to completely flop.

Profile picture
    schmids
    Topics:

Even though I love Bale and Robbie, now i want David O’Russell’s movie to completely flop.

Same, honestly. If the actors all know he’s just making an ‘Oscar submission’ as well, given they know what he’s like as a person – gives me the ick.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Someone asked about why there is some confidence around The Power of the Dog and whilst a large part of the reason is the pedigree, I think what’s worth baring in mind is what Gorman said about Netflix. Since 2018 they’ve had at least one Best Picture nominee (Roma, The Irishman, Marriage Story, The Trial of the Chicago 7, Mank) and each of those films has been from a previously nominated/winning director or a director with a well received body of work.

Jane Campion is one of the few female auteurs to have been nominated for an Oscar, she has an Oscar herself and she has a strong enough narrative to return to the Oscars. This film is eyeing a Venice premiere so unless it flops critically like The Laundromat, the assumption should be made that Netflix either has confidence in the film or that they’re planning to use Venice as a springboard to campaign the film.

At this stage I understand the scepticism behind The Power of the Dog but honestly if you’re not predicting it, you should be predicting at least two of Don’t Look UpThe Haarder They Fall and Unforgiven. And personally I’m not confident in the latter two outside of acting, screenplay and (in the case of The Harder They Fall) some of the technicals. Whilst Unforgiven will deliver baity material for the actors, I think it will have to be visually experimental like Nora Fingscheidt’s last film to break into Picture or Director and I’m not confident that The Harder They Fall‘s director will be able to crack the lineup with such an unknown name.

I think what should be stressed is that whilst this year was an anomalous one, the Oscars are still largely a studio game. The days of Harvey Weinstein may be gone but the Oscars are very regulated. Occasionally you’ll have your occasional A24 or Neon film when those distributors put in a campaign and you’ll see something from Sony Pictures Releasing break in if the land a big director like Gerwig and Tarantino. However the big studios who almost always land at least one Best Picture nomination are Searchlight, Focus/Universal,  Netflix and Warner Brothers. 20th Century Studios is another one that tends to do well.

It’s why at least one of The French Dispatch and Nightmare Alley are more than likely getting a Best Picture nomination unless the reviews are complete trash like Hillbilly Elegy. Searchlight is the studio equivalent of Meryl Streep at the Oscars. It’s almost like they own them lol. If they can get something as divisive as Jojo Rabbit in, you can be sure they can get almost anything in. Same with Focus/Universal. At least one of Dear Evan HansenLast Night in SohoThe Card Counter and The Northman will receive a Best Picture nomination. And you can be sure that at least one of them (especially one of the latter three) will get acting nominations. Something like Don’t Worry Darling wouldn’t have stood a strong chance with a distributor like Bleecker Street but if it’s good and Warner Bros. campaigns for it, then it should stand a strong chance.

FYC Emmys: "The Crown" in all categories, "I May Destroy You" in all categories, "It's a Sin" in all categories, "Small Axe" in all categories, Billie Piper ("I Hate Suzie"), Yvonne Strahovski ("Stateless") and Ruth Wilson ("His Dark Materials")

Profile picture
    Viridiana
    Topics:

Lol, come on, all the movies we are talking about at this stage (Gucci, Nightmare Alley, Soho, et) are Oscar submissions disguised as movies. Kudos to him for verbalizing it tbh (as if the actors didn´t know that when they get their agents call…)

Profile picture
    puck05
    Topics:

Spotted on AW, apparently from a Reddit thread: ‘My husband is working on a Christian Bale film right now and the director has told the crew several times that they aren’t making a movie, they’re making an Oscar submission. So silly and stupid and pretentious. Especially because this crew has worked on several Oscar winners already without that ever being their specific goal.’ Obvs this is about Amsterdam. How embarrassing if true.

David O. Russell shouldn’t call himself a filmmaker. Him and his films will be immediately forgotten when he retires.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Lol, come on, all the movies we are talking about at this stage (Gucci, Nightmare Alley, Soho, et) are Oscar submissions disguised as movies.

Last Night in Soho could get nominated, but a psychological horror film is not an Oscar submission disguised as a movie.

Profile picture
    Viridiana
    Topics:

Last Night in Soho could get nominated, but a psychological horror film is not an Oscar submission disguised as a movie.

True. It should have been Don’t look up instead of Soho.

Viewing 15 posts - 391 through 405 (of 502 total)

The topic ‘Very Early 2022 Oscar Predictions (Part 5)’ is closed to new replies.