Home Forums Movies Very Early 2022 Oscar Predictions (Part 6)

Very Early 2022 Oscar Predictions (Part 6)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 452 total)
Created
2 weeks ago
Last Reply
3 hours ago
( +4 hidden )
replies
views
users
LA26
schmids
fefface
  • Profile picture
    schmids
    Topics:

I think Jodie Comer is very likely getting nominated. Doesn’t she have Free Guy (I know that’s obviously not an awards film) this year too? And the final season of <i>Killing Eve </i>next year? If her performance is as good as we think it is I think she could be at the very least the Vanessa Kirby of this year and snag Golden Globe, BAFTA and SAG nominations with a strong performance + a star is born narrative.

If she’s as good as all this early chatter seems to indicate she is, Comer has a very good chance of being next year’s young, first-time Leading Actress nominee. Based on this interview with Wolski I am leaning towards her being Lead and not Supporting.

As for the rest of it, we know Driver will be good as he always is but I just can’t quite see him getting nominated for a role of this nature. Villains do often do well in Supporting but…yeah. And if the Academy wants to nominate him they will have other options.

I recently saw News of the World and it’s cinematography is gorgeous, so if Wolski thinks his work on Duel is better than that then he could go b2b.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    mitchellfleming21
    Topics:

EARLY APRIL PREDICTIONS:
    (I kinda have a feeling Amsterdam will be this year’s big failed Oscar bait, and O Russell being O Russell might make a lot of people not wanna support it when voting. Also, who knows if it’s even coming out this year. Isn’t it still filming?)

Best Picture:

Don’t Look Up
    Don’t Worry Darling
    Eternals
    The French Dispatch
    The Harder They Fall
    The Last Duel
    Last Night in Soho
    Nightmare Alley
    The Power of the Dog
    The Tragedy of Macbeth

Best Director:
    Jane Campion – The Power of the Dog
    Guillermo Del Toro – Nightmare Alley
    Ridley Scott – The Last Duel
    Olivia Wilde – Don’t Worry Darling
    Edgar Wright – Last Night in Soho

Best Actor:
    Bradley Cooper – Nightmare Alley
    Benedict Cumberbatch – The Power of the Dog
    Leonardo DiCaprio – Don’t Look Up
    Jonathan Majors – The Harder They Fall
    Denzel Washington – The Tragedy of Macbeth

Best Actress:
    Kirsten Dunst – The Power of the Dog
    Jennifer Hudson – Respect
    Frances McDormand – The Tragedy of Macbeth
    Florence Pugh – Don’t Worry Darling
    Tessa Thompson – Passing

Best Supporting Actor:
    Adam Driver – The Last Duel
    Willem Dafoe – The Card Counter
    Idris Elba – The Harder They Fall
    Jeremy Irons – House of Gucci
    Jesse Plemons – The Power of the Dog

Best Supporting Actress:
    Cate Blanchett – Nightmare Alley
    Jodie Comer – The Last Duel
    Anya Taylor Joy – Last Night in Soho
    Regina King – The Harder They Fall
    Ruth Negga – Passing

Best Original Screenplay:
    Katie Silberman, Carey Van Dyke and Shane Van Dyke – Don’t Worry Darling
    Adam McKay – Don’t Look Up
    Wes Anderson – The French Dispatch
    Jeymes Samuel & Boaz Yakin – The Harder They Fall
    Edgar Wright & Krysty Wilson-Cairns – Last Night in Soho

Best Adapted Screenplay:
    Chloe Zhao – Eternals
    Ben Affleck, Matt Damon and Nicole Holofcener – The Last Duel
    Guillermo Del Toro & Kim Morgan – Nightmare Alley
    Rebecca Hall – Passing
    Jane Campion – The Power of the Dog

Best Cinematography:
    Greig Fraser – Dune
    Dariusz Wolski – The Last Duel
    Chung-hoon Chung – Last Night in Soho
    Dan Lausten – Nightmare Alley
    Ari Wegner – The Power of the Dog

Best Score:
    Hans Zimmer – Dune
    Ramin Djawadi – Eternals
    Steven Price – Last Night in Soho
    Alexandre Desplat – Nightmare Alley
    Jonny Greenwood – The Power of the Dog

Best Editing:
    Hank Corwin – Don’t Look Up
    Andrew Weisblum – The French Dispatch
    Claire Simpson – The Last Duel
    Paul Machliss – Last Night in Soho
    Peter Sciberras – The Power of the Dog

Best Sound:
    Dune
    Eternals
    In the Heights
    Last Night in Soho
    No Time to Die

Best Visual Effects:
    Dune
    Eternals
    Godzilla vs Kong
    No Time to Die
    The Suicide Squad

Best Production Design:
    Dune
    The French Dispatch
    The Last Duel
    Last Night in Soho
    Nightmare Alley

Best Costume Design:
    Dune
    Eternals
    The French Dispatch
    House of Gucci
    Last Night in Soho

Best Hair and Make Up:
    The French Dispatch
    House of Gucci
    The Last Duel
    Last Night in Soho
    The Suicide Squad

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    fefface
    Topics:

If she’s as good as all this early chatter seems to indicate she is, Comer has a very good chance of being next year’s young, first-time Leading Actress nominee. Based on this interview with Wolski I am leaning towards her being Lead and not Supporting.  

I’ve been saying this for a while and honestly, the more we hear about this film the more convinced I am it’s happening. Whether she gets the nomination or not I don’t know, and who knows how much screen time she has, but the entire plot hinges on her character. And, crucially, the film believes her – which I am extremely glad to hear.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

If she’s as good as all this early chatter seems to indicate she is, Comer has a very good chance of being next year’s young, first-time Leading Actress nominee. Based on this interview with Wolski I am leaning towards her being Lead and not Supporting. As for the rest of it, we know Driver will be good as he always is but I just can’t quite see him getting nominated for a role of this nature. Villains do often do well in Supporting but…yeah. And if the Academy wants to nominate him they will have other options. I recently saw News of the World and it’s cinematography is gorgeous, so if Wolski thinks his work on Duel is better than that then he could go b2b.

I hadn’t read the interview with Woslki! If Comer is as good in this role as she’s suggested to be then she could indeed be next year’s first time actress nominee (like Vanessa Kirby this year). I wonder considering what fefface mentioned about the film’s possible subversion of its source materials treatment of its principal female if Comer might get some critics rallying behind her. I have my hopes high considering how good Nicole Holofcener is at writing strong multi-faceted female leads.

I’m not predicting Driver but I wouldn’t entirely rule him out. I think he has a strong shot at ending up like Scarlett Johansson in getting double nominations due to his strong individual buzz, the buzz of his projects and the year he’s had.

FYC Emmys: "The Crown" in all categories, "I May Destroy You" in all categories, "It's a Sin" in all categories, "Small Axe" in all categories, Billie Piper ("I Hate Suzie"), Yvonne Strahovski ("Stateless") and Ruth Wilson ("His Dark Materials")

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Synthadora
    Topics:

Didn’t he say her point of view is the last to be shown? Kinda sounds supporting tbh ain’t nothing wrong with that though.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    schmids
    Topics:

I hadn’t read the interview with Woslki! If Comer is as good in this role as she’s suggested to be then she could indeed be next year’s first time actress nominee (like Vanessa Kirby this year). I wonder considering what fefface mentioned about the film’s possible subversion of its source materials treatment of its principal female if Comer might get some critics rallying behind her. I have my hopes high considering how good Nicole Holofcener is at writing strong multi-faceted female leads. I’m not predicting Driver but I wouldn’t entirely rule him out. I think he has a strong shot at ending up like Scarlett Johansson in getting double nominations due to his strong individual buzz, the buzz of his projects and the year he’s had.

It’s linked at the end of the Part 5 thread – here’s the link.

And yeah it appears that the film will believe Marguerite, which is a good thing, but I imagine it will still explore the fact that several of the characters don’t. If they can achieve what Wolski talks about in terms of telling the story through a 21st century lens then it could work, but any film that includes a scene of serious sexual assault, as this one does, is going to invite a lot of commentary as to whether or not it needs to exist.

The combination of Comer and Holofcener gives me good reason to believe that Marguerite will be well written and represented. But there will be a lot of people who will avoid it just based on the subject matter.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    schmids
    Topics:

Didn’t he say her point of view is the last to be shown? Kinda sounds supporting tbh ain’t nothing wrong with that though.

I don’t take away from what he said about perspectives that the film is divided into three distinct parts – by ‘final perspective’ I think he was just referring to the order he discussed the characters in and could just as easily have said ‘and the final perspective is the husband’, if that makes sense.

And even if it is, all three characters are going to appear in all three perspectives…so it wouldn’t follow that she would have to be Supporting in that scenario.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    walkinuniverse
    Topics:

The fact that Ridley Scott opted to cast Jodie Comer for the Napoleon epic simply because he was impressed by her in The Last Duel is already sign that she’s gonna eat this up. The same thing can be said for Adam Driver.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    crabbie
    Topics:

Ridley Scott is so hit and miss though. Michelle Williams couldn’t break in for All the Money in the World since the best actress competition was so fierce and next season looks just as competitive.

Michelle Williams Oscar campaign manager.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    schmids
    Topics:

Ridley Scott is so hit and miss though. Michelle Williams couldn’t break in for All the Money in the World since the best actress competition was so fierce and next season looks just as competitive.

Scott is hit and miss, but I genuinely believe the script is the most important thing for this particular piece. They have to get it exactly right.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    walkinuniverse
    Topics:

Ridley Scott is so hit and miss though. Michelle Williams couldn’t break in for All the Money in the World since the best actress competition was so fierce and next season looks just as competitive.

Good thing Jodie can be campaigned in supporting if the lead category is stacked. I just hope its not totally a category fraud though.

We also have to consider that All The Money in the World took a significant bullet amidst the Spacey controversy that year which led to Plummer getting the sole nod for saving that film at the last minute.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Fletcher
    Topics:

Please God!!!

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Gunpowder M.M.
    Topics:

Lets be real, most of Ridley’s movies involved in award contention are misses these days but Holofcener is much more promising than the man who wrote the day the earth stood still.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    schmids
    Topics:

Lets be real, most of Ridley’s movies involved in award contention are misses these days but Holofcener is much more promising than the man who wrote the day the earth stood still.

His last two Oscar movies got eight nominations between them.

But you’re right about Holofcener. She’s phenomenal.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    kaziz
    Topics:

My April predix (changed it up just a lil)

Best Picture

1. The Power of the Dog
    2. The French Dispatch
    3. Last Night in Soho
    4. Passing
    5. Annette
    6. Nightmare Alley
    8. Soggy Bottom
    9. The Lost Daughter
    10. Unforgiven

Best Director

1. Wes Anderson, The French Dispatch
    2. Jane Campion, The Power of the Dog
    3. Edgar Wright, Last Night in Soho
    4. Rebecca Hall, Passing
    5. Paul Thomas Anderson, Soggy Bottom

Lead Actress

1. Kirsten Dunst, The Power of the Dog
    2. Olivia Colman, The Lost Daughter
    3. Frances McDormand, The Tragedy of Macbeth
    4. Martha Plimpton, Mass
    5. Tessa Thompson, Passing

Lead Actor

1. Adam Driver, Annette
    2. Benedict Cumberbatch, The Power of the Dog
    3. Denzel Washington, The Tragedy of Macbeth
    4. Oscar Isaac, The Card Counter
    5. Bradley Cooper, Soggy Bottom

Supporting Actress

1. Ann Dowd, Mass
    2. Regina King, The Harder They Fall
    3. Anya Taylor-Joy, Last Night in Soho
    4. Ruth Negga, Passing
    5. Thomasin McKenzie, The Power of the Dog

Supporting Actor

1. Willem Dafoe, The Card Counter
    2. Jesse Plemons, The Power of the Dog
    3. Idris Elba, The Harder They Fall
    4. Kodi Smit-McPhee, The Power of the Dog
    5. Al Pacino, House of Gucci

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 452 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.