Home Forums Movies Very Early 2022 Oscar Predictions (Part 6)

Very Early 2022 Oscar Predictions (Part 6)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 286 through 300 (of 519 total)
Created
3 months ago
Last Reply
2 months ago
replies
views
users
LA26
fefface
schmids
  • Profile picture
    JV
    Topics:

https://mobile.twitter.com/NextBestPicture/status/1382816689834708994

In the Heights reactions are mostly positive.

Profile picture
    Igor Alves
    Topics:

Kristen on Lady Di and the movie “Spencer”. You play Princess Diana in your next film. Are you afraid of the reactions, given the public’s sensitivity to this beloved woman? No, my only wish is to do a good job on the screen. I was very young when she died, but I was shocked because it was the first time that a famous person passed away and I remember everyone talking about it for months. I grew up in Los Angeles, not London, which allows me to be a little further away from this apprehension of playing Lady Di. What I remembered first in my preparation is your connection with your fans. She lived an intimate drama being totally neglected in her intimate life, but adored by the audience. It is a tragedy to be so adored by the crowds and rejected by those who have to give you love and support when you return home. She was so alone and isolated. Diana is still an icon today, as she continues to live in people’s minds through her children. They are an example of a loving mother and woman who gave her life to save her children. How do you feel playing the “princess of hearts”? I am far from taking it lightly. It is one of the saddest stories of the last few decades, and I do not want to just play Diana, I want to understand, study and incorporate her in all her complexity as a woman. It’s been a long, long time since I’ve been so fascinated by a character. I read several biographies, watched documentaries, listened to all Lady Di’s interviews and worked for months to master her accent. I have a dialect trainer with me every day, because she had a very special voice, and it is essential that I succeed in this challenge. It’s a great experience. Each person has a different view of what Diana meant to him. Honestly, my biggest concern remains the script that is by Steven Knight.

Jackie’s screenwriter was even less trustworthy, and if I remember well Pablo Larrain did a bunch of rewrites. Even if the Spencer script wasn’t originally great, Larrain probably fixed it.

Profile picture
    CuriousHedgehog
    Topics:

https://mobile.twitter.com/NextBestPicture/status/1382816689834708994 In the Heights reactions are mostly positive.

Was just about to say, initial reactions to In the Heights are SUPER positive. Anyone have it in their early predictions?

FYC:

Best Screenplay: Never Rarely Sometimes Always (Eliza Hitman)
    Best Actress: Sidney Flanigan ("Never Rarely Sometimes Always")

Profile picture
    RIDLEY SCOTT
    Topics:

You can’t use editing to change the monstrously offensive, inauthentic, caricatured Italian accent that Leto used in that clip. If it comes off just as bad on screen, Ridley Scott and Jared Leto should never work again.

Ridley Scott is a huge brand and he is the full owner of the RSCG. But it HoG is a total disaster it could kill the career of Jared Leto.

Profile picture
    JV
    Topics:

Was just about to say, initial reactions to In the Heights are SUPER positive. Anyone have it in their early predictions?

The release date is the problem. With many contenders coming out this season I can see it being overlooked and forgotten like it happened with Rocketman.

But it looks like it will be joyful and crowdpleasing, and I’m expecting those kind of movies to do well next season.

Profile picture
    Igor Alves
    Topics:

Ridley Scott is a huge brand and he is the full owner of the RSCG. But it HoG is a total disaster it could kill the career of Jared Leto.

As much as I dislike Leto, no way his career can be killed so easily. The industry seems to really like him, he has great connections and a bunch of promising projects (Morbius, Darren Aronofsky’s Adrift, Tron 3) so even if this flops, he’ll probably have some other hit soon.

Profile picture
    RIDLEY SCOTT
    Topics:

As much as I dislike Leto, no way his career can be killed so easily. The industry seems to really like him, he has great connections and a bunch of promising projects (Morbius, Darren Aronofsky’s Adrift, Tron 3) so even if this flops, he’ll probably have some other hit soon.

You are right. I only said any actor even Jared Leto is less powerful than a Legendary Director who is the Owner of Companies in Ads, TV and Film Worlds

Profile picture
    CuriousHedgehog
    Topics:

Also, continuing to look forward to Spencer. I don’t really do year in advanced predictions, because I can’t keep up with everything, but I’ve had Stewart in my Actress lineup because I wanna have hope.

FYC:

Best Screenplay: Never Rarely Sometimes Always (Eliza Hitman)
    Best Actress: Sidney Flanigan ("Never Rarely Sometimes Always")

Profile picture
    gorman
    Topics:

https://mobile.twitter.com/NextBestPicture/status/1382816689834708994 In the Heights reactions are mostly positive.

Always torn with these kind of reactions, especially when the praise is as effusive as this. Early calls like ‘one of the best New York films ever made’ and ‘put X in your Oscar predictions now’ generate more doubt than confidence in early reactions for me. Rarely do they represent the eventual reception of the movie, but at the same time this is more gushing and positive than you usually see, which is saying a lot. I am excited for this though, and I’ll be glad if it is half as good as these reactions suggests because it does look like a really nice, vibrant film.

Profile picture
    LA26
    Topics:

Came across a small update on Don’t Look Up from a Jennifer Lawrence fan account. McKay talked to the NYT and described it as a dark comedy about climate change and the way people communicate today: https://mobile.twitter.com/JenniferUpdates/status/1381666284161613828

Profile picture
    vinichelsea
    Topics:

Honestly, my biggest concern remains the script that is by Steven Knight.

Yes, a little worrying… to be fair, by listing Knight’s projects you see that he is very malleable according to the director’s wishes. He can go from under the radar and brilliant (“Dirty Pretty Things”) to over the top and horrible (“Seventh Son”). He writes psychological dramas about men (“Burnt”), older men (“Eastern Promises” – that’s a very good screenplay here), women (“Woman Walks Ahead” – a movie that deserved better from A24, Jessica Chastain is wonderful here), older women (“The Hundred-Foot Journey”), there’s drama, romance, thriller… a weird salad. If he goes by what Pablo Larrain says it should be fine.

Also, the natural interest around Diana makes me think there is no wat this is not getting some push in certain festivals.

Neon is going to promote hard the documentaries “The First Wave” and “Flee”, but this is actually one of their most recognizable projects, too. There is the western debut from Apichatpong Weerasethakul with Tilda Swinton that looks promising but not Oscar friendly, but Spencer’s biggest competition is shaping up to be “The Actor”, produced by and starring Ryan Gosling, directed by Duke Johnson (“Anomalisa”). After their flop this year, I hope they can go all out with these titles.

Profile picture
    Igor Alves
    Topics:

Yes, a little worrying… to be fair, by listing Knight’s projects you see that he is very malleable according to the director’s wishes. He can go from under the radar and brilliant (“Dirty Pretty Things”) to over the top and horrible (“Seventh Son”). He writes psychological dramas about men (“Burnt”), older men (“Eastern Promises” – that’s a very good screenplay here), women (“Woman Walks Ahead” – a movie that deserved better from A24, Jessica Chastain is wonderful here), older women (“The Hundred-Foot Journey”), there’s drama, romance, thriller… a weird salad. If he goes by what Pablo Larrain says it should be fine. Also, the natural interest around Diana makes me think there is no wat this is not getting some push in certain festivals. Neon is going to promote hard the documentaries “The First Wave” and “Flee”, but this is actually one of their most recognizable projects, too. There is the western debut from Apichatpong Weerasethakul with Tilda Swinton that looks promising but not Oscar friendly, but Spencer’s biggest competition is shaping up to be “The Actor”, produced by and starring Ryan Gosling, directed by Duke Johnson (“Anomalisa”). After their flop this year, I hope they can go all out with these titles.

Not that relevant, but I remember there was a lot of talks about the Burnt script being great, the main issue apparently is that Weinstein butchered the movie.

As for the festival talk for Spencer, I’m 100% sure it’s going to Venice (and in competition). Pablo Larrain is a Venice favorite and such high profile project is an easy yes for Alberto Barbera. By the way, The Actor won’t be ready for this year, it’s probably a 2022 release.

Profile picture
    Gunpowder M.M.
    Topics:

1. I’m never going to trust twitter since crtics tried to tell me zendaya was a sure 5th slot with puissance.

2. I would like the reactions to be true as it’s one of the contenders I am looking foward in to watching.

3. You can not cancel leto, suicide squad was a film more anticipated than House of Gucci could ever be due to our current superhero craze and he’s said to be the worst part, and he still got 2 award nominatons for a movie barley anyone has seen during a pandemic.

Profile picture
    diego
    Topics:

I don’t see In the Heights surviving that June release tbh.

Profile picture
    Louis Cypher
    Topics:

Some movies come with very heavy burdens and run out of gas by the time the Oscars come around. 1917 and Dunkirk felt that way to me. People were ready to give them all the awards in the world but in the end they both fizzled out due to over-hype.

Going back to Gucci real quick… could it be next year’s Bohemian Rhapsody? A movie SO popular that the Oscars just have to take it seriously, regardless of how critically panned it might be? Bohemian has 60% on RT, not exactly an Oscar-winning proposition.

And some of those performances in BR were schlocky as hell… and the script was basically Walk Hard. I can’t see Ridley Scott going full shlock especially with material and actors of that caliber.

Viewing 15 posts - 286 through 300 (of 519 total)

The topic ‘Very Early 2022 Oscar Predictions (Part 6)’ is closed to new replies.