Home Forums Movies Very Early 2022 Oscar Predictions (Part 6)

Very Early 2022 Oscar Predictions (Part 6)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 421 through 435 (of 519 total)
Created
1 month ago
Last Reply
3 weeks ago
replies
views
users
LA26
fefface
schmids
  • Profile picture
    gorman
    Topics:

Yeah I’m torn between it being just too weird – there’s definitely some odd stuff happening in this trailer – and seeing it as Carax maybe being the European auteur that ‘breaks out’ next awards season. Plus you can’t immediately count out actors like Driver and Cotillard. As others have mentioned, some weird stuff has beaten more Academy-friendly fare in the last few years.

Yeah same thinking here. I can see them embracing this, though – the star power and the strength of Carax’s filmography will probably win over quite a lot of people, plus if it earns raves and an award out of Cannes, it’ll be one of the first films to get a really massive boost this year.

Profile picture
    braydenfitzsimmons
    Topics:

It won’t be a contender, but Downton Abbey 2 started production last week and will be released on December 22, 2021: https://deadline.com/2021/04/downton-abbey-2-cast-director-release-date-confirmed-as-production-gets-underway-1234739307/

Maggie Smith for Best Supporting Actress, (again?)

Emmys FYC | Alan Tudyk in “Resident Alien” | Billie Piper in “I Hate Suzie” | Ego Nwodim in “Saturday Night Live” | Kaley Cuoco in “Harley Quinn” | “Dickinson” | “P-Valley” | “Pose” | “Superstore”

Profile picture
    diego
    Topics:

A couple of things:

1. I watched In the Heights, it’s a little difficult to make predictions this early on but for some reason, I think its Oscar run could be a little like CRA’s.

2. Annette looks interesting but I really don’t see this being an Oscar contender.

Profile picture
    braydenfitzsimmons
    Topics:

It’s funny to me how many of you are ignoring Jennifer Hudson as Aretha Franklin in Respect; she was a contender THIS year till the movie was delayed. And as I’ve been saying in THIS year’s race, if neither Viola Davis nor Andra Day wins expect #OscarsSoWhite to return with a vengeance — and unlike the Idol “three divas” vote-off, THIS time… Effie WHITE’s gonnaaaaa……. win. 😀

And she and the film will also have the benefit of Erivo’s miniseries flopped into oblivion.

Emmys FYC | Alan Tudyk in “Resident Alien” | Billie Piper in “I Hate Suzie” | Ego Nwodim in “Saturday Night Live” | Kaley Cuoco in “Harley Quinn” | “Dickinson” | “P-Valley” | “Pose” | “Superstore”

Profile picture
    OneAndOnly
    Topics:

What’s your thinking on it? I feel like it’s very much a Globes movie, a la the Prom.

In a usual year, possibly (it doesn’t have the star power and Netflix).  But this year the C/M is so competitive, I see no way he or that film makes it in (unless everything flops).

Have a great day if you see this!

FYC: Ted Lasso

Straight/BLM

Profile picture
    fefface
    Topics:

Yeah same thinking here. I can see them embracing this, though – the star power and the strength of Carax’s filmography will probably win over quite a lot of people, plus if it earns raves and an award out of Cannes, it’ll be one of the first films to get a really massive boost this year.

Amazon have just announced it for late summer on their socials so I’m now very skeptical it goes anywhere for the televised awards. Too early.

For Cannes, it’s Driver or the Palme IMO. But will Driver even be there? He starts White Noise in June and travel restrictions may still be in place so it’s unlikely he’ll be able to just show up.

Profile picture
    fefface
    Topics:

In a usual year, possibly (it doesn’t have the star power and Netflix). But this year the C/M is so competitive, I see no way he or that film makes it in (unless everything flops).

It doesn’t have Netflix but it does have Disney.

Profile picture
    Rmcd8
    Topics:

Why all the hype for Last Night in Soho?

There’s plenty of reasons to think it’s got a shot at being a contender/also ran nominee in a couple of key categories. But people on GD overhype it (with almost zero substantial information) to the point of sounding like they are doing formal press for it.

I think it’s partly an Anya TJ obsession thing. I mean I get it, I like her too. But this forum definitely is a bit biased.

Profile picture
    Stank83
    Topics:

Annette
    The Last Duel
    House of Gucci

2021 is the year of Adam Driver.
    We are just living in it

Profile picture
    ZACHARY ROLF
    Topics:

Do you think Adam Driver can get three Globe nominations?

Comedy/Musical Actor- Annette

Drama Actor- House of Gucci

S. Actor- The Last Duel

I’m not saying it’s going to happen, but do you think there’s a possibility he gets in all three?

Profile picture
    Drusilla
    Topics:

Do you think Adam Driver can get three Globe nominations? Comedy/Musical Actor- Annette Drama Actor- House of Gucci S. Actor- The Last Duel I’m not saying it’s going to happen, but do you think there’s a possibility he gets in all three?

Maybe, after all Helen Mirren got 3 Globe nominations back in 2006 (albeit 2 in the same category).

Profile picture
    SN
    Topics:

I doubt Annette will be a contender.

Profile picture
    Ash
    Topics:

There’s plenty of reasons to think it’s got a shot at being a contender/also ran nominee in a couple of key categories. But people on GD overhype it (with almost zero substantial information) to the point of sounding like they are doing formal press for it.

I think it’s partly an Anya TJ obsession thing. I mean I get it, I like her too. But this forum definitely is a bit biased.

Anya is no Jennifer Lawrence

Profile picture
    LA26
    Topics:

I’d rather Driver get nominated for something original, unconventional and weird like Annette instead of House of Gucci.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

I don’t know whether Annette will be a contender (I am certainly excited for it though) but as others have said pretty much every year we have a strange/controversial film in the mix and considering the pedigree of this one I’m not ready to rule it out yet.

That being said the early release date isn’t great. Perhaps Amazon are prioritising Louis Wain? I don’t know. I can see this range from being completely shut out to being a top contender although at the moment I only have Cottillard (in supporting) and the screenplay above the line.

Carax could be “the European director who breaks through at the Oscars” this season but I think that will be Claire Denis and that she’ll repeat what Pawlikowski and Vinterberg did and turn a BAFTA nomination into an Oscar nom.

FYC Emmys: "The Crown" in all categories, "I May Destroy You" in all categories, "It's a Sin" in all categories, "Small Axe" in all categories, Billie Piper ("I Hate Suzie"), Yvonne Strahovski ("Stateless") and Ruth Wilson ("His Dark Materials")

Viewing 15 posts - 421 through 435 (of 519 total)

The topic ‘Very Early 2022 Oscar Predictions (Part 6)’ is closed to new replies.